New to cycling after a hybrid bike... are these brands good?

anonymousmoose

New to cycling after a hybrid bike... are these brands good?

Postby anonymousmoose » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Considering I'm living right next to the swan river in Perth (great cyclist tracks here) and I need to do some more exercise, I decided I'll buy a push-bike.

I'm looking for something like a hybrid bike.

I was going to buy pre-owned but was advised not to.

I kind of want to keep the budget at around $400.

So far I've been quoted a Merida Hybride 24 speed brand new, $490 they want for it. But online there is a Polygon Heist 2.0 Hybrid Bike Shimano Altus 24 speed $370.

Has anyone got any recommendation or brands which are good? Or am I totally missing the point and those there are no good :-)

Any help would be appreciated :-)

Ozkaban

Re: New to cycling after a hybrid bike... are these brands g

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Merida is a good brand and polygon is 'store' brand, but I've heard plenty good about them.

Reconsider second hand - especially alloy bikes. You'll get a much better bike for the money if you're careful.

My first bike was a trek hybrid off eBay that was a great first bike. Let me work out if I liked cycling enough before spending too much.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Merida is a good brand and polygon is 'store' brand, but I've heard plenty good about them.

Reconsider second hand - especially alloy bikes. You'll get a much better bike for the money if you're careful.

My first bike was a trek hybrid off eBay that was a great first bike. Let me work out if I liked cycling enough before spending too much.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the info, I cant seem to find any good pre-owned bikes in Perth where I live and dont want to drive and pick one up, my little Merc sedan wouldn't fit it in the boot :-(

I did go to a police auction but the bikes either went for stupidly high money or were in junk condition...

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm

+1 Second Hand.

I have never bought second hand but based on my experience selling second hand, you can certainly get your monies worth, if you know what you're after.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 pm

What do you guys think of the Polygon Heist 2.0

http://www.getprice.com.au/Polygon-Heis ... 851076.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;