bikepath to springfield has been removed from project

jasonc

bikepath to springfield has been removed from project

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 pm

grrr

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/labo ... 6492772175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Max

Re: bikepath to springfield has been removed from project

Postby Max » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Some of the comments just made me want to punch my computer.

Really. Don't read them.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Max wrote:Some of the comments just made me want to punch my computer.

Really. Don't read them.

Max

edit: +1 to not reading the comments

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:07 pm

******* war path!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Max wrote:Some of the comments just made me want to punch my computer.

Really. Don't read them.

Max

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Yep, the bike haters are trotting out their usual hyperbole, but there are a number of intelligent pro cycling comments being made. I increasingly find that the CM has an anti cycling slant (or rather the bogan readership all come out to make stupid, clueless comments).
I did enjoy one person's comment, which was -

Cycle King Posted at 12:42 PM Today
Yes! You Bewdy! More new roads for me to ride on. And the best thing is I don't pay rego. I'll just leave it to all you suckers in cars to fund new roads for me! Ha ha! The Government will NEVER be able to make me pay rego. Thanks heaps you witless car drivers.

Comment 46 of 50

:D :D :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:26 pm

big_red - i thought the article had no slant. if any, a pro-car slant. but i didn't read any anti-cycling slant in it at all.

i think the problem is the readership.

bring on drive to work day - dec 11

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:40 pm

jasonc wrote:bring on drive to work day - dec 11
Ewwwwww. Don't do it, it will only end in tears.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Big_Red wrote:
Ewwwwww. Don't do it, it will only end in tears.
but if we all do it, it'd be a fantastic result. just think - an extra half a million cars on the roads around oz during peak hour

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Dec 11th? or 10th?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Kenzo wrote:
Dec 11th? or 10th?
looks to be the 10th. my mistake

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:21 pm

jasonc wrote:but if we all do it, it'd be a fantastic result. just think - an extra half a million cars on the roads around oz during peak hour
But if myself and all the cyclists in my building drive in, there will be stacks of fat car drivers that will not be able to get a park in town and will likely then take the day off to swill down more cholesterol laden fare after they give up aimlessly trawling the city for somewhere to dump their car - there will be chaos, armageddon, cats & dogs living together...
Last edited by Big_Red on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Big_Red wrote:
jasonc wrote:but if we all do it, it'd be a fantastic result. just think - an extra half a million cars on the roads around oz during peak hour
But if myself and all the cyclists in my building drive in, there will be stacks of fat, larda*se car drivers that will not be able to get a park in town and will likely then take the day off to swill down more cholesterol laden fare after they give up aimlessly trawling the city for somewhere to dump their car - there will be chaos, armageddon, cats & dogs living together...
it's 1 day. it's 1 day of pain to stop projects like this getting "put aside"

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:49 pm

We received this this morning, but my guess is that the CBD BUG beat us to releasing it publicly.

The Queensland Government recently announced that the $475 million Stage 2 Richlands to Springfield Project will include upgrading Centenary Highway between the Logan Motorway Interchange, Forest Lake and Springfield Parkway, Springfield, by early 2014.

(see attached media release from Minister for Transport and Main Roads, The Honourable Scott Emerson)

This project is constructing a 9.5 km passenger rail line between Richlands and Springfield and works have been underway since late 2010. The Centenary Highway Upgrade component of the project involves upgrading Centenary Highway between the Logan Motorway Interchange, Forest Lake and Springfield Parkway, Springfield (see attached project overview map). This will include:

· duplicating Centenary Highway southbound between the Logan Motorway Interchange and Springfield Parkway
· a new southbound on-ramp from the Logan Motorway to Centenary Highway
· constructing two new northbound lanes from Springfield Parkway towards Johnson Road, Carole Park, the final extent to be confirmed
· lengthening the northbound Springfield Parkway on-ramp to the Centenary Highway
· a new central median to separate the southbound and northbound lanes.

Upgrading the Centenary Highway will reduce congestion and improve safety and travel times for motorists during peak periods.

To enable this upgrade to be delivered by early 2014, construction of the previously proposed 7 km of pathways and lowering the Springfield Link Bridge will no longer be delivered as part of this project.

In November, the project team will hold two information sessions to provide you with an opportunity to learn more about the project and talk to members of the team. Visit the information sessions at the following locations:

Staffed displays

Venue

Date

Time

Orion Town Centre

(outside the customer service kiosk)

Thursday 1 November 2012

2 – 8 pm

Orion Town Centre

Saturday 3 November 2012

10 – 2 pm

Unstaffed display

Springfield Fair

Thursday 1 November – Friday 30 November 2012

During opening hours

For more information on the Stage 2 Richlands to Springfield Project, contact the project team.

Kind Regards,

TrackStar Alliance Community Team

tdrahniets

Postby tdrahniets » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Upgrading the Centenary Highway will reduce congestion and improve safety and travel times for motorists during peak periods
more like shift the congestion up to the bridge over the logan motorway. Adding two lanes from Springfield will make that bit quicker, until the two lanes have to reduce to one to go over the bridge, then back to two lanes northern side of Logan motorway.

Was looking forward to having a bike path in all the way to ride in to city from Flinders View along those paths... Another wise decision..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:06 pm

tdrahniets wrote:
Upgrading the Centenary Highway will reduce congestion and improve safety and travel times for motorists during peak periods
more like shift the congestion up to the bridge over the logan motorway. Adding two lanes from Springfield will make that bit quicker, until the two lanes have to reduce to one to go over the bridge, then back to two lanes northern side of Logan motorway.

Was looking forward to having a bike path in all the way to ride in to city from Flinders View along those paths... Another wise decision..
i think we need to push BQ on this one

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:39 pm

jasonc wrote:
tdrahniets wrote:

i think we need to push BQ on this one
They're the only Queensland organisation or group yet to comment so I'd suggest hitting the CBD Bug up first. They've been very busy today. The same can't be said of BQ. They recieved the same RTS Info email that we did at 9.35am, yet neither their FB or Twitter accounts have been updated today, nor is there a link to the ministerial PR or CM story on their website. They may well have been asking WTH behind closed doors up at George Street, but I doubt they'd maintain total silence over this. Even I expected them to step up to the plate on this development.
Before anyone starts bitching about how I'm picking on BQ yet again, think about it. If the Centenary bike path is not worth fighting for, what the hell is in terms of cycling infrastructure in our State?
As I said earlier this arvo, 25,000 residents - a small city - is officially isolated from Brisbane with regard to cycling infrastructure as of today, and in 30 years the Springfield population is expected to grow to 105,000. Theres forward planning for you.
Why would a Queensland group not comment?
With regard to the comment in the CM about riding on the upgraded road once completed, you can almost guarantee that bicycles will be excluded as with the rest of the Western Freeway from Richlands to the Mt Coot-tha roundabout.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:34 am

Yes the BUG is less then pleased.
I personally have already sent the Minister a few questions.
how is bikepth gold plating
how much has been saved.

I hit the roof yesterday with this. I knew it had been cancelled but the offical announcement still made me "p***** **f".

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 pm

BQ responded to my q:
BQ is very disappointed to hear of the deletion of the planned bikeway for this growth corridor from Richlands to Springfield. It will lead to more people driving, fewer people cycling and less safety for people riding bicycles.

We are concerned with the severance of the Springfield community from the existing bikeway network, local and longer destinations (Oxley, Indooroopilly, Toowong and Brisbane CBD) due to the loss of a safe crossing of the Logan Motorway.

BQ will be seeking a meeting with the Transport Minister Scott Emerson on this matter.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Also seeking meetings with the Minister, opposition spokesperson and the opposition leader and others. BQ have extended an olive branch to us of sorts. We'll see what comes of it. We all need to band together on this or back the opposition in the long run up to the next election.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:17 pm

It's a little odd (sarcasm) that DTMR sees the benefits on this, but that they don't apply to Springfield...
• improved safety for cyclists
• improved connectivity to the
local cycle network
• transport cost savings

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Proje ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 pm

There have to be ways to fund this project.

We always hear about private/public partnerships, so why not do that here?

There is already advertising billboards along the highway, why not place these next to the bike path and sell them to "sponsors" to get money? Another option is to let companies sponsor a section of path, divide it into 500m sections and allow them to have naming rights to that section. They could have signage with the logos on it and it could be something similar in size to the bits of metal on the fences next to animal reserves. (about 40cm deep at top of fence to stop animals climbing over them) This would provide a 500m long piece of advertising.

There seem to be a lot of companies that already want to be seen as a "green" company even though they may not be in reality, Santos and Arrow energy come to mind. Why not hit them up?

Why cant the council, state and federal government all chip in 1/3 each? This would help reduce the costs for all associated.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:08 pm

:(

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Idea for the Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister @scottemersonmp:
As your office appears to have no interest in dealing with cycling groups in relation to your decision to scrap the Springfield to Richlands section of the Centenary bike path, we'll force the issue via the media.
We (SCA) will propose that all cyclists from Springfield be allocated space in the rear carriage and be granted free travel between the Springfield and Richlands train stations. If you're not prepared to equip Queensland for safe passage through the next 20 years, at least your trains can!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:16 am

Here's a great flyer created by Shaun Moran from Brisbanecyclist.com

https://www.box.com/s/qemlwpd5exk22zv617ol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;