LBS'

Spiro

LBS'

Postby Spiro » Mon May 26, 2008 12:05 am

Hi everyone,
Am a newbie, Have been reading the forums for a while thought i might write one!
Having some problems with getting a new bike. I am in regional NSW and only have 3 LBS' to choose from (not good to start with). One store has only bothered to talk to me once in the four times i have visited there, one store doesn't listen when i tell them 'No i don't need a carbon frame and what you are telling me to buy is out of my price range, i don't need all that bling'. (I think these 2 store a run by hardcore bikers) The last store, well they are great to talk to, give you the time of day and don't seem to push the $2000 bike on you when you only need the $800. BUT if i don't look at the rest of the stores i cut my choice by 80%.
Maybe I just complain too much

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon May 26, 2008 12:20 am

You've got one good LBS and access to the internet. What's the problem? You seem to have done the legwork and knocked two jokers out of contention. At least you now know where NOT to go.

BTW, you should put your location in your details so that people will have a better idea of where you are and what you're talking about. Who knows, you might find someone who lives down the street on the forums!

Also BTW, welcome to the forums.

David

Spiro

Postby Spiro » Mon May 26, 2008 12:39 am

Thanks for that David,
I know, bit of a silly question but, i can be a silly man! :lol:
I live in Wagga Wagga. You know the city of good sports.
Anyway ta for the advice, should just get in and do it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 26, 2008 11:15 am

G'Day Spiro, welcome outside. :)

[rant]Bikeshops A and B are run by hardcore !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! not bikers. Nobody starts out hardcore, and it pisses me to think how many people like yourself have been scared off the bike by !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! like them.[/rant]

IMO, bikeshop C deserves your hard earned purely for the effort they've put in to welcome you to our world. Test ride as much as you can there and buy the bike you fall in love with.

Later, once the addiction has taken hold, you can walk into A or B with big cash in hand. Once they start drooling over you, remind them how badly they treated you last time you were there and walk out :twisted:

Have fun out there.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon May 26, 2008 11:21 am

Ooh, you're a bastard MB .... :twisted:

But you are correct. Spiro, you've got a good one. Many people in major cities don't even have that much. Spend your time and money in the one that's good and feel free to slag off the other two to your mates.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 26, 2008 11:49 am

Yeah that'd be me :wink:

Most businesses live or die by customer service, I'm a big fan of it meself, and happy to wield the Claymore as needed.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Spiro

Postby Spiro » Mon May 26, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks people,
Just worried about getting a bum steer from these people but ok will go with bike shop c.

Cheers
Spiro

P.S a bit of brown nosing but have leant alot from you lot over the past couple of weeks KEEP THE RANTS UP!!!!!!!

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi Spiro, I have the same problem and I'm not far from you.
I live in Leeton and only have one local LBS.
Thank fully there customer service is very good. The only trouble I have is the range. Not enough bike on display to test ride.

At one stage I was thinking of making a trip to Wagga to check out whats over there. Doesn't sound very good.

Good luck to you, I'm looking a Felt bike that's a couple of years out of date but every time I buy something even if it's small my Local LBS nocks some money of it.

I think it's good in these tough times to look after a GOOD LBS.

Martin

Spiro

Postby Spiro » Mon May 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Martin,
HAve you tried Griffith, i'm sure that they would have a range. I know one sells vivente and from reading some review they seem alright but who knows. Maybe you might have better luck in wagga?

Cheers Spiro

munga

Postby munga » Mon May 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Another thing to note. The A and B shops sucked on your visit, but do they have more than one staff member?
Ok, maybe shop A is off the list, but what about shop B?
I've dropped in a few times at a big local store and browsed, and felt like I wasn't hardcore enough. Finally, on my most recent visit, I was attended to by a friendly guy who gave me cheap, moderate, and 'hello visa' options for some bits and pieces, even though the cheap and visa spec parts weren't on the shelf.
Maybe it's worth going back to the other shops at a different time or day.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon May 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Spiro wrote:Martin,
HAve you tried Griffith, i'm sure that they would have a range. I know one sells vivente and from reading some review they seem alright but who knows. Maybe you might have better luck in wagga?

Cheers Spiro

Yes I tried one big one that advertise all the time. It's opposite the new Mall. The service was shocking. Asked them if they had any flat bar roadies and 1 staff member said out right no and another said I would have to look for one of those on the internet.

A minute later my wife spotted one on the floor. It was a Gitane Mach 3200. Nice bike! If they had played their cards right I would have bought it and accessories worth about $1100.
Their loss, we tried again latter that day and the girl serving was even worse.
:x

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon May 26, 2008 10:45 pm

It is a tricky one if you fall in love with something that the good store doesn't sell. We might be heading a bit into that territory ourselves unfortunately.

If that does happen, see if the good store can get in the make/model you are after. Just cos they don't have it on the floor, doesn't mean that they can't get it.

Enjoy your shopping :)

Spiro

Postby Spiro » Tue May 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Hey Martin
The LBS that is good in Wagga sells Gitane!! Opposite the public pool. I have seen that bike too and it is a very nice looking bike, and if i wasn't looking for drop bars i'd be on that one as well :lol: So come over and get it

Cheers Spiro

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 27, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi,
I have had similar experiences, you are not alone!
No problems if you mention the names of the good bike shops, this definately helps out others in the same area. But thanks for your tact in not mentioning the names of the other bike shops - better left unnamed.

Cheers
Christopher

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Tue May 27, 2008 9:41 pm

Spiro wrote:Hey Martin
The LBS that is good in Wagga sells Gitane!! Opposite the public pool. I have seen that bike too and it is a very nice looking bike, and if i wasn't looking for drop bars i'd be on that one as well :lol: So come over and get it

Cheers Spiro
Cool are they open Saturday Avro's?
I usually work the mornings.

Spiro

Postby Spiro » Wed May 28, 2008 9:29 am

Yes i think they are. Look in the phone book they are in Morgan street. page 106 bottom left hand corner

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed May 28, 2008 9:57 am

Spiro wrote:Yes i think they are. Look in the phone book they are in Morgan street. page 106 bottom left hand corner
:) Thanks may get the chance to get over this weekend. Sister in law's in hospital over there. If she's still in on Saturday we may go over. (Nothing major, our Leeton hospital is pretty basic :? ) Will give them a ring.

toff

Postby toff » Wed May 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Spiro, you live in a great town for biking. Glad you're getting into it. We'll have you sprinting up Lord Baden Powell Drive in no time! I'm thinking of coming down to race in the McDonalds Classic in a couple of weeks, which should be a good couple of days of spectating.

Sorry you lads have such a hard time getting good service. I live in Sydney, and despite the choices, it still took me several years before I found the right LBS. The Mrs has family in Griffith, and I usually like to pop into bike shops when I travel, but I'd agree Griffith really is lacking in this department, although I can't comment on Leeton. In this case, mail order might just be your best bet.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 pm

We have only 1 shop in Leeton that sells bikes. They also sell Motorbikes, chainsaw, lawnmowers and such.
They sell Felt's, Mongoose, Shogun, Vivente and Malvern Star. Resonable range but as it's only a small shop not much to look at.

Mainly Hybrids and kids bikes, some road bikes but only 1 flat bar road bike.
A Felt SR91 4 year old model, but their service is very good. So far I've bought from them a chainsaw, brushcutter (Largewipper snipper) a lawnmower a Mongoose bike for my daughter and had my bike fixed by them and other bike bits. Always friendly and quite often give me small discounts.

Very hard not to want to by my next bike there. :?

Spiro

Postby Spiro » Wed May 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Hell no Toff, no way at all am i going to be riding up THAT HILL!!! Did some MTB with a mate around there which was a bit of fun. Love to watch the Macca's Classic but will be on holidays for a month by then, such a hard life. When i get back will be hopefully buying a roadie then look out. Sorry to hear about your sister in law Martin, but atleast gives you an excuse to have a look around

Cheers