Bike rack/carrier for carbon frame

silkishuge

Bike rack/carrier for carbon frame

Postby silkishuge » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi,
I currently have to Proride 591 which I had used for my steel and alloy framed bikes. I heard or read somewhere that the Proride 591 is not suited for carbon bikes due to the clamping action. I went to my LBS today and was informed by the sales person that the Proride 591 is the recommended bike rack for carbon frames. I referred the sales person to the Thule website which stated that the Outride 561 was recommended for carbon frames by the rack manufacturer. Sales person checked the website and told me that the sales representative told him that the 561 was not recommended because the forks were attached to the rack. I was not convinced and asked a few more questions and he finally said that I " should buy which ever rack I want" which I taught was quite rude so I told him I will find out more and decide later.
The sales person also told me that if I used the incorrect rack, my frame warranty would be void.
I do not want to damage the frame so any information would be great. I have never used the 591 with the carbon frame when travelling long distances (1000+km). I had my steel frame before which I brought along with me on trips but it has since been destroyed. I can't put the bike in the back anymore due to baby stuff which occupies quite a lot of space.

Any information in regards to these two Thule products and its compatibility with carbon frames would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

herzog

Re: Bike rack/carrier for carbon frame

Postby herzog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Definitely ok

For more info do a search on these boards. This question has been raised so many times.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Herzog, the 591 is ok with carbon?
Thanks for the reply.

Jon

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Yes

silkishuge