rollin

Re: Centurion Appreciation Society

Postby rollin » Fri May 11, 2012 4:34 pm

love the centurions
her's my old mixte

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 am

In doing some SunTour 'research'. I tripped over this. Is it not an object of great beauty? My favourite era/style, I think.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Centurion peeps

(dear Mods, hope this is OK as I am not looking to "sell or trade" these)

FREE BARS!

I have a pair of Centurion bars that are nothing special but the centre sleeve is engraved "Centurion" and is in pretty fair condition.
The rest of the bars have some surface rust, but should clean up ok with a wire brush.
39cm c-c.
They are for give-away if anyone is interested (Brisbane). I just thought someone might like them on this thread.
They came of a little Centurion Odessa.

sled

Postby sled » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi Guys

My name is Jason

My wife with her triatholons has gotten me into cycling again, however the only way i was hoping on a bike was on something old. Picked up a 10 speed royal star (Bates) which i will post some pics later, did 50kms on it on saturday was great :D Smashed by newer bikes of course but had a ball

Any way the guy i bought the royal star from has also got a centurion turbo he wants around $200.00 for it and it is in average condition, he also has a pascoe for a about the same price (slightly less) but slightly better condition. Is this fair price or a bit high for one of these?

Oh great site loven the bikes

Sd

Postby Sd » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Got a nice Centurion Turbo I thought I'd share with you guys before I put it up for sale to raise money for the next project...

My understanding is it was the top of the line in the Centurion Range in 1984.

Tange 1 frame with Suntour Superb drop outs
Suntour Surperb front and rear derailleur's, peddles
Dia Compe Gran Comp bronze Calipers and brake levers
Kashimax suede saddle
Mighty Aero Cranks
Araya anodized rims with Suzue sealed hubs

I think it is pretty much original including original cloth bar wrap great condition chain rings and cassette and barely used brake pads...

yell out if there was anything I missed you wanted pics of...

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 am

Too big, TG. I would be angsting there. Beautiful. Plus I have a weakness for upper-level Suntour. Good luck with the listing, though. I have a LeMond/Trek listed here at the moment; about to fleabay it. Market's flat, I think, though yours is a few levels up from mine.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

AnthonyRochester

Postby AnthonyRochester » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm happy to find this thread - I recently got an old centurion ladies mtb with an original paint job that looked like a care bear that only eats the pink fruit loops vomited all over it. Once I work out how to attach photos I'll post some pics of my restoration job.

AnthonyRochester

Postby AnthonyRochester » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 pm

This thing looked pretty gross but it is a tange cr-mo double butted frame, 700c araya rims with shimano exage hubs, etc. I got it as a project to turn into a stylish looking bike for my wife. It'll get new handlebars, grips, levers, mudguards, tyres, and a mod for a single front chainring.
I'm just waiting for the lacquer to dry and a couple of parts to arrive then I might post another picture or 2.

AnthonyRochester

Postby AnthonyRochester » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Just finished this thing. The mudguards I got are hard to get right. I'm happy with the 28c tyres. The paint job looks pretty good, but even after around 2 weeks to dry/harden, I dropped a tiny bolt on it and it made a little dent in the paint. I'm a bit discouraged about that.

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Picked this one up on an ill-fated move to Ballarat last year, and it had been stored in a front room, it was in pretty great nick.

Low spec, heavyish, suicide levers and stem shifters...... but it rides beautifully and the controls on the bars make for a laid back and relaxed ride.
Although i was using this for a few months training around Lake W in BRat and it held its own in a cold, nutfreezing SOB of a place like Ballarat.

1983 Centurion Sports DLX .

Some specs from a 1984 Centurion catalogue follow, found on Sheldon Browns website http://www.sheldonbrown.com/centurion1984/index.html

chop wood

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Sat May 04, 2013 10:54 am

Hey fellow Centurion lovers. I'm selling my Dave Scott Ironman frame over in the new member to member marketplace. Just a heads up for followers of this specific thread.
(Mods: Hope that's ok? - If not, sorry)

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Sun May 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I picked this up the other week minus wheels, cranks, seat and post.

Probably a 1976 Centurion Pro Tour mis-listed as an Abeni. It's in the build queue.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 pm

xerlex wrote:I picked this up the other week minus wheels, cranks, seat and post.

Probably a 1976 Centurion Pro Tour mis-listed as an Abeni. It's in the build queue.
:shock: Wow, what a stunner. A Pro Tour is probably my 'most wanted' bicycle, but I doubt I'll ever see one big enough. Those chromed tips are gorgeous and so is the fork rake. Count your blessings that the braze on centre pulls were still there, I can't imagine they would be easy to find :D

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm

LugNut wrote:
xerlex wrote:I picked this up the other week minus wheels, cranks, seat and post.

:shock: Wow, what a stunner. A Pro Tour is probably my 'most wanted' bicycle, but I doubt I'll ever see one big enough. Those chromed tips are gorgeous and so is the fork rake. Count your blessings that the braze on centre pulls were still there, I can't imagine they would be easy to find :D
What size do you ride? Funnily enough this is the second one I've owned, in fact the wheels and cranks are off the first one I had. Both this and the other one I had are 59 seat C-T, 57 top C-C. The other one now is now ridden by a good friend and was given to him as a thank you for building me a frame last year.

I'm very excited to have found another, I didn't expect that lightning would strike twice!

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 pm

xerlex wrote:
LugNut wrote:

What size do you ride? Funnily enough this is the second one I've owned, in fact the wheels and cranks are off the first one I had. Both this and the other one I had are 59 seat C-T, 57 top C-C. The other one now is now ridden by a good friend and was given to him as a thank you for building me a frame last year.

I'm very excited to have found another, I didn't expect that lightning would strike twice!
Lucky indeed! It's bigger than it appears then, I ride an as-big-as-I-can-find seat tube (62, 63c-t), and a 57-58 c-c tt, so it's close, but I have enough touring style bikes already. I'd have to sell my Dawes before I could justify it, and I haven't even had a proper ride of the thing yet :D
It really needs some new decals to do it justice, but from here the paint presents well, and what a colour! I look forward to the 'after' photos down the track.

jools

Postby jools » Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 am

There's a nice old Centurion frame in original condition on ebay at the moment - 58cm / 55cm:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Japa ... 19dc24e05d

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Tue May 07, 2013 6:19 pm

LugNut wrote:
Lucky indeed! It's bigger than it appears then, I ride an as-big-as-I-can-find seat tube (62, 63c-t), and a 57-58 c-c tt, so it's close, but I have enough touring style bikes already. I'd have to sell my Dawes before I could justify it, and I haven't even had a proper ride of the thing yet :D
It really needs some new decals to do it justice, but from here the paint presents well, and what a colour! I look forward to the 'after' photos down the track.
The big ones sure are scarce. I feel like I've seen a lot more larger sized Miyatas than I have Centurions. Centurion really produced some great bikes.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Fri May 17, 2013 9:53 pm

My Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, Tange 1 framed ride bike.

[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/album ... .jpg[/img][/url]

After discovering the crack in my Shogun frame I bought this frame off funnybike and have just finished assembling it after getting a coat of yellow from the powdercoaters. As yet unridden, but should ride very nicely.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 pm

Paddles wrote:My Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, Tange 1 framed ride bike.
Nice. Good colour choice. There's Ironman decals available from the States on eBay if you're interested.
*edit* wa-hey 100 posts. :)

munga

Postby munga » Sat May 18, 2013 5:24 am

paddles that was the raddest colour scheme ever, and you powdercoated over it!! :cry:

are you putting new decals on or keeping it (ahem) subtle?

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Sweet. Really glad this old girl got a new lease on life. I look forward to the first ride report, paddles.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Sat May 18, 2013 2:30 pm

munga wrote:paddles that was the raddest colour scheme ever, and you powdercoated over it!! :cry:

are you putting new decals on or keeping it (ahem) subtle?
Yeah, but judging by the sale pictures it was pretty rough in areas. And at least the new colour retains the spirit of OTT wacky 90s paint schemes 8)

+1 to replacement decals.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sat May 18, 2013 5:35 pm

I have finally acquired a Centurion Professional after looking for 5 years. This is a 60cm ctc so exactly the right size for me. It is a 1972 model made in Mexico by Windsor. This was the first model Centurion ever made as far as I know, and is effectively a rebadged Windsor Professional, which is a Cinelli SC copy. The later Centurion Pro from Japan in the later 1970's was very much the same and also a Cinelli SC copy. I know of only one other of these in the USA (Mine is shipping from the USA). Centurion was a US brand, with the frames mostly made in Japan with the exception of these very early frames. I don't know what happened with Centurion between 1973 and 1975, and I have never seen any. it may be that those 2 years were taken preparing to bring the Japanese sourced range to market.

This one has had 2 owners that were friends. I am told the bike is original apart from saddle, bar tape and other consumables. Notably no Centurion downtube decals and apparently there never were any. This is also the case on the other one of these I have seen.

munga

Postby munga » Sat May 18, 2013 6:01 pm

so now whaddayagunnadoo?

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sat May 18, 2013 6:27 pm

I know what ya mean munga, if the original paint was in a bit better condition I would have been very tempted to keep those crazy late 80's pastels but it was all a bit untidy so golden yellow was the call. I've seen those centurion decals on the bay and been umming and arrrring about whether to get them or just keep it cleanskin and throw on a new tange 1 sticker and leave it at that. I'm very pleased with how it's turned out though, it's a lovely frame FB, I'll go for a ride through the paddocks tomorrow with my daughter and let you know how it goes.