How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Big_Red

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Big_Red » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 pm

jasonc wrote:
Big_Red wrote:Awesome commute in today - last night i fitted a set of Pro-Lite Como wheels to the road bike along with an ultegra rear derailleur, a 105 10 speed cassette and 105 chain. OMGosh, dunno why i put off upgrading for so long! Gear changes are effortless (even with the downtube friction shifters) with almost no trimming now required and those wheels just roll on and on... Strava already shows there is a definate improvement with the uphill bits, so i can't wait to let it really rip on the flats & downhills.
so we've got another rider como-converted! welcome to the club.
just under 6700kms on mine
Woohoo! Scored 4 PR's and was 4 sec off setting a new KOM on the ride home according to strava. It'll be much easier to ride the 100km per week now my road bike has been fixed up, compared to chugging along on the mtb.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 pm

jasonc wrote:
marinmomma wrote:River Loop before work...was sitting in the low 30's for the ride until I got to deadmans hill :roll:

Commute home took my k's for the year into the 7000 mark...I've passed my original goal for the year, and I got two QOMs on the ride home 8)
more damn QOMs. well done. and well done on reaching the original target too

Someone's gotta get them...can't be too much competition on the southside if I'm getting QOM's :wink:
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:02 am

marinmomma wrote:River Loop before work...was sitting in the low 30's for the ride until I got to deadmans hill :roll:

Commute home took my k's for the year into the 7000 mark...I've passed my original goal for the year, and I got two QOMs on the ride home 8)
hmmmm .... I suspect another one who's life has been changed by riding. :)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:16 am

Roads were very wet but I missed the rain. Predicting heavy rain this afternoon so that will be fun. :twisted:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:32 am

I'm about to head off into the murk... umbrella in hand.... :mrgreen:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:51 am

Pleasant multi-hop commute via the LBS to pick up replacement pedals and some brake pads, then past my old local to say hello, then homewards with another stop at my brother's place.
Cold at 6C this morning at 4:30am, with rain all the way into the Melbourne CBD. Where is this spring that people speak of? :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:23 am

Comedian wrote:I'm about to head off into the murk... umbrella in hand.... :mrgreen:
wasn't too bad - was damp roads and drizzle. gave the bike a wipe down.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 am

jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:I'm about to head off into the murk... umbrella in hand.... :mrgreen:
Yep... Didn't even deploy countermeasures (umbrella). :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 am

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Yep... Didn't even deploy countermeasures (umbrella). :)
I wore my overshoes for the first time to counter-act the wet weather. worked well. shoes and socks were dry.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm

My cycle home last night was directly into a 50 kph headwind. I have no idea what speed I was making but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was barely into double figures. This morning I had a 20 kph tail wind and I felt like superman :D .

Funny how a few clouds sends all the fair-weather cyclist scurrying back to their cages. Tonight for me is looking like rain but with a tail wind woooohooooo :D .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Hamster wrote:Funny how a few clouds sends all the fair-weather cyclist scurrying back to their cages. Tonight for me is looking like rain but with a tail wind woooohooooo :D .
+1. looking around 22km/h
and definitely less cyclists on the road this morning

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Got slightly bored on the way home via Coles to pick up groceries so I spotted a mates bike.... It needs to be properly set up I think, I nearly fell off it when I got on the saddle (nose very high).

You're right about the weather, the last 2 days have been great here in Ballarat and saw quite a few cyclists, but come this morning when there was a slight drizzle, yup, no other cyclists on the road. Oh well, at least they're giving it a go.

embee8

Postby embee8 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:29 pm

What a commute to work yesterday! I ride south to Freo from home in the morning so had the easterly at my back and had the fastest ride for those 20kms I've ever had :D

Of course, this meant the ride home was into those same winds :shock:
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:46 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Got slightly bored on the way home via Coles to pick up groceries so I spotted a mates bike....
:lol: Note to self - switch off helmet-cam when engaging in criminal activity!

I'll bet your mate appreciates your take-down of his bike security being posted on the internet!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Perth:

The morning are not the typical spring winds lately. ANd yesterd it was a strong westerley mor or less. Today a more normal - though a bit strong early on - easterly, but that gave me mostly protection from cross winds (which are no fun on a unicycle). And the wind-chill wasn't so bad either.

So overall still quite good times to be riding.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:29 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Got slightly bored on the way home via Coles to pick up groceries so I spotted a mates bike.... It needs to be properly set up I think, I nearly fell off it when I got on the saddle (nose very high).
Hahaha...
I thought you were going to tie it up (secure it :wink: ) with the garden hose...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 pm

roads were wet, but no rain.

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Got slightly bored on the way home via Coles to pick up groceries so I spotted a mates bike.... It needs to be properly set up I think, I nearly fell off it when I got on the saddle (nose very high).
Now that would make a good Strava segment.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:54 am

new bike shakedown today. seems good. needs some gear adjustment

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:20 am

Peds were particularly dozy yesterday. Wellington St, Collingwood - I'm traveling in the bike lane at a fair clip, cars backed up for a few hundred meters to the traffic light at Johnston St.
A ped stands in the bike lane, and I can see another crossing the street from the right in front of a stopped van, on collision course with me.
I slow down and ring my bell a few times because I know what's coming, and yep, she steps out from in front of the van with not a glance in my direction, and I'm on the brakes swerving around her to the right. The other ped (who must have seen/heard me by now) that was standing in the the bike lane at the same spot decides now is the opportune time to move into my path as well (I'm almost in the lane with the cars now), so I let out a yell and he freezes. Managed to avoid him as well, but it was close.
Then, riding along one of the side roads at Alphington station, a woman pushing a pram heads into the road without as much as a glance in either direction to check for traffic. I was maybe 5 meters away and she didn't see me. Insane.
Dry ride in this morning, hooray! Will ride to the Ausbike Expo this weekend.
Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:42 am

Nice to have cooler weather, but still clear skies. There were westerlies when I rode in, with just enough of a northerly component to slow me a bit.

I rode in at tradie-o'clock, and they all gave me lots of room, even on the narrower 2-lane parts of Oxley Road.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:59 am

Marto wrote:Nice to have cooler weather, but still clear skies. There were westerlies when I rode in, with just enough of a northerly component to slow me a bit.
definitely noticed the northerly component

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 am

Nearly blown off the bike this morning with the headwind & crosswinds i had to push through most of the ride. BOM indicating gusts were up to 40kph, so it's no wonder it was a slow ride in for me today. I've put my order in for a commute home with a nice tailwind this afternoon.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:25 am

Big_Red wrote:Nearly blown off the bike this morning with the headwind & crosswinds i had to push through most of the ride. BOM indicating gusts were up to 40kph, so it's no wonder it was a slow ride in for me today. I've put my order in for a commute home with a nice tailwind this afternoon.
weatherzone says N to NNW D:

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:48 am

jasonc wrote:
Big_Red wrote:Nearly blown off the bike this morning with the headwind & crosswinds i had to push through most of the ride. BOM indicating gusts were up to 40kph, so it's no wonder it was a slow ride in for me today. I've put my order in for a commute home with a nice tailwind this afternoon.
weatherzone says N to NNW D:
There was a guy on a roadie ahead of me this morning who was really wobbling about in the wind. The Bureau station closest to me, Archerfield, recorded average winds of 30kmh W, and max gust of 54kmh for the time I was riding. I'll have to check my weather station at home after work. Pity I can't carry one on my bike :roll: