'Over' bottom bracket cable routing

Lots of steel bikes

'Over' bottom bracket cable routing

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi everyone, I'm putting together my first 'over' bottom bracket build. The cable is touching the seat tube. Is that unusual? Shimano 600 FD. Cage in line with chain ring.

Crittski

Re: 'Over' bottom bracket cable routing

Postby Crittski » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:26 pm

I would not ride it like that, you will saw through the seat tube quick smart. I think that you should look at a low clamp derailleur instead. It will pull from a lower position on the seat tube and may create a cable angle of pull that doesn't cut your bike in half.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:39 pm

I think the rear section of the cable guide may have been bent upward at some stage which results in the cable rubbing on the seat tube. I would investigate and perhaps it could be bent downward to its original position if that is the problem. It may need to be re-brazed in place which would require a paint touch up.
Last edited by GaryF on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:46 pm

GaryF wrote:I think the rear section of the cable guide may have been bent upward at some stage which results in the cable rubbing on the seat tube. I would investigate and perhaps it could be bent downward to its original position it that is the problem. It may need to be re-brazed in place which would require a paint touch up.
+1.

you can even see where it's lifted up (probably before the repaint).

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Yeah thats bent to buggery.

for reference

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:47 pm

To get it running, I'd just run the cable under the BB shell. Use a nylon cable guide. They're found on hard rubbish. Otherwise, they can't be more than a few bucks at the shop.

Other options: Bend it back or use a short length of cable housing to protect your frame.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Hmmm, after seeing the guide on the orange frame I realize just how bent it is. I'll try giving it a careful bend. It looks very solid though. Thanks all.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 pm

I carefully bent the guide and now all is good. I didn't go too far just in case. There is now a couple of mm between the cable and the tube.
Took it for a run and didn't get far. It has a terrible case of auto shifting even under minimal pressure. Will investigate next weekend.
Apart from dropout adjuster screws, cable end crimps, nicer cranks and an Aliante saddle it's done. Here's a couple of pics. Odd sized unknown makers name frame with 61 ST 56 TT. Suits me just fine.
9 speed Ultegra shifters, brakes and rear D. Shim 600 front D. Suntour dropouts. Nice neat lugwork.