HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby roller » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 pm

norbs wrote:What I would find hilarious is if they go after him for perjury and he gets done. Would live to see the Yellow Army try and rationalise that.

the yellow army could be in for a few nasty surprises.

i say this because to think that someone is capable of telling so many lies to so many thousands of people over such a long time with the straightest face and without a hint of remorse or regret is staggering.

but do you think this same type of person would really limit their deception to only sport?

or would this type, style and magnitude of deception be present in other parts of their life?

ie: if lance is prepared to run a sophisticated scam to lie/cheat/steal tour de france victories, maybe he's happy to lie/cheat/steal from his charity too? :shock:

perhaps he deserves the benefit of the doubt

or has he used all that up?
roller

by BNA » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:29 pm

BNA

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Hooley Dooley Batman, Matt White admits to doping, and resigns!!!
winstonw

Postby btothec » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 pm

winstonw wrote:Hooley Dooley Batman, Matt White admits to doping, and resigns!!!

Copy of his press release/statement

Statement Regarding USADA Report and My Time at US Postal Service Team
I am aware my name has been mentioned during talks that USADA has had with former team mates of mine in their investigation regarding doping activities at the US Postal Service team. I am sad to say that I was part of a team where doping formed part of the team's strategy, and I too was involved in that strategy. My involvement is something I am not proud of and I sincerely apologise to my fans, media, family and friends who trusted me and also to other athletes in my era that consciously chose not to dope.

I stopped my racing career because I had the opportunity to be part of something that had the potential to actually change cycling. The ideas about a clean team that Dave Millar and Jonathan Vaughters spoke to me about back then, were ones that the sport desperately needed. History has shown that these ideas when fully implemented had a lasting affect on our sport. With key elements like " blood profiling" which then was later taken on board as the "Athlete Biological Passport" and the "No-Needles-Policy" which was also adopted by the UCI and WADA, a radical change for the better started to dominate the minds of a lot of athletes. These are legacies that were pioneered at Slipstream and they have had a real and lasting impact on cycling.

In my roles with Slipstream Sports, Cycling Australia and now at ORICA-GreenEDGE, I have always acted within the ethos of clean sport and I am very proud to have worked with the new generation of clean superstars.

A lot has changed for the better, cycling is totally different now, and I have seen these changes as an athlete and also in management with my own eyes in the last decade.

As a sport, cycling has received a lot of criticism regarding doping and rightfully so - but certain teams have also lead the way in fighting an otherwise never ending battle to ensure that professional cycling can stay clean. This battle starts from within and we have had great success in changing this in the current culture in our sport. I am convinced that this battle will need constant monitoring and we must learn constructively from the past. The approach that many riders of my generation had cannot be repeated, and I believe that cycling now has the most rigorous and complete testing regimes of any sport.

I am sorry for the people I have let down because of the personal choice I made at that time, but I have endeavoured to educate and guide the current stars and to ensure that future generations never have to deal with the pressures that existed in the past. But I am very confident that our sport is going the right direction and I believe cycling has a bright future.

Given my admissions above, I have been in contact with my employees and will be voluntarily standing down from my positions with the National Men's High Performance Program with Cycling Australia and as a Sports Director with GreenEDGE Cycling while inquiries into my case are conducted and the Board of Cycling Australia and GreenEDGE make a determination regarding my future with each organisation. I will be refraining from making any further comments until this process has run its due course.

Matt White
btothec

Postby norbs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 pm

winstonw wrote:Hooley Dooley Batman, Matt White admits to doping, and resigns!!!

Media release ...

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/10/mat ... a-release/

Edit : Beaten. See above :)
norbs

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Getting much sleep Norbs?
DaveOZ

Postby norbs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:40 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Getting much sleep Norbs?

To be honest, not a whole lot. This whole business fascinates me. It has also turned me into a moody SOB. Happy one minute, steam from the ears the next when a Armstrong zealot gives me grief.
norbs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 pm

norbs wrote:

Media release ...

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/10/mat ... a-release/

Edit : Beaten. See above :)

About blooming time too... after what he did with Trent Lowe as well I was surprised he got the job he did :roll: .
toolonglegs

Postby norbs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:47 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
About blooming time too... after what he did with Trent Lowe as well I was surprised he got the job he did :roll: .

Especially given WHO he referred him to! :shock:

Who is next of the Aussies? Dodger?
norbs

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 am

Some more background on Matt White - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/matt-wh ... confession
Ross

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:39 am

norbs wrote:To be honest, not a whole lot. This whole business fascinates me. It has also turned me into a moody SOB. Happy one minute, steam from the ears the next when a Armstrong zealot gives me grief.

Yeah, it's easy to get dragged into the whole soap opera. I wonder how long Lance can go on with his head in the sand? And how many more of his supporters will come out and say they were wrong? The Phil Anderson video was interesting. Anyone heard from Phil Liggett? The longer Lance hides the more this is hurting him and if he continues the lie he is history.
DaveOZ

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:27 am

I think Nike should sever ties with Lance. So far they are sticking with him. Now we know what Lance was on, "what are they on?".
New tar seal in front of my wheel
SeditionTrial

Postby find_bruce » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:45 am

I am one of the people who have been critical of the USADA. One of my many reasons being critical is that by spending so much effort on event up to 13 years ago they have not focussed on what is happening now and in the recent past. For me one of the most interesting aspects of the evidence is actually the analysis of biological passport info of Armstrong that suggests he had autologous blood transfusions.

The other unfortunate effect is that you get BS such as that from George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer & now Matt White about how they once were dopers but that is all ancient history & everything is clean now.

As alluded to above, White was fired from Garmin Slipstream in early 2011 after it came out that in 2009 he sent Trent Lowe to del Moral, the former US postal team doctor & recipient of a lifetime ban along with Armstrong et al, for a "Vo2 test". Sure and Ferrari was just giving diet advice and training plans. :roll:
find_bruce

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:49 am

toolonglegs wrote:About blooming time too... after what he did with Trent Lowe as well I was surprised he got the job he did :roll: .

I'm not totally convinced White won't be permitted to return to CA/OGE.

If he is to return it should be in a capacity to bring ASADA up to speed on how anti-doping works and who else that's still involved in Aussie cycling needs to be investigated. He is most certainly not the only one.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 am

There are a lot of two faced mongrels out there that have all of a sudden have become “born again Christians” just to save their own jobs, such as Garmins Vaughter sacking Levi Leipheimer, Christian Vande Velde and David Zabriskie for having used PED’s when he recently confessed to having used PED’s himself.

You can shoot down LA as much as you like, but as far as I’m concerned there was not one successful rider out there during LA’s time that did not use some form of PED.
greyhoundtom

Postby Chuck » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 am

Tom, Vaughters has not sacked Vande Velde or Zabriskie and Levi doesn't race on his team.
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 am

norbs wrote:
To be honest, not a whole lot. This whole business fascinates me. It has also turned me into a moody SOB. Happy one minute, steam from the ears the next when a Armstrong zealot gives me grief.

In that case it won't be long before you are sleeping like a baby. There just seem to be far less of them about now. :roll:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby whitey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:58 am

Now we are having the "good guys" admitting their involvement like Matt White. While I love cycling and I love Greenedge, unfortunately there needs to be consequences for their actions. I cant see how Matt White can return to some role in cycling without having served a suspension for at least a couple of years.

The six month suspensions for Hincapie et al are rubbish, they will be back for the Spring Classics.
whitey

Postby whitey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:00 am

greyhoundtom wrote:You can shoot down LA as much as you like, but as far as I’m concerned there was not one successful rider out there during LA’s time that did not use some form of PED.

And that's the point, all the clean riders were at the back of the pack - they had all their opportunities stolen from them by cheats. The level playing field is a furphy anyway once you read the Secret Race.
whitey

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 am

find_bruce wrote:I am one of the people who have been critical of the USADA. One of my many reasons being critical is that by spending so much effort on event up to 13 years ago they have not focussed on what is happening now and in the recent past.

This is about people that are currently involved either competing, managing, administering, etc. when new evidence comes to light, what do you expect that they should do?

find_bruce wrote:For me one of the most interesting aspects of the evidence is actually the analysis of biological passport info of Armstrong that suggests he had autologous blood transfusions.

The other unfortunate effect is that you get BS such as that from George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer & now Matt White about how they once were dopers but that is all ancient history & everything is clean now.

As alluded to above, White was fired from Garmin Slipstream in early 2011 after it came out that in 2009 he sent Trent Lowe to del Moral, the former US postal team doctor & recipient of a lifetime ban along with Armstrong et al, for a "Vo2 test". Sure and Ferrari was just giving diet advice and training plans. :roll:

Agree.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby norbs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:39 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
norbs wrote:

In that case it won't be long before you are sleeping like a baby. There just seem to be far less of them about now. :roll:

The numbers are dwindling, but the remaining followers seem to be more passionate in their defense. Mainly hiding behind the cancer shield than anything these days. Keep an eye on the shenanigans being performed over the next few days celebrating Livestrongs 15th year.
norbs

Postby grasshopper » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 am

He has only stood down, not resigned, afaik. And with CA already discussing an amnesty for Aussies, and the tone of contrition in his statement, I suspect he'll be back in the chair sooner rather than later. Fess up, say sorry and back to business I'd guess. I just find the contrition and 'cleaning it up with the new breed' sits pretty uncomfortably alongside his recommendation for Trent Lowe.
grasshopper

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:51 pm

grasshopper wrote:

He has only stood down, not resigned, afaik. And with CA already discussing an amnesty for Aussies, and the tone of contrition in his statement, I suspect he'll be back in the chair sooner rather than later. Fess up, say sorry and back to business I'd guess. I just find the contrition and 'cleaning it up with the new breed' sits pretty uncomfortably alongside his recommendation for Trent Lowe.

I have been thinking about this whole situation, and as the old saying goes “It takes one to know one” therefore it may not be such a bad idea to have him in that position.

At least if the issue does come up he should have the experience and understanding to recognise it.
greyhoundtom

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:05 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:At least if the issue does come up he should have the experience and understanding to recognise it.

... and cover it up :P
toolonglegs

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Latest development which I don't notice mentioned here is that Cycling Australia are considering an Amnesty. I heard this as a short news announcement on ABC TV.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby familyguy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:20 am

Hang on, Armstrong's legal team has come up with the solution!

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/arm ... 27llp.html

Take a lie detector test! Brilliant!

Jim
familyguy

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion