Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

eeksll

Re: Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

Postby eeksll » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:18 am

thanks, Ill tighten up the "QR" I actually don't have a QR on the wheel, its a hex bolt skewer.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:04 pm

eeksll wrote:question for all you disc roadies, do you guys get any rotor rub when doing out of the saddle climbing/riding?

I did a disc conversion on my commuter, flat bar/dynamo/surly 1x1 fork/bb7, i get rotor rub whenever I get out of the saddle and its not big hills either (think bike path and taking off at traffic lights). I can lessen it somewhat by being very very light with my hands.

edit: i guess the question can probably go out to any disc brake users.
Our Tandem makes little chime noises pretty regular, mind you we are running 203mm rotors. With the 160mm rotors you had to be really swinging off it to flex the fork and frame enough to get any noises out of the brake.

If you can deal with having a longer lever pull, open the pads up a little to allow a greater margin for flex.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 pm

eeksll wrote:question for all you disc roadies, do you guys get any rotor rub when doing out of the saddle climbing/riding?

I did a disc conversion on my commuter, flat bar/dynamo/surly 1x1 fork/bb7, i get rotor rub whenever I get out of the saddle and its not big hills either (think bike path and taking off at traffic lights). I can lessen it somewhat by being very very light with my hands.
Did the same conversion (flat bar commuter, Nashbar CX fork, BB7) - no signs of rubbing ever (unless the rotor is warped or I set the pads really close). At worst, occasionally something seems to make a pad rub. A quick and gentle tug of the lever (just enough to engage the pads but not apply braking force) stops it.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 am

(AT) eeksil,

Occasionally with the BB7, especially when the rotor is hot from a descent, but not so far with the hydros and TRP Parabox.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Stolen from WW re new stuff at Interbike

One more highlight.

I met with the folks at ACROS to talk about their hydraulic drivetrain system. I asked about Road as well.
Most likely 2013 for an ACROS Road group (everything but the cranks). Hydraulic Road brakes will be available as both disc and rim options.
It will be very, very light.
And it will be expensive.

ACROS has been forgotten a bit, but they actually produced a MTB groupset that is hydraulically activated, and is very good and light.

Seems like there might be something in the wings to get rid of all the cables on a roadie and have the nirvana of discs as well :mrgreen: :shock: :D

http://jedi-sports.de/product_info.php? ... B Groupset - Sorry, page is in German, and the english version only translates the top part of the page

Looks very nice - Shifter, FD & RD are Euro 1,570 (incl. 19% VAT) and only 427g :shock:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 am

Latest on the Volagi range from Interbike - a bit of a video as well

http://reviews.mtbr.com/volagi-interbike-booth

HURRY UP AND GET THEM IN AUS DREW & ANITA !!!!!!!

[sigh]

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:29 pm

The sleeping giant awakes…...
http://www.bikeman.org/index.php?option ... s&Itemid=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not so sure you could call this a cx bike but it could be a move in the (any) road disc direction

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:46 pm

baabaa wrote:Not so sure you could call this a cx bike
With that geometry, you can't call it a road bike.

It has 38mm tyres, cx brake levers and a triple crank set. If that isn't a cyclocross bike, then what is?

Interesting development though. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:23 pm

rkelsen wrote:
baabaa wrote:Not so sure you could call this a cx bike
With that geometry, you can't call it a road bike.

It has 38mm tyres, cx brake levers and a triple crank set. If that isn't a cyclocross bike, then what is?

Interesting development though. :)
that's definitely a cx. the seat post bolt is interesting

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Well must be just me.
To me cross means 30-35mm tyres and a single chain ring up front. Ok yes I do so like cross top levers but real ones which work from the cross tops.
You just cannot shoulder a bike with a top bar like that. I call this a drop bar hybrid disc bike but it also looks like a bad drop bar 29er ( DB29ers are and should be things of beauty...)

Anyway Google translation makes it all clear cut....

Giant published this summer will be the first to add a new shells are recreational sports design packaging both cars sports cars fitness of all-terrain vehicles ANYROAD.
In recent years, Giant is committed to the development in accordance with the needs of more people bike, new models for the purpose of rotating health, more reasonable frame geometry designed for the beginner who emphasize professional athletics market in general or commodity main so cars that people can choose it is rare.
The keynote good product design, of course, the parity is also important option for fitness beginners ANYROAD 2 carrying SORA 3x9 transmission system, the gear ratio is quite adequate, aluminum frame, the official suggested retail price is NT $ 21800.
Aluminum alloy also use complex deformation pipes quite prominent appearance, but do not have the sense of vulnerability of the carbon fiber, hide-seat bundle the past two years, high-level competition sports car design elements.
For beginners like fitness, the traditional competitive sports car brake is not really a people accustomed to the evil of tighter necessary body pressure lower hold the next bit of the brakes have more braking force, ANYROAD in so do booster car handle height settings such as mountain bike frame geometry, but provide curved design allows the beginner can also easily handle grip sports car, also auxiliary brake handle, let beginner faster brake reaction time, greatly enhance security.
Before the ride carbon fork, 140mm disc mechanical disc brakes.
Variable speed walking, hidden line design Fridays through conversion pipeline coating can also enhance the durability.
With the development of the wheel group with tire increase the tire width tread design can enjoy speed can also add more pavement applicability.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:03 pm

baabaa wrote:Anyway Google translation makes it all clear cut....
Almost... :?

Interesting, tho' IMO Sora isn't the way to go. Better be mudguard compatible too.
Wonder if Giant wants any development riders down under...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Almost... :?

Interesting, tho' IMO Sora isn't the way to go. Better be mudguard compatible too.
Wonder if Giant wants any development riders down under...
i'll put my hands up - will do 10k on it next year if they like

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:13 pm

:lol: Love your work!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Laughed myself silly, awesome translation.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 pm

baabaa wrote:The sleeping giant awakes…...
http://www.bikeman.org/index.php?option ... s&Itemid=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not so sure you could call this a cx bike but it could be a move in the (any) road disc direction
More here
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/10/11/fou ... n-america/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Hydraulics for me, SRAM is taking too long...

Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Looks good there Chris - like it's meant to belong from the start.

Eagerly waiting to do the same to my very own Liscio !!!!

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Pro Bike - Ben Berden’s cable actuated TRP hydraulic brake setup (CX Bike)
http://www.cyclingdirt.org/video/660355 ... sc-CX-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:27 am

SRAM Hydro Red finally making an appearance ...

Stolen from WW forum
Noticed a few riders at our cross race this weekend in CO with what appears to be the new SRAM Hydraulic Disk brakes, the levels are much taller, this was the best photo I could find:

http://www.sportifimages.com/Cyclocross" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &k=62Zt78Q
About bloody time .. :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:27 am

Oh, and I have a nice early Xmas & birthday pressie coming ...

Just in time to get some miles in before the Alpine Audax Classic in Jan 13

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:18 am

MichaelB wrote:SRAM Hydro Red finally making an appearance ...

Dats fonny lukkin'! :wink:

It should be hard to slip off the hoods then. We'll probably get used to the new look, like everything else.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:45 am

Nobody wrote: Dats fonny lukkin'! :wink:

It should be hard to slip off the hoods then. We'll probably get used to the new look, like everything else.

http://www.sportifimages.com/Cyclocross ... Q&lb=1&s=A

Looks funny and big up close, but from a distance doesn't look so bad. Image is copyright, so had to link to the website

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:24 pm

A lot of people seem pretty anti-disc brakes on CX and road bikes over at http://forums.competitor.com/topic/17959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Ross wrote:A lot of people seem pretty anti-disc brakes on CX and road bikes over at http://forums.competitor.com/topic/17959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some are never happy.

Cannondale team made the switch

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/ ... cup_264572

From the article ;

“We made the decision to go over 100 percent to disc brakes,” said Cannondale manager Stu Thorne, who had just hidden Tim Johnson’s bike, with its new, fully hydraulic SRAM disc brakes, before a journalist could snap a photo of it.

Extra grams aside, Thorne says the team’s Avid BB7 cable-actuated disc brakes work great, and that the riders love them. He points to the super-muddy World Cup October 28 race in Plzen, Czech Republic, as one where discs really shone.

His riders changed bikes every half lap, and in that time the cantilever-equipped bikes had mud clogging their brakes, front derailleurs and the area above the tires. His team’s brakes, meanwhile, were mud free and “the rotors were gleaming in the sun.” His team didn’t even replace a single brake pad after the race, Thorne added.

Not for all people, but they do work.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:SRAM Hydro Red finally making an appearance ...

Jeez, that's been hit very hard with the Ugly Stick!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;