The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Le Velo

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Le Velo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:29 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Good to have you back Foo!.
My day was OK but not great... fitness has dropped off in the last few weeks and I wanted to get back on top of it.
Remedy... a 3000+ meters climbing in 70kms with a light weight hill climber for company.
Didn't go to plan though. Pick up was at 8am... he texted about that time and said it was raining 20kms away at his place, were we still going?. I said up to you, I am not too fussed either way ( not really true :lol: ). So he says see you in 30 minutes. We have an 80 km drive first and don't get on the bikes till nearly 10am.
Straight into it... 15kms at 8-9% av... but two or three km's average 13-15% :lol: .I just settle into my own pace, we pass a few guys in the drizzle going up with back packs on... my mate thinks this is an easy climb like Alpe D'huez, sorry mate this is in a different class :P . Rain starts really coming down as we hit the hard bits and once out of the tree's the wind gets cold.
At the summit it is cold, rain has turned to sleet and visibility is zero. Quick photo and off we go down the other side, very quickly talk turns to the bail out route... it is really cold, we are soaking wet and the brakes are on the whole way down!. About 10 kms down we are shivering like crazy and the body isn't really working so bailing is the only option. We were planning on adding on another HC col to make it a big day but that ain't going to happen. The descent is amazing ( the way the Tour de France came up the Grand Colombier from Culoz )... I have never been on that section of road but the hairpins are the best I have ever seen. It is so on the list of climbs to do now!... certainly longer andeasier than the side we went up but the views are loads better!.
We finally got back to the car 15kms later not really warming up at all... certainly best to have bailed in the end.
Now to put it into "Strava" perspective... the KOM for that climb is 59 minute... I took 1h22m :lol: ... I started at the bottom, the kom kid started nearly 100kms away and carried on for another 100 afterwards... no one is within 15 minutes of his time :lol: . The difference between "nearly" pro's and mortals.
Loved it :D .
+1 TLL

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 pm

love the updates TLL - you are very committed i don't know if i'd be up for riding in that weather..

Foo i know the feeling. i sometimes don't sleep great and it kills your performance on the bike.

was chomping at the bit this morning after missing out on a ride with a couple of riding mates due to lack of car and inability to meet starting point, so i headed up to king lake instead. did 800 VAM including a brief stop so i've decided to focus on improving that. i have beaten that on shorter climbs but elevation error makes those dubious - see if i can get it up to 1000 before end of the year.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm

I did 200km (round trip) of driving yesterday to check out a proposed route for a road race course. 74Km of hills, potholes and rough surfaces. Totally unsuited for a race (road too narrow and rough, and far too many hidden driveways in one section) - but between myself and the other guy having pissing contests up every hill (and he weighs about 20kg less than I do!), it ended up being a relatively tough ride, and I was very happy to get off the bike at the end. Doing 108km at speed the day before probably didn't help.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:24 am

twizzle wrote: 74Km of hills, potholes and rough surfaces. Totally unsuited for a race (road too narrow and rough, and far too many hidden driveways in one section)
Sounds like most of the goat tracks we often race on :D .

Still have not got my legs back from Sunday, pushing that hard in the cold up a super steep climb had consequences!.
Yesterday I did 45kms on wooden legs.
Today I did 104 pushing hard... but the legs are still feeling rough. They even hurt after the ride especially walking down stairs... not very common with me!. Tried to keep a 30km av for the whole ride with a 13km climb in the middle.
Think I might have done it if I hadn't hit something on the way down... heard the front tube go psss psss psss then it stopped. Strange. Realized I had lost 50% of the air out the front but it had stopped leaking, couldn't be bothered stopping with 40kms to go so I carried on... just took it a bit easy on the corners. But about 15kms from home it let go at 60kmph or so :lol: . Oh well.
Been checking out the guys on Strava ahead of me... all young guys riding Division National 1 or 2 & a couple of pros... including one of the Garmin riders that went up there so fast it beggars belief ( although it was in the Criterium Dauphiné ).
Never going to take 3 or 4 minutes needed off that climb unless I dump the required weight :oops: ... but if I do I should be sitting pretty in my Catergorie next year :lol: .

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:31 pm

I only clocked out about 6km yesterday as it was getting dark but this was very hilly terrains around my area and all done on my single speed haha.
I took one hill that had a very decent incline and by the last part of the hill I was down to about .5-1 rotation per second on the crank. It was difficult as. I was nearly at stopping speed but battled through and didn't end up falling which is great. Now that I think of it i'm sure glad the main link on the chain held up to my awesome power hahaha.

I was going to ride to work tomorrow, it was going to be my first maiden voyage on the HMS Pro-LITE haha. I'm going to take it for a spin tonight to make sure everything is ok. Boy what an exciting week this is.

I have a new Pro-Lite Jersey and shorts coming soon which i'm super excited about too.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:42 pm

8)

flow.rider

Postby flow.rider » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:10 pm

Preston to king lake west and back. Damn the flying tart was closed. No bakery treats for me.
Quite a few people heading out that way today. Last minute prep for the King Lake ride on Sat I bet.
I love being on my way home at 9:30am knowing they have that climb ahead of them haha. Good on you guys!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yesterday I did 45kms on wooden legs.
How do you manage to put in 400km weeks? Not every week I see, but you have some big weeks. Do you have a nana-nap during the day is my main question? 100km days for me, 2:30-3pm and I am barely conscious.

You need to climb more I think 85,000m in 12,000km, come on, I thought you were in France not Holland :D

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:52 pm

No nana naps... Only once or twice this year. Don't really get tired but do get hungry!!!.
350-400kms a week is about all I can handle, but then I do do most rides pretty hard... The only advantage for me in doing longer k's would be fat busting at a slower speed. But where is the fun in that!. If I had the time I probably would though ;-) .
On the climbing... Well I do average over 10000 meters most months, but November to February you can't really go high ( or long ) because of the cold and snow. Plus for me to climb any descent amount I have to go 30kms east to the Bugey or the same west to the Beaujolais region, so they become minimum 3 hour rides... most of my rides are in the 2 hour range.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Went for a Mtb ride in miserable conditions for 3 hours on sunday... Pushed it pretty hard with my riding buddy, sometimes a bit too hard but ended up staying upright all day long.
I did say to him the position seems weird after being on the road bike for so long.
Managed to not get an eye infection after rinsing the mud out of my eyes for two days with antiseptic drops... My mate wasn't so lucky.
But did manage to slightly strain a muscle on the inside of my thigh ... Not sure when to get back on the bike as I feel it when lifting my leg and not pushing down. Grrr.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Meditating on Rule #9 and loving the work. Spending a lot of time on the trainer on the tri bike, and starting to feel strong on it. I'll get another road ride on it on the weekend, on a hilly course. Good training for Cairns. Still Too Fat to Climb though.
You have officially become your parents.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 pm

I had yesterday off due to the really bad weather (and I could afford a rest day), but today I had no choice but to get back into it. About 30 minutes into the ride, it suddenly (and I mean suddenly!) went from calm conditions (2kph wind with 6kph gusts) to a 28kph wind with 48kph gusts... and then got worse as the ride went on (37kph wind, 56kph gusts at the end). It was incredible, one second I'm cruising along, then next I'm cranking out ~ 420W doing 22kph, trying to negotiate slip lanes while the wind was blowing me first one way and then the other in the lane as the wind kept shifting. Very, very scary at times - I ended up frozen and completely stuffed after 46km... not helped when I reached for the bidon at the 30km mark and found empty air. I must have left it at home. :oops:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:39 am

Twizzle no better over here. Yesterday forecast strong easterly so I took the 86 gear inch singlespeed for the 5 km east, then 40 km north commute to work. Except the wind was a NE peaking at 40kmh gusting to 60kmh at the mid point. It was a slog, average cadence just over 60rpm for the trip.

Today's forecast moderate NW, even though it was calm when I left home, I learnt my lesson yesterday, took a geared bike. Great riding conditions for 1st 10km, then the wind hit and got worse, as in your face N, which peaked 25kmh gust to 40kmh on the last exposed river section. Averaged 0.6kmh faster on the northbound section than yesterday.

At least it was warm and I was riding on a PSP, the worst the wind could of done was blow me in the river

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Wow was a fantastic weekend for riding (today moreso than yesterday)

I finally took out the Pro-lite cuneo yesterday to see how it went and I clocked up 55.57 km, went from Rowville on the eastlink trail and then turned right and followed the path all the way to Colchester road. I would have gone further up towards Mt Dandenong but the weather was looking a bit suspicious.

Today I thought i'd head down my favourite run on the prolite again which was from rowville to Chandler highway all the way down the eastlink trail, through doncaster and onto the yarra bend trail (wow there are some big hills down there. I was struggling as my water was empty and the banana I brought with me was absolutely mulched in my carry bag (tools and bananas don't mix) so I turned back and turned left at Chandler highway and grabbed 4 cherry ripes and a packet of snake lollies for a bit of journey. I should have bought some water but forgot, further on the way back home I found a water fountain. I clocked up 90.19

For quite a long track I was quite suprised to only see 2 water fountains on the whole way.

I kept hearing noises through the drivetrain and thought it might have been the chain, after multiple changes I still couldn't figure it out. I did find the bike harder to ride, no matter what I did I could not get the front deraileur to behave. The chain came off twice even though the front deraileur was on properly and aligned.

I get home and check everything and found out what was rattling about and guess what it was lmao ...... Both chainrings were completely loose, I am suprised I didn't loose any of the washers on the rear or any of the bolts (someone must be looking after me upstairs). No wonders I couldn't adjust the front deraileur.

I may take it to a LBS to get both deraileuers adjusted properly. Whats a nice way to ask the LBS to take extra care with the bike? I hate scratches and would rather pay more for someone to work on a bike and not scratch it up than someone cheaper.

Last time I took my frame in for some work, the guy was talking with my frame in his hand and the rear stay bars nearly hit the metal counter edge. I take so much care when working on the bike, I even use clothes and a piece of foam wrapped around the bar when using a bicycle workshop stand.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Canungra Binna Burra Tamborine Mtn yesterday
Gap Creek to Mt Nebo via Southern Boundary trail on the mtb today.
Am appropriately wasted.

mjd

Postby mjd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Big day yesterday. With Grafton to Inverell just a couple of weeks away I needed to get a long one in.
207.6km
2789m elevation
197 watt avg power
NP 219 watts
30.2kph avg speed
AVG HR 147
4877KJ
TSS 378.3
IF 0.744
It was a long lonely day. Was certainly glad to get off the bike but was happy that I got it in as I was worried because I had not done much over 4 hours in a while. Did a couple of hours today & it was not something I was enjoying tbh.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 am

^^^impressive ride!.

My training is hard work at the moment... today I was going to do 100kms with 2500m climbing but pulled the pin at 66km/1000m, my legs were in pain :oops: . 100kms yesterday with out leg warmers has strained my already fragile hamstrings I think!... my legs ( and everything else ) were frozen the whole ride yesterday, probably shouldn't of pushed it so hard in those conditions. Really is time I rebuilt the winter bike with it's more relaxed position.
Day off tomorrow... lots of massage and a bit of gentle stretching, see how I go Thursday :roll: .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 am

Day off today... even though I had the itch.
Legs feel better... lucky because someone mentioned the Col de Porte ( not my local Col des Portes )... then some else mentioned the Chalet of Charmant Som which starts at the top of Col de Porte and climbs for another 6kms :roll: .
Oh dear.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Good week. Have managed several 50km road rides, as well as a couple of sessions at the local showground doing laps on my MTB, then running off the bike. That's my new strategy for when I'm on call, and can't go out for a proper ride. Seems to be effective.
Also joined CA and rode in my first crit tonight. That was fun. TRack training next week, all organised. N+1, here we come.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:19 am

Got a bit of religion up high today :D ... gale force winds made it fun!. No records today... just plodding out the k's.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 am

That looks brilliant TLL.. My kind of riding.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Looks like a big pizza oven TLL, is there something you're not telling us about your training? :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:32 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Got a bit of religion up high today :D ... gale force winds made it fun!. No records today... just plodding out the k's.

Huge ride in vertical Km TLL. Nice one. Aren't you going to have to hibernate soon :wink:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:32 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Got a bit of religion up high today :D ... gale force winds made it fun!. No records today... just plodding out the k's.

Huge ride in vertical Km TLL. Nice one. Aren't you going to have to hibernate soon :wink:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 am

First ride today after three days off the bike with viral gastro, which I probably picked up in a restaurant on Thursday. Mind you, given the state of the loos as work, a meaningful percentage of the co-workers are carriers. :evil: Maybe I slipped on the personal hygiene at work, but I'm pretty careful.

According to the computer model, those three days off the bike has wiped all of the fitness gains from the last month. :(