How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am

Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Big_Red wrote:Nearly blown off the bike this morning with the headwind & crosswinds i had to push through most of the ride. BOM indicating gusts were up to 40kph, so it's no wonder it was a slow ride in for me today. I've put my order in for a commute home with a nice tailwind this afternoon.
weatherzone says N to NNW D:
There was a guy on a roadie ahead of me this morning who was really wobbling about in the wind. The Bureau station closest to me, Archerfield, recorded average winds of 30kmh W, and max gust of 54kmh for the time I was riding. I'll have to check my weather station at home after work. Pity I can't carry one on my bike :roll:

the weatherzone comment is in regards to this afternoon

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:10 pm

I heard the wind this morning then checked the direction....
more than an hour of gusting headwinds were not to my liking so I enjoyed a calm bus ride instead. Sad about missing the tailwind home though.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:38 pm

If you ever had to construct a day of highs *and* it had to include some part of a working day, then entering office on Freaky Friday with my skeleton jersey, new stereo fitted to tricked out bike playing Metallica’s punchy Last Caress for the building elevator lift up and walk into the bike store room in front of door/desk flooding the office with adrenalin and sweat, then that would be my pick :)

Big Team America “Fvck YEAH!” flying high five I’m feeling awesome =D
(and haven’t even had a mother truckin’ coffee yet, picked up some breakfast and coffee treats from Joe’s Cake Kitchen in West Perth on the way by slight detour, rode through to Kings Park road and the massive downhill from Parliament to St Georges Terrace with green light again for an adrenalin rush final downhill into final traffic and work.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Kenzo wrote:I heard the wind this morning then checked the direction....
more than an hour of gusting headwinds were not to my liking so I enjoyed a calm bus ride instead. Sad about missing the tailwind home though.
It really wasn't much of a tailwind unfortunately...still tending more from the west and really gusty at times.

Some sections of the SE freeway bikepath were littered with sticks and crap so you had to be careful to not ride over something which should cause damage to bike or another rider following behind.

Almost got pushed sideways on a couple of occassions this morning and on the way home....not pleasant at all, I'd prefer to ride in the rain than these winds!
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:49 pm

marinmomma wrote: I'd prefer to ride in the rain than these winds!
+1

yucko

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 am

Nice commute home with a strava KOM and a PR on way home friday, but still quite windy in the afternoon after 5pm, thankfully not as gusty as in the morning. At the lights just before the Gateway Motorway overpass on Wynnum Rd, i'm following some guy on his old steel roadie and he starts off when the traffic light turns green, but doesn't clip his left foot in. I just roll slowly after him as things don't seem altogether right and just after we clear the overpass he loses control and smacks full on into the traffic island for the exit off the Motorway and he goes over the bars, skidding along the traffic island with his forks sheared off at the crown! I come to a stop, lift my bike off the bike lane and ask if he's ok and see what on earth happened. Turns out that at the lights he'd felt the steerer go funny, so he was taking it easy. The forks self destructing even at the speed he was doing was pretty spectacular, so i shudder to think what the outcome would have been if he'd been travelling full tilt. Asked him if he was far from home and if he needed me to phone someone to come pick him up as he'd lost a little bark off his forearm, but he said he was all good, only lived 10 minutes away and that he had a phone. Felt super guilty leaving him there, so if you look at these forums dude, i hope your support crew managed to collect you quickly for you to recover at home. Good luck in rebuilding the bike too.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:02 pm

eldavo wrote:... new stereo fitted to tricked out bike playing ...
How've you fitted a stereo to your bike? Is it one of those iPod/mp3 player dock type setups?

Friday commute home. Mate has just converted his 95 Giant Iguana to a single speed so we thought we'd give it a light run offroad to see how it went. It went surprisingly well, thought he would struggle more, but not too bad.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 am

Friday's ride back was uneventful. Stopped off for a drink, then home. Headed off to Ausbike on Saturday morning. Hooked up with a mate for a quick coffee, then rode through to the Royal Exhibition Center. Bikes were valet-parked courtesy of Roll-Up.
The expo was pretty good, lots of lovely shiny gear, :) but the credit card remained safely in the wallet though.
Pleasant ride in this morning, warmer than last week with a slight tailwind.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 am

lugged in a lot of stuff this morning to make the bag light for tomorrow. perfect weather in brissy, again.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 am

Good ride in this morning, slight tail wind, was going to cruise in at 22-23km/hr but the bike didn't want to stay at such a slow speed so ended up sitting closer to 25-26km/hr. Oh well, faster ride in :) Only had 1 pedestrian just walk out in front of me and a car just back out of a driveway even though there was noone following me.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:28 am

Nice ride in this morning. After the weekend off I think the legs have recovered from Tuesday's flogging. I seemed to be making good progress despite the headwind. :)

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 am

Nice weather to ride in. Lots of cyclists around this morning near Indooroopilly. Gave a big thumbs up and wave to a really patient truck driver in a B-double, who stayed behind me on a narrow uphill stretch, until the road to widened. Tradies good. One red Commodore bad.

I could change gears properly again, after performing microsurgery to get gear cable fibers out of my right shifter last night. The shift cable frayed and also went to pieces inside the shifter (after 8 months use). I couldn't tell from any online pictures/guides/Zinn book where the cable came out when you pushed it forward, and when I pushed it couldn't come out due to it being stuck. Lotsa fun!

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Good ride in this morning, slight tail wind, was going to cruise in at 22-23km/hr but the bike didn't want to stay at such a slow speed so ended up sitting closer to 25-26km/hr. Oh well, faster ride in :) Only had 1 pedestrian just walk out in front of me and a car just back out of a driveway even though there was noone following me.

Sad, but as a cyclist i too can say its been a good day when only 1 ped and 1 car almost collects me.
Last edited by landscapecadmonkey on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
chop wood

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Most Dangerous Commute Place:
Have ridden from Stafford to City and return many times, but have continually hit the most ignorant drivers (like today) around the Windsor/Wilston area. Idiot lady in Mazda 3 turned directly in front of me at the Newmarket / Kedron Brook Rd today in flagrant violation of the basic human imperative of not causing harm to others. Happy travels Mazda 3 lady... hope you get to that most important appointment that seems to be so important.
chop wood

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:51 am

Beautiful ride in this morning. Yesterday was 3C in and 25C home. This morning was a bit warmer at 14C and it was nice.

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 am

Stunning weather this morning! I really didn't want to get off my bike after 45km!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:14 am

riverloop this morning on Fuji-sun with a reduced gang.
trying a shorter stem. seems to do the trick. felt very comfortable.
absolutely perfect weather in Brissy, again

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 am

Good commute in today with the other road users being generally accomodating - except for one old bat driving a merc...
Tried to overtake on the left on Burwood Rd northbound just after the train station...
I heard her engine rev up so looked over my left shoulder (I ride in the right hand tyre track usually) which made me gentle veer to the left a bit. She's there gesturing crazily at me.

I suspect she was in a hurry to get stuck behind the bus 100m up the road. Or the Red light the bus was stopped at?
2010 BMC SLC01

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 am

hannos wrote:Good commute in today with the other road users being generally accomodating - except for one old bat driving a merc...
Tried to overtake on the left on Burwood Rd northbound just after the train station...
I heard her engine rev up so looked over my left shoulder (I ride in the right hand tyre track usually) which made me gentle veer to the left a bit. She's there gesturing crazily at me.

I suspect she was in a hurry to get stuck behind the bus 100m up the road. Or the Red light the bus was stopped at?
Always makes me laugh with the hurry up and stop attitude - especially when you pass them further along and give them a cheery wave in passing... I love the beetroot colour their face goes too. Blood pressure problem perhaps? A bit of exercise (riding?) would fix that.

See you Brisbane riders at the Ride to Work breakfast at Russell St tomorrow, which i assume is at Musgrave Park. I get to do ride along the river from Story Bridge under Kangaroo Pt cliffs to get there which will be a nice change from the ordinary commute.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 am

Realy good ride this morning the weather was just great - Oscar another ride caught up to me and then we rode together for a few kms. Nice bloke, weather, and place to ride. Just a shame that work had to interupt the riding. Probably extra kms again tonight to enjoy this lovely spring day. 8)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 am

Windy In Melbourne for the ride back.
Cool but problem free ride into the CBD this morning.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:47 am

jasonc wrote:riverloop this morning on Fuji-sun with a reduced gang.
Well done. :)

I had another riverloop smashfest myself this morning. Lovely weather for it!

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Frustrating commute this morning. The legs were giving some love but the cagers were not! The traffic was nasty this morning, especially on the North Shore of Sydney.

I also had a couple of big CCR hidings yesterday! The only positive to take out of each was that there was lots of carbon involved and my opponents were entirely unencumbered. In both instances I was able to latch on until passing or traffic lights broke the wheel sucking. Very upsetting :(

On the upside the Strava's are getting a nudge at the moment which I think is an outcome of the SOP training sessions. I'm finding it easy to average 30+ kph on my commute into the City and have even managed to crack 31 kph a couple of times.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:riverloop this morning on Fuji-sun with a reduced gang.
Well done. :)

I had another riverloop smashfest myself this morning. Lovely weather for it!
Yep, the weather was great. Picture-perfect scene from the Jack Pesche bridge. I could have sat there and had a morning tea, especially considering it was close to morning tea time :roll:

I had a go at a sprint Strava segment heading straight into a headwind. Duh!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:42 pm

so the shorter stem seems to be good, except now I've loosened my headset by the look of it - anyone got an 8mm allen key - otherwise no KOM smashing for this arvo