Hobart -> Devomport

abcdefg

Hobart -> Devomport

Postby abcdefg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:19 pm

Hello,

I am planning to ride from Hobart to Devonport in a two week period during January. I have some experience riding, mainly to and from school during my high school years and to and from uni more recently. I am going with my girlfriend who is also fairly inexperienced.

Any tips, advice and suggestions would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

Cheers!

il padrone

Re: Hobart -> Devomport

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:13 am

West coast route or east coast?

Photos of our trips to Tassie are posted here (Western Explorer 'Edge of the World Tour') and for the east coast here (Family tour 'Tasmania in thongs') and here (Central Plateau & East Coast Group Tour). You may find them useful.

The family tour down the east coast was with my wife, 15 yo son and 13 yo daughter. We rode from Devonport to Hobart via Scottsdale, St Helens, Freycinet, Maria Island and Port Arthur in about 2 weeks. My daughter announced her runners were too tight on day 1 and rode almost the entire tour in her thongs, including a 100km day to get to Freycinet. So your plans sound entirely feasible.

Both son and daughter have later done both the grueling Edge of the World Tour with headwinds and huge steep grades, and the 3 week Central Plateau & East Coast Tour, and enjoyed themselves.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

John Lewis

Re: Hobart -> Devomport

Postby John Lewis » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:21 pm

We rode Devonport to Hobart some years back on our Logo Trikes.

We road the route through the Midlands. Devonport to Deloraine then to Hadspen. Then Evandale for the Penny Farthing comps and straight on down to Hobart.

The second time we did the East coast from Launceston. It was all great fun. I'm sure you will enjoy the ride no matter which route you take. We are yet to go ride the West coast.

John