Lights on? Ashfield to Bassendean

Sprocket

Lights on? Ashfield to Bassendean

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Has anyone actually seen the lights on for the new PSP extension to Bassendean? I haven't, but was wondering if it's just because I haven't been through at the right time, eg are they only put on when the street lights are off? Or is there a big switch at the start I haven't seen :lol:

Iceman

Re: Lights on? Ashfield to Bassendean

Postby Iceman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:53 pm

I live in Ashfield and the undergound power is being installed along with new street lights, at the end of last week the new light out the front of our house has come on but haven't spotted the ones on the bike path yet... will make a point to look and report back :)

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:07 pm

I have asked people in Main Roads PTA and Dept of Transport regarding the lights.
Last time I was told there were several other projects higher up the priority list, given the light shed from Guildford Rd lights it wasn't a high priority.
Which rather does beg the question why the current configuration of lights was installed to this specification in the first place (comes from same bucket of bike infrastructure funding $$$)
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:47 pm

I did wonder if it was something to do with the fact that the lights aren't really needed due to the amount of light cast by the road lamps on Guildford Road. But as you say - why install them in the first place then? Seems to be a complete waste of money. They could have spent the lamp money on another few 100 metres of the PSP.

The extension is great! Only thing now is for the drivers to learn that there is a Keep Clear on the south side of the railway intersections, particularly at Collier Road. It did occur to me recently that I don't think the drivers can see the Keep Clear sign when they are on the north side at Collier Road - not sure as I never drive that way, but it could explain why this intersection gets blocked off more frequently than the one near Tonkin Highway or the Caledonian Avenue one.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 am

Try riding on the north psp, large sections with no lights and as the psp is not near a road we don't get that light either. Doesn't make sense to install lights where not required when there are many sections that do need them.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:08 am

rolandp wrote:Doesn't make sense to install lights where not required when there are many sections that do need them.
I completely agree. I was simply curious about the Bassendean PSP lights as they are there but I've never seen them on. I don't actually think they are required!