Starting road cycling, which bike to go for?

fzl769

Starting road cycling, which bike to go for?

Postby fzl769 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi all,

I hope I am posting in the right place. Anyways, I am about to complete my year 12 studies and my parents have given me a budget of around $1500 to get a road bike. I've loved cycling since I was very little, but stopped a while back after my bike was stolen... So now that I've got time on my hands again, I'm looking to make a good purchase.

I have never cycled on a road bike before, only mountain bikes. I've looked around and have done some research to get some basic knowledge, I am hoping to get the best bike I can for my budget straight up and add accessories on later.

Currently, just looking through the internet, the giant defy 1 seems appropriate, but I have also had a look on this link is broken.au (got this from a guy called durianriders on youtube) and there seems to be a lot of carbon bikes on sale for quite cheap. For example the Ridley Orion 1105B 105 is currently on sale for $1400 which is the around the same for a new Giant defy 1 2013.

Other bikes I've had a look at:
Boardman Team

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good new bike around that price? There are so many choices and I have no idea which is better or worse. Also, with the carbon bikes, should I buy one from one of the big companies with lifetime warranties, or are they sturdy enough not to break after a few years.

Predominantly, I'd use this bike for commuting around the city and going on rides over weekends with some of my other friends who cycle around.

Any input is welcome, thanks!
Frank.

ft_critical

Re: Starting road cycling, which bike to go for?

Postby ft_critical » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi Frank.

I will post something you will probably ignore.

Get someone to fit you, find out what measurement bike will suit your unique body – top tube length, seat-tube length, angles, chain stay length, reach... etc. That should be the start point of your search. The pleasure you will get from the right sized bike will far outweigh any aesthetic. The other part is with a fit and knowing your measurements, although it cost you several hundred dollars, you can buy something either second hand or from the internet with assurety; thus actually saving in the long run. :idea:

The only problem, of course, is that without experiencing the pain of an ill-fitting bike, this advice might not be appreciated. That is okay, I never listened to anyone either. Bike shops of course offer fits, but that is fitting you to one of their stock, not finding the ideal bike for your unique body.

FT.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Checkout BikeExchange.com.au for deals on 2012 models.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Check out and test ride a whole range of bikes in your budget.

Giant Defy is a bit upright, if your going to race or want to push less wind get a TCR.

Plenty of 2011/12 run outs and so many different brands out there it is crazy.

I saw some Fuji bikes that look and feel great recently, and they are pretty hot prices.

JM

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 am

Given your predominant use for the bike will be commuting and weekend recreational rides I would go for an aluminium frame. Ignore the suggestions about race geometry carbon bikes.

fzl769

Postby fzl769 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback,

I do think aluminium is the one to go, they are stronger (I think?) than the carbon ones. Would it be best to go with Giant, Trek etc which have lifetime warranty? Are there any other businesses like that?

So apart from the aluminium frame, good fit, for my $1500 budget, what sort of other things should be standard? (Shimano 105s?)

And if anyone knows any bikes around that range which I should go for please help me out :D

Currently I'm looking at:
Boardman Team
Defy 1
Ridley Orion 1105B (on special for $1499)

Are there better bikes for this price? and does anyone know anything about these, whats good, whats to look out for?

(The Giant Defy composite 1 has ultegra components, is this a good bike? Also in price range but i'm not sure what composite material is..)

I doubt I would be going into racing, but lots of weekly cycles and I do plan to ride the 15kms to uni quite often.

Thanks again!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am

You might be able to pick up a carbon-bike from one of the bike-shops if it is a 2011 or 2012 runout model. And you'd be surprised at how good even a lower-end model can be.

- Shimano 105 is perfectly good
- Ultegra is nice if you can get it, but not essential
- Get a proper bike fit so you are comfortable on the bike, that will keep away injuries too

If you are doing lots of riding, you'll like a lighter bike. I have a Trek, but I'd just as easily have gone for a Specialized when I started out. The only thing that swayed me to Trek was the LBS had great service and were so patient to answer my stupid beginner questions. :oops: I'd recommend buying from the LBS rather than buying a bike sight-unseen for your first road-bike.

A composite bike would be carbon. These carbon frames can be very light and if you upgrade them later on with some really light wheels they can be really fast.

Bikexchange is a good website for seeing what's available.

teak81

Postby teak81 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 pm

My advice would be to of course get a bike fit. But don't over indulge on your first bike purchase as inevitably you will feel the need to upgrade in short order. So buy a cheapy first.
2011 Malvernstar xcs 1.0
2012 Oppy a5
2011 fm 015

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:50 pm

g-boaf wrote: - Shimano 105 is perfectly good
- Ultegra is nice if you can get it, but not essential
I really dislike how Shimano have got a monopoly on the OEM market, Shimano ergonomics are not for everyone. SRAM and Campag should really try to get into this market too

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:28 pm

If you are planing on doing lots of cycling, you also have to forget about the bike and think about the accessories and clothing you will also need, pump, spare tubes, tyre levers, multitool, bike computer(optional), decent knicks, jersey, pedals(most road bikes come without), shoes etc as this can easily add $500+

SpinninWheels

Postby SpinninWheels » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Frank,

Not sure where you are located, but a shop in Brisbane called Bums on Bikes had Carbon Cannondale Super Six (2011 models) with 105 for $1500. These are / were a $3k bike.

If I was looking in your range that would be top of my list.

Happy Hunting.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:17 pm

SpinninWheels wrote:Frank,

Not sure where you are located, but a shop in Brisbane called Bums on Bikes had Carbon Cannondale Super Six (2011 models) with 105 for $1500. These are / were a $3k bike.

If I was looking in your range that would be top of my list.

Happy Hunting.
Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Good budget, good initial selection.

Keep in mind accessories and theft ( and/or insurance )

Reman

Postby Reman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:06 am

Mrfenejeans wrote:If you are planing on doing lots of cycling, you also have to forget about the bike and think about the accessories and clothing you will also need, pump, spare tubes, tyre levers, multitool, bike computer(optional), decent knicks, jersey, pedals(most road bikes come without), shoes etc as this can easily add $500+
+1, I've already spent double my bike cost on accessories and clothing :oops:

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:26 am

I just purchased a trek Madone 3.1 i'm using this to commute and Saturday rides, Are these no good for commuting ?