Bicycle frame building courses in Sydney?

stew

Bicycle frame building courses in Sydney?

Postby stew » Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 am

Hi,

Does anybody know whether there are any bicycle frame building courses in Sydney?

I am keen to learn but can't find anything suitable.

I'd be grateful for any advice or feedback...

Cheers,
Stew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 23, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi,
Just a short answer so that there is at least an answer.

From all of the feedback and past questions there are no courses running. Tafe did have a bicycle mechanic course however I believe it has stopped. Some local councils may offer short courses - more like introductory courses for general repairs.

For bike building, the best option is to take a traineeship (or work out a deal) with a frame builder. But who makes frames in Sydney... Paul Hillbrick.
Here are also some tips however am not sure how reliable this list of Australian Framebuilders is.
Cycling is in my BNA

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon May 26, 2008 11:07 am

A thread in the General Discussion forum threw up this link recently. She's a hobby frame builder and I think her website makes mention of a frame builder forum somewhere. Getting in touch with her and maybe finding the forum might be a starting point. She's in Sydney. I suspect this might be an endeavour which requires determination, a fair amount of tools and lots of hard lessons.

Cheers
Last edited by Jean on Mon May 26, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon May 26, 2008 11:42 am

I believe there is a guy in the Dagobah system who could teach you, but beware, there is a strong disturbance in the force.

I think there is a need for these types of courses. Maybe you should talk to your local advocacy group to see if they know anyone and organise it yourself. I think you'll have plenty of takers.

David