Looking for a New Bike. What to get?

Huski67

Looking for a New Bike. What to get?

Postby Huski67 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Gday everyone,

I currently own a 15yo Konya Mountain Bike which i purchased from Rays Bicycles years ago in Preston. Don't think they are there anymore. The bike has had very little use over the years. However, recently I have started riding it again. I just replaced the original knobby tyres as with age the side walls were cracking. I got a pair of cheap Kmart tyres for it. I find that the bike is heavy and with 26 x 1.95 tyres is a pain in the butt up hills. I really struggle up hills and if too steep i have to stop and walk the rest of the way.

I'm looking at getting a Road bike but have no idea what to get. Have been reading the forum and its just all too confusing as there's so much out there in terms of makes and models and price. I was looking at a Reid Bike mainly due to price. However, after reading a post i'm hesitant to get one now. Can any1 shed some light on what is decent in a road bike between say $500-$750. Since i'm not a regular rider i don't want to be spending much more for something that may end up collecting dust like my MTB.

Oh almost forgot, would a lighter road bike help me riding up hills compared with a MTB or am I expecting too much?.

Cheers,
Greg.. (Huski67)

silentbutdeadly

Re: Looking for a New Bike. What to get?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 am

Huski67 wrote:...would a lighter road bike help me riding up hills compared with a MTB or am I expecting too much?
You doth expecteth too much. By your own admission, you are riding a neglected 15 year old MTB to which you have fitted cheap boat anchor tyres. You are also implying that you haven't ridden much. So you are not bike fit, riding a neglected bike and trying to bash your way up hills...success will come slowly using this method.

My suggestion would be to invest some time, effort and a little money in your current bike through thorough lubrication and adjustment and perhaps a new chain and some lighter, folding (rather than wire bead) tyres like Schwalbe Marathons. It won't make the thing a speed machine but it will reduce the rolling resistance no end. And it'll bring close to the performance realm of a cheap roadie anyway given your fitness and technique...

Once you've ridden that into the ground then the roadie will be well worth the investment
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks silentbutdeadly for your reply...

My MTB neglected yes in terms of being ridden, but is in great condition.. Had it serviced 2 years ago and everything was adjusted back then. Its always in the garage out of the elements. The only thing it collects dust and needs a wash. As for my riding, im not totally unfit. I have managed to ride the MTB a total of 100kms in the last week or so, with the longest ride about 40kms. It's just a real struggle up hills. I guess the Kmart cheapie tyres haven't helped the weight..

I had a motorbike accident years ago in which i wrenched my right knee. Sometime it starts aching on hills and i have to stop. On a flat its fine.

Im hesitant in spending more $$$ on a old bike to be honest.
The other thing is i went into a bike shop and had a look at a roadie, was horrified at the sight of the 700/23c tyres. Think thats what they were. How can those tiny things be stable on the road???..

Im actually scared to even buy one.. LOL..

Greg, (Huski67)

PS.. If I do indeed get one is it much to get used to going from a 2inch tyre to a 23mm tyre??
Just your average Cycling Hack rider.. Trying to Keep fit. Owner of a 1990's Konya MTB..

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 pm

If you are worried about the skinny road bike tyre, try some lighter weight slicks for you MTB, as from above. They make a big difference, and should be able to find some decent for around $25 ea or really good for $50 ea. if it turns out that you love riding, then it's money we'll spent, or if you don't then you haven't spent a large amount on a low end road bike.

Riding 700x23 tyres is really harsh compared to MTB tyres, speaking from experience going to a roadie this year after many on MTB. Your body won't hate you, but you can feel the difference.

Any decent, even a low end 'brand' MTB should climb a hill no problems, they have low garig which mans you can just keep spinning til you get there. A road bike will not have the same low gears and while they are generally lighter and a bit more sleek will probably be just as much hard work up the hills, just different.

Get yourself fitter, ride for a few months at least, then decide which way to go with a new bike.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Thx bychosis,

Ok I need to ask this how much weight can i save from Kmart wired 26 x 1.95's I have now compared to some lighter weight slicks?.. The other thing is, inside my rim it has 3 sizes, 26 x 1.75/1.95/2.1... Does this mean i can't get anything thinner for my rims than a 26 x 1.75 tyre??..

Yes, I realise that even a road bike won't be easy going up hills however, with the less weight i was hoping it would be easier. Guess i need to get on one and see for myself.

Having said all this I am still keen on getting a Roadie and keeping the MTB for local bike paths/trails.. Can any1 recommend something between $500 - $750...

Greg.. (Huski67)

PS.. The 700 x 23 tyres how strong are they?.. Can they take a bit or do they puncture easy.. Assuming you ride on roads..
Just your average Cycling Hack rider.. Trying to Keep fit. Owner of a 1990's Konya MTB..

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Punctures are a bit of a mystery to me, you can get 100000000000 punctures in one week but none for the next 20000 years :?

If you wanted a brand name LBS road bike, you'll be pushing the upper limits of your budget and the spec won't be very high compared to a bike bought from an online retailer like cyclingdeal, cyclingexpress, Reid or Polygon. I'd still recommend getting a bike from your LBS as you sound like you'll need a proper bike fit. You'll also get alot more mechanical support and general advice. Most LBS have some sort of group ride too. You may also have to factor in accessories too but if you purchase a bike new from your LBS they should be happy to sell them to you cheap. I'd recommend cycling shoes (clip in type), the associated pedal, cycling shorts, jersey, helmet, proper floor pump (you will need around 100psi in your tires), and a puncture repair kit (spare tube, minipump/CO2, tyre levers, saddle bag or similar, you'll want to be able to fix this on the fly).

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 am

Huski67 wrote: Ok I need to ask this how much weight can i save from Kmart wired 26 x 1.95's I have now compared to some lighter weight slicks?.. The other thing is, inside my rim it has 3 sizes, 26 x 1.75/1.95/2.1... Does this mean i can't get anything thinner for my rims than a 26 x 1.75 tyre??..
The 700 x 23 tyres how strong are they?.. Can they take a bit or do they puncture easy.. Assuming you ride on roads..
You might save over half a kilo just by switching to something like a Maxxis Xenith. These'll fit on your rims even at 1.5" width.

You might save another kilo or more with careful selection of parts like wheels and crankset....lot more money though.

700x23 tyres can be had that are nigh on bulletproof while others are thinner than cling film and sticker than sand paper. Personally, for simple gadding about while geting fit there is little to lose by fitting 25 or 28 width tyres in terms of speed but lots in terms of comfort. That said...my roadie runs 700x23 Maxxis Re-fuse and these have proven quite tough on the country roads as long as you keep the bike upright and the sidewalls off the road when cornering.

I can't recommend any particular roadies in your budget range simlpy because I don't know enough about them at this price point...frankly I think 2nd hand would be a better option at this level
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks guys for your replies, Some interesting info there...

I went to Reid Bicycles in Melbourne today opposite Vic Market. Had a look at their bikes and to me they looked half decent, especially for the price. The 3 bikes i saw were the Condor for $249, Aquila $390, and the Osprey at $490 from memory.. If anything i would go for the Osprey even if the white looks bland compared to the paintjob on the Aquila.

Has any1 on here ever owned one of these and if so are the worth buying?.. Also I have read a few threads on here about testing/riding bikes b4 you buy. Do most shops allow this practice?...

I went into BikeCity Warehouse and their store setup was a mess, bikes everywhere and you couldn't even walk up to the bike you wanted to see. All i saw was a Bauer Roadie, looked ok. The rest like i said were several feet away with bikes all around them, mainly Apollo roadies. The chap that I spoke to quoted totally different prices than what was advertised online, so I'm not too keen to give them my business.

Will check out Goldcross cycles tomorrow if I get the chance in Epping.

----------

silentbutdeadly wrote:You might save over half a kilo just by switching to something like a Maxxis Xenith. These'll fit on your rims even at 1.5" width.

You might save another kilo or more with careful selection of parts like wheels and crankset....lot more money though.
I don't really want to spend too much more $$$ on my MTB to be honest. Would prefer something new.. :)
usernameforme wrote: Most LBS have some sort of group ride too. You may also have to factor in accessories too but if you purchase a bike new from your LBS they should be happy to sell them to you cheap. I'd recommend cycling shoes (clip in type), the associated pedal, cycling shorts, jersey, helmet, proper floor pump (you will need around 100psi in your tires), and a puncture repair kit (spare tube, minipump/CO2, tyre levers, saddle bag or similar, you'll want to be able to fix this on the fly).
Interesting info there, since i may have to factor in other things in my budget as well as the bike like you mentioned..

Carriage

Postby Carriage » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 pm

The Epping store had virtually no stock when I went 2-3 weeks ago. When I say no stock I mean, no bikes and the last remnants of various accessories/parts. I don't think they were closing it down, but emptying it for renovations or something like that. Not sure if they're open again yet. It would be best to give them a ring first.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Carriage wrote:
The Epping store had virtually no stock when I went 2-3 weeks ago. When I say no stock I mean, no bikes and the last remnants of various accessories/parts. I don't think they were closing it down, but emptying it for renovations or something like that. Not sure if they're open again yet. It would be best to give them a ring first.

Ahh thanks for the info.. Just called, grand opening after renovations on the 20th October.. I will wait and check what they have when they open. :)

Snoopy007

Postby Snoopy007 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 pm

To be honest i personally don't think there is anything wrong with reid, but your lbs will tell you otherwise because they are the "new guy on the block" in a sense... Anyway when i was in your shoes a few months ago i had a little test ride on the Reid Falco (which i think is 800ish) to be honest, there was nothing wrong with it and i thought it was fine. The only reason i didnt end up getting it was because i wanted something that was a bit lighter and i could get some deals with clothing etc.

In the end i got my merida which set me back about $1300, plus shoes, clip ons and clothes. To be honest im happy i spent the extra few hundred bucks but thats only because of what i said before, i thought it'd be better supporting my LBS.. (horrible idea.. ill get to that), and also i plan on doing some racing in about 12-14 months and i thought the merida was more suitable, but having said that people do sometimes use reids for races (if you'd want to go into that) but really there is nothing wrong for reid even if you want to ride a few times a week.

The silly mistake which i said above was "supporting" my LBS, although i might cop some backlash for this, i recon its all fruit jelly... i had poor customer service, when we went 15 minutes over closing time he was getting annoyed. After taking a look at their prices (for other products) i realise they really werent that good, even though i formed a "relationship" really it was absolutley worthless, so really when you buy your bike ask them if you'll have to pay if you want them to fit things on for you (obviously you buy the stuff from somewhere else thats ok) as i find it annoying to have to around 40$ if i want to buy a new pair of wheels from them that will cost over 800$ anyway... Thas enough for my rant...

Basically make sure you get a good relationship with em, from what i do remember the guy at reid said that he'd put some extra stuff on for free ( i was gonna upgrade to mavic aksiums and gatorskin tyres), but don't quote me on that. if a lbs is pushy and stingy say thanks and go somewhere else. Back to the reid, i think for what you've specified it would essentially be perfect for you, also that reid model comes with 105 which has internal cabling which gives it a nice clean look, and its about half way up the shimano groupset list (but better... i wont go into that), and for 500-750$ for bike you''d be looking at a 2300 groupset, with some sora components if you were lucky (the cheapest groupset).

Yep go for a reid or compare, hell if you can get a tiagra for 750$ and feel more comfortable with a more common brand like giant then go for it, but like i said nothing wrong with a reid, they have a warranty and everything so really it's now just time to get test ride 20 different bikes and choose the 1 you like most!
2012 Merida Race Lite 904

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Cheers Snoopy007,

A nice bit of info there.. Yes, I am planning on testing a few bikes to compare what i like.. I like the Reid Osprey for $490, although the colour and graphics are really plain. At that price thats the last thing really that concerns me. Pitty the Aquila looks better.

I have been surfing online and looking at Giant Defy 3 and Fondriest Fz4 i think it was and a few Meridas. However like you said these are all well above the price the Reids are.

I also looked at Cell, didnt mind a couple of their bikes, but not keen on ordering a bike from Sydney. It would be different if they had an outlet in Melbourne for me to check the bikes out.