"Road bike party" video

gdt

"Road bike party" video

Postby gdt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:26 pm

This is worth a look.

Martyn Ashton takes the £10k carbon road bike used by Team Sky's Bradley Wiggins & Mark Cavendish for a ride with a difference. With a plan to push the limits of road biking as far as his lycra legs would dare, Martyn looked to get his ultimate ride out of the awesome Pinarello Dogma 2. This bike won the 2012 Tour de France - surely it deserves a Road Bike Party!
Somewhat spoiled by the sexism and the WD40 at the end. It would have totally rocked if they'd got Wiggo or Cav to do the service.

Also has a great comment
For Sale "gently used Pinarello road bike. never raced."

mikgit

Re: "Road bike party" video

Postby mikgit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm

isn't that how everyone rides... I know I do (well it seems that way in my head...)

...now wheres the part where they show how they do it, like in dirty tricks and cunning stunts...?
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:08 pm

At around $500 per frame, they probably used at least 10 Chinarellos to make the video. No way were they going to break 10 Pinarello frames.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:25 pm

biker jk wrote:At around $500 per frame, they probably used at least 10 Chinarellos to make the video. No way were they going to break 10 Pinarello frames.
I'd be suprised if he broke the bike used for the final takes. I presume he is/was a competition trials rider and has long since learned to stick the stunts on a trials bike, and he probably had a trials bike with him for test runs, and he probably learned any subtle differences for stunts with the drop bar and higher saddle on a cheaper bike.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:48 pm

:P
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/bN4_udGPZLM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

always wanted one of those red cannondales he's on
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Now that would make a good Strava segment.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Man, that is some wicked bike skills ....

Love to see the out takes of when things didn't quite go right ....

Arlberg

Some interesting bike riding on Youtube

Postby Arlberg » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Some interesting bike riding on Youtube.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... ZmJtYaUTa0#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

rkelsen

Re: Some interesting bike riding on Youtube

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Looks like he had lots of fun with it.

Interestingly, he used platform pedals and plain sneakers.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Awesome.... Had to have been running a tubeless system.

slowrider68

Postby slowrider68 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 pm

awesome bike skills,and i would like to see the out takes as well,would b interesting viewing and his service staff at the end are lot better looking than my bike mechanic lol

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Jeez this is popular, there's one in the Youtube thread and another dedicated thread to this vid.

Pressing the merge button in 3...2...1...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gistane

Postby gistane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:22 pm

He must have had a bit of a stack at about 1:28 in take a look at the blood on his right leg

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 pm

He has been around making trials videos since before Danny Macaskill born :D

Plus he did the road bike thing about 2 years ago

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 pm

gdt wrote:Somewhat spoiled by the sexism and the WD40 at the end.
There was sexism? Are you implying that women shouldn't be allowed to service bikes? Or that women shouldn't be allowed to wear clothes that make them look/feel good about themselves?

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:49 pm

gdt wrote:Somewhat spoiled by the sexism and the WD40 at the end. It would have totally rocked if they'd got Wiggo or Cav to do the service.
I agree. I was about to forward it to a bunch of friends, and found that I'd have to qualify the last few moments. So I didn't bother.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Undertow wrote:
There was sexism? Are you implying that women shouldn't be allowed to service bikes? Or that women shouldn't be allowed to wear clothes that make them look/feel good about themselves?
My take on this is that the women at the end are used in a tongue in cheek manner, similar to the way female models are used as decoration at car shows.

I personally don't have a problem with women used as models, using sex in advertising, revealing clothing on women, or men, or female mechanics - however, that video showed some amazing bike skills that can be appreciated by everyone regardless of gender. The fact that it ends with the ironic use of women as 'sexy mechnics' seems a tad unnecessary, and alienates as many viewers as those that it might tittilate. I don't think that a sexist ending to the video is the end of the world by any means, but its just annoying.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Undertow wrote:
They could service a bike by adjusting the deraileurs and changing the wheelset (ie roadside mechanical stop), which could all happen in 15 seconds (or be cut to 15 seconds in the video) and not bore the viewer.

Lubricating the crank and a phallic part of the frame in a way that has nothing to do with servicing, and was both predictable and suggestive did in fact detract from the video and yes I didn't pass the link along to a new female cyclist in my office for exactly that reason.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Jeez, ya'll need some lube around yer up tight panties.
Did it occur to you with the shot of WD40 at the beginning too, that there may have been some sponsorship or promotion, jest like all the Red Bull youtubes etc ?
I loved it, and thought it was a great poke in the eye to all the carbon haters.
You have officially become your parents.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Certainly gave a good close up of the WD40, Pinerallo and a few other sponsor names.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Certainly gave a good close up of the WD40, Pinerallo and a few other sponsor names.
I think that's called sponsorship. If I had to hazard a guess I would say they paid for the production to market their brands :roll:

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Undertow wrote:
Honestly people get over the sexism rubbish, so what they were pretty girls in nice gear, cleaning a bike, so what, you don't like it turn it off and play uno or something. If it was two half naked firies wiping down a bike the girls would probably like it too. I can see the future, now two dogs wiping down a bike after a stunt dude (or dudette) and animal lovers getting all pent up over using dogs as slave labour and animal sexism. PC has gone too far, enjoy the clip for what it is, awesome bike skills and some light entertainment.

Benny Hill must be rolling in his grave at todays lot....

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:21 pm

crazyjose wrote:
Undertow wrote:
Honestly people get over the sexism rubbish, so what they were pretty girls in nice gear, cleaning a bike, so what, you don't like it turn it off and play uno or something. If it was two half naked firies wiping down a bike the girls would probably like it too. I can see the future, now two dogs wiping down a bike after a stunt dude (or dudette) and animal lovers getting all pent up over using dogs as slave labour and animal sexism. PC has gone too far, enjoy the clip for what it is, awesome bike skills and some light entertainment.

Benny Hill must be rolling in his grave at todays lot....
Do you appreciate the irony here?

Next time some supposedly uber PC person goes on a anti-sexism rant, by your own advice you'd be well advised to rewind your Benny Hill VHS tapes and enjoy them instead of responding to their comments.

Anyway, its always good to hear a plurality of views in my opinion.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Certainly gave a good close up of the WD40, Pinerallo and a few other sponsor names.
According to article on bicycling.com:
Matt Allyn wrote:Pinarello managing director Luciano Fusar Poli declared Ashton’s performance “fantastic,” but said the Italian bike maker had nothing to do with the video.
Great clip, but agree it is little spoilt by the ending. Guess they were just trying to work out a way to get WD40 into the clip beyond the start. If they were trying to be funny it falls pretty flat.