Lake Hume

slowrider

Lake Hume

Postby slowrider » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi All;

Thinking of riding around Lake Hume near Albury-Wodonga just after the Easter hols in 2013.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not in a hurry it's only about 180 km and I intend to spend a bit of time camping and fishing.

Thanks in advance.

Slowrider

jemo27

Re: Lake Hume

Postby jemo27 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:48 am

I have done from Wodonga around the bottom of the lake along the rail trail.

I then went up through Shelley on the form rail line on a really nice 16km railway type climb and then the same distance downhill in a really nice place to cycle.
I then made my way to Towong on the Murray river and then followed the river back to the dam wall. I took aaround a week taking my time. plenty of places to camp along river for free and some sneaky places as well.

along the Murray River there is alot of up and down cycling. when I did it Lake Hume was really low in April 2009, different now.

not sure about from Old Tallangatta to Bellbridge

If you have any questions please ask

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Many years ago after doing the last stage of the Hume and Hovel Track (the Woomagama NP and Tunnel Road section), I then spent some time scooting around Lake Hume.

I still remember highlights, like the punt trip and the skeletal trees, the Ettamogah rodeo where several cowboys had on sneakers, not cowboy boots. The Hume Weir Trout Hatchery and the bellowing at the Wodonga Sale Yards but the thing that I remember most was a sign. On one of the grazing property gates east of Albury near Jingillic, the sign read 'UPON DOWNS'. I'd had enough of the up and downs at that stage. I didn't need to be told. It was pretty lumpy country.

When I first started out the Murray was at a record low and the lagoons were seriously stressed and the paddle steamers were moored near the Hovell Tree and not going anywhere much. Then when I had reached the Hume Weir power station, the water was high. Only the tops of netball posts were poking out of the water on one of the old sports grounds where there was an unbelievably officious carved wooden sign. NO littering, loitering, camping, stopping, parking, alcohol, picnicking, removing rocks, collecting wood, boating, canoeing, fishing, swimming, jumping off something or other, NO trail bikes, NO vehicles, NO water skiing and it went on and on. It made me feel like I was a criminal just looking at the sign.

At Toowong, Tintaldra and Tooma which might be further (East) than you want to tour, the views of the Western Face of Kosciuszko's Main Range are a good look.

At the Wodonga Sale Yards a cowboy asked me where was I staying. I told him anywhere. He told me that the camp sites on the TSRs in NSW had been used by drovers and shepherds for over a hundred years. That's the best bit of advice that I've had, as a touring cyclist. There are many Travelling Stock Reserves on the NSW side of Lake Hume ... or Hume Reservoir or Hume Weir, depending which maps you have.

Nine Intermediate Egrets enjoying the refreshing spray below Hume Reservoir.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

redned

Postby redned » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Warren: yet another of your "wow factor" photos. Great work.

slowrider

Postby slowrider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks for the info everyone and great pictures.