Foot bursa

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Baalzamon

Foot bursa

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Yep I got 3 of them!
1 in my right foot and 2 in my left foot. And yep they are causing problems.
If you have ever heard of Mortons Nueroma and think you have it, well chances are it could be a bursa as well. They both have the same symptoms and they can HURT!
Started off in May with a lance of fire in my little right toe that was extremely painful. I would have rather sprained an ankle or busted a bone... Lasted for 15mins and didn't occur for another month and just had a lance of fire shoot down my little toe and go away reminding me it was still there whatever it was. Was quite until one day I was about 90km into a 100km ride and I started to get a hot foot. Nothing I could do would shake it so I was hunting for a shady spot to park my trike and take foot off. All of a sudden that hot foot started shooting lances of fire into my toes OUCH. OK no power coming from that side as I can see shade 100m away. Got to it and ripped my shoe off and pain subsided.
Since then my feet have gradually been getting worse and getting numb toes with fire lancing into them occasionally so I was thinking Mortons Neuroma.
Finally got sick of it after when driving my toes were going numb and fire shooting into them so saw my podiatrist who got me to get 2 ultrasounds of both my feet and they picked up 3 bursa in total.
Should hear tomorrow what my podiatrist wants to do about them when she reads the report...
I think it's time I got full custom shoes now...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Re: Foot bursa

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Ethanol injections. Time for some pain... Will find out how many I need, expecting 5 per bursa. If they are anything like ethanol injections for Morton neuroma it's going to hurt indeed. No anaesthetic used to make sure they are in the right spot...

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Bursa are meant to be there. You have lots of them in your body. When they're inflamed it's symptomatic of another problem usually.
(Morton's neuroma respond well to surgery)

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Bursa are meant to be there. You have lots of them in your body. When they're inflamed it's symptomatic of another problem usually.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Stupid iPhone app double posting

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:41 pm

scotto wrote:Bursa are meant to be there. You have lots of them in your body. When they're inflamed it's symptomatic of another problem usually.
The only bursa that is supposed to be in your feet is between the heel bone and Achilles tendon to stop the tendon rubbing on the bone. Take a read and find out. Podiatrist has already put a meta-tarsal button on both my orthotics. Been using orthotics since 2007 in my regular shoes. I suspect it's my cycling shoes as I don't really do any impact sports due to osteo-arthritis in my left knee. Could have formed years ago doing Body combat/body attack and just managed to aggravate them recently. If that is the case, shoes/trike are extremely suspect.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 pm

I feel your pain - I'm currently recovering from a neuroectomy on my left foot after being first diagnosed with bursitis and a touch of mortons. In my case the injury is a result of my rockclimbing days, when I would crush my feet into shoes 3 sizes too small. My quack does a lot of work on women who wear high heels as well as middle aged ex-rockclimbers!.

I had an ultrasound initially and then an MRI which showed that wy neuroma wasn't huge as these things go, but it was perfectly formed and in exactly the right place to cause the pain you speak of.

At first we tried injections as a conservative strategy, but the pain relief was temporary and the procedure was very painful at the time. Surgery to excise the neuroma, release some cartilage and "spread things out a bit" in mid August was quick - but the recovery is/was slow, quite painful and frustrating to be completely honest.

I'm riding again now (actually I will be riding again after the quack says I can at the end of the month but I hope to have 1000km done by then) so I reckon it worth it. Early signs are that the stabbing pain has gone, there's a dull ache sometimes, but it's much better and improving every day.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Thursday I have the ethanol injection on my right foot. I think it will be very hurting. BUT I'm glad I caught it now. This could have caused Mortons Nueroma due to the compression of the nerves in the front foot

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:20 am

Baalzamon wrote:Thursday I have the ethanol injection on my right foot. I think it will be very hurting. BUT I'm glad I caught it now. This could have caused Mortons Nueroma due to the compression of the nerves in the front foot
So I get there and ofc they were puzzled about ethanol injection. So they took a look themselves and changed to cortisone.
Going to make a tentative appointment for the 2nd Nov and try to see a physio about this now and ICE as well to see if between us we can stop the symptoms initially and finally get rid of them without cortisone.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Just what you want, confusion from the so called people in the know! :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:07 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Just what you want, confusion from the so called people in the know! :(

Foo
Yep indeed.
Going to sleep on Thursday night wasn't fun!
I couldn't find a spot where my right foot wasn't sore. I had to create a void at the end of the bed where there was space for my foot so the sheet wasn't touching it.
I'll be back on my bike sat for a ride with my current shoes :( Already sent off enquiries for Bont Vaypor XC shoes.