25YO newbie, buying my first bike...

Missy8787

25YO newbie, buying my first bike...

Postby Missy8787 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Hello everyone!

I am 25, and from Western Sydney. I am aiming to be a recreational cyclist. I have ordered (on lay-by) a Giant Cypress 2013 DX (I am pretty sure it's a DX, it's a nice blue with white near the suspension (?))

I am such a newbie to cycling it's not funny. I had the cheap-o K-Mart bikes while l was growing up. I rode almost every day for fun until l hit 13 (cause for some reason bike riding was "uncool", according to my best friend at the time anyway!)

I was invited to a community bike ride by a new friend (from my netball team) and l had a BALL! I was so tired and sore after, but l felt good and wanted to go again. It was a "short" ride, 24km (long for me as l hadn't ridden for 13 years) I went on the second community bike ride last weekend (through Western Sydney Cycling Network) and l was pleased that l wasn't as tired or as sore as the first time. Again, can't wait t go back out there and cycle again. First time my friend let me use her old bike, and the second time l hired one from the Network.

I am one of those newbies who embarrassingly is more interested in the look of the bike (colour, how "cute" it looks) and what accessories are out there to make it stinkin (cute!) I have searched up some baskets, which l would like but was wondering does anyone else have one and how do they find them? I don't know anything about suspension, cranks or gears or anything like that. My partner who used to ride MTB in competitions when he was a teen (he is now 34 and also getting back into cycling for fun) helps me and has overlooked all of my purchases to make sure l am buying something that is more functional as well as pretty =)

Also, anyone else who is a newbie around my age and in the western Sydney area? Would love to chat =D

Howzat

Re: 25YO newbie, buying my first bike...

Postby Howzat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Awesome! (Always best to never trust advice on what is cool or not from 13 year olds.)
Missy8787 wrote:I am one of those newbies who embarrassingly is more interested in the look of the bike
All that goes away with experience is the embarrassment factor. Take a look at the 185 pages of bike photos and people's comments about the handlebar tape colour in the Bike Gallery

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Howzat wrote:Awesome! (Always best to never trust advice on what is cool or not from 13 year olds.)
I have to admit, l was one of those kids that was a "follower", she was a "leader". We ditched our bikes as apparently "boys don't like girls who ride bikes, boys like girls who walk" so we walked, everywhere, slowly. I missed the adrenaline rush of going down a hill on my bike!

I have had a look at the thread of embarrassing bikes! However there are some there that l think are pretty sweet :oops: others... Well... I would think that someone, at some point thought it was the best thing since sliced bread :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:44 pm

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 018/57467/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:04 pm

That's the one! So pretty :mrgreen:

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Join a local BUG (Bike User Group) or Cycling Club that run social rides.

You might get lucky with a riding buddy on these forums too!

Welcome to cycling it is awesome.

JM

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:19 pm

I was fortunate enough to buy its predecessor the Elwood (for the wife) when you could still get a rigid fork. Replaced the seatpost, saddle and handlebars. Turned out to be a comfortable bike.

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Sydguy wrote:Join a local BUG (Bike User Group) or Cycling Club that run social rides.

You might get lucky with a riding buddy on these forums too!

Welcome to cycling it is awesome.

JM
I am hoping so, l currently ride with Western Sydney Cycling Network, with monthly rides starting at Fairfield showground. I have been on two so far. They are great, although being once a month, if l can't make it one month l have to wait two weeks before the next one. E.G. Next month we (my partner and l) have an engagement party to go to, so we unfortunately won't be able to make it =(

One that rides fortnightly, or also monthly but on differing weekends would be awesome =)

A riding buddy would be really cool =)

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Nobody wrote:I was fortunate enough to buy its predecessor the Elwood (for the wife) when you could still get a rigid fork. Replaced the seatpost, saddle and handlebars. Turned out to be a comfortable bike.

I don't know what a rigid fork is I'm afraid... But if l were to take a guess... Would it be part of the frame where the two bars separate? Yeah... I'm such a newbie :oops:

Very lovely looking bike BTW :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 pm

You probably know this, but the fork holds the front wheel and connects to the handlebar through the front of the frame.

A rigid fork has no suspension, like a road bike fork. A mountain bike fork is usually a suspension fork which looks like the one on the bike you are buying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:15 am

Nobody wrote:You probably know this, but the fork holds the front wheel and connects to the handlebar through the front of the frame.

A rigid fork has no suspension, like a road bike fork. A mountain bike fork is usually a suspension fork which looks like the one on the bike you are buying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:oops: I didn't know that! Now l do thank you, Nobody. I don't think l will forget that now! :)

ovie68

Postby ovie68 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:32 am

I have a warning about having a basket on the front of your bike. I had a basket for a few weeks when I first started commuting but found it was a bit dangerous when there was a bit of weight in it. It was too easy to lose control of the front when I stopped. Once almost going out into the middle of the road because of it. I now strap my bag to a rack on the back which is a lot better.

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:30 pm

ovie68 wrote:I have a warning about having a basket on the front of your bike. I had a basket for a few weeks when I first started commuting but found it was a bit dangerous when there was a bit of weight in it. It was too easy to lose control of the front when I stopped. Once almost going out into the middle of the road because of it. I now strap my bag to a rack on the back which is a lot better.
Thank you for the advice :) I never really thought about the weight influencing the control on a bike! I won't be commuting to and from work, it will be for things like sunscreen and additional water. Will look into the possibility of a rear basket, thanks :)

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Thought it was about time l show you my bike:

Ain't she just beautiful! :mrgreen:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Yeah, it looks nice. I like the basket. :)

popcorn

Postby popcorn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Oh I just bought the Cypress too, my first bike in 10+ years :-) how are you going with yours Missy8787? Do you still love it?