Sun sleeves - recommendations?

misterhorsey

Sun sleeves - recommendations?

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am

Anyone ride with sun sleeves? And if so, anyone have any recommendations?

Or tips on comfort, fit etc etc. Are they comfortable? Do they work? Slippage? Do they stay cool etc etc.

Went for a 4 hour ride yesterday and came back quite burnt on the face despite applying sunscreen (but probably not reapplying as I should have). Anyway, with summer approaching (finally!) looking to get some sleeves to avoid burn and having to apply sunscreen all the time.

Some options.

http://www.this link is broken/Pearl-Izumi-Sun-Sleeves'" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.this link is broken/Netti-2013- ... Sun-Sleeve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UV-SUN-PROTE ... 2940wt_907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cancervic.org.au/store/shop- ... ingsleeve1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

misterhorsey

Re: Sun sleeves - recommendations?

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 am

Would like me, and all of us, to avoid this kind of outcome:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/06 ... 73546.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 am

I have the Nettis, they're ok but the exposed rubber/elastic isn't particularly 'sticky' so they tend to fall down unless really tight... Also have some Pearl Izumi arm warmers which stay up much better.

Netti sizing is also quite a bit larger than PI; my PI warmers are XL and a perfect fit; Nettis in L are slightly loose (but M too small).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:51 am

I have the pearl izumi sun sleeves (like thin arm warmers) work very well and are quite comfy. Stay in place well too.

They also provide a bit of protection from wind chill without overheating too much. I used them all through last summer and have just gotten them out again...

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:24 pm

I got some LG ones from CE, and they are really good. They are more like a cotton fabric, rather than lycra.

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/lou ... spf50.aspx

As good as some Castelli ones I got a couple of years ago.

I found the T7 (and other similar cheaper) ones had big elastics and were very tight and not real flash (still protected OK)

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 pm

m@ wrote:I have the Nettis, they're ok but the exposed rubber/elastic isn't particularly 'sticky' so they tend to fall down unless really tight... Also have some Pearl Izumi arm warmers which stay up much better.

Netti sizing is also quite a bit larger than PI; my PI warmers are XL and a perfect fit; Nettis in L are slightly loose (but M too small).
I've found the opposite. I have some Netti knee warmers in medium and bought Pearl Izumi in small that fall down.

As far as sun sleeves go, they are great for sun protection but not quite as cool as having just bare arms. If you were just commuting or touring then they would be ok but a bit warm for me when climbing during racing.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:23 pm

I have the eBay variety a few years back. Works very well with a choice of colours. It came out of Korea at the time. It was durable too.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Ozkaban wrote:I have the pearl izumi sun sleeves (like thin arm warmers) work very well and are quite comfy. Stay in place well too.

They also provide a bit of protection from wind chill without overheating too much. I used them all through last summer and have just gotten them out again...

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
+1. I used them all last Summer and have just started wearing them again in the last couple of weeks. Even on the really hot days you don't over heat.

kait

Postby kait » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:51 pm

The ones Aldi had a few weeks back were great, I stocked up on those. My other faves are Zensah Armsleeves because of the colours, but don't know if they come in mens .

http://injinjiper.cart.net.au/store/zen ... m-sleeves/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 pm

I use Assos Arm Protectors in white.
2010 BMC SLC01

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:38 pm

I have some some sparms http://www.sparms.com.au/ and find them cool to wear and they stay on without any trouble.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Sounds like fit can be quite variable with these, like most body hugging garments. I'm veering towards the Pearl Izumi at the moment.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Just a heads-up but Cell Pearl Izumi sun sleeves going out for $19.00 a pair.

Andrew
Andrew

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:54 pm

I've been wearing Route7 sun sleeves since April? Get the fluoro ones, they are the same weight as the white ones.

I would prefer something lighter, but at 10 bucks a pair I can't say no. The elastic is solid as a rock, very impressedwith that part. I'm skinny and use mediums.

Got some weird tan lines at my wrist though between the sleeves and gloves. :shock:

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Just for the record, I got me some $7 ebay numbers based on the very thorough analysis of the merits of each pair of sunsleeves being chucked out the window, and instead adopting the approach 'for $7 delivered you can't go wrong'.

I've yet to have worn them in anger tho.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 am

sogood wrote:I have the eBay variety a few years back. Works very well with a choice of colours. It came out of Korea at the time. It was durable too.
I think I have the same ones. If you get any slippage put them on over the end of the sleeve on your jersey, like 10mm overlap is pleanty and they won't go anywhere.

I tend to use long sleeve jersey's these days at all times but the sleeves are good for when my primary jersey's havn't made it back from the washing :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Wore the ebay cheapies on the bendigo belter ride. 4 and half hours in the saddle, temp reaching 22.4 apparently, but felt a bit hotter. Must have been those climbs.

Anyway, no slippage whatsoever, and I have fairly inconsequential arms (width wise). Not sure how I'd cope in hotter weather tho, but for sunny and moderate warmth, pretty good result. Very happy with the quality and price.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:53 am

Bought Netti a while back as I am doing 5+ hour rides most weekends. I suggest you don't buy unless you can try, or buy two sizes and sell/give the pair that don't fit to a mate. Fit is too important.

Another thing, we did ~200k 3500m on a really hot day a few weeks ago. If you squirt your sun sleeves with water occasionally, the evaporation keeps you cooler than bare arms.

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:04 am

Sun sleeves, seriously?

Each to their own I guess.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 am

Shred931 wrote:Sun sleeves, seriously?

What's the issue with sun sleeves? Saves coating your arms in slimy sunblock. Just throw them in the washing machine at the end of your ride along with the rest of your kit.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:21 am

Ross wrote:

What's the issue with sun sleeves? Saves coating your arms in slimy sunblock. Just throw them in the washing machine at the end of your ride along with the rest of your kit.
+1

I burn very quickly and find sun sleeves to be a great solution. Work better than sunblock too as they don't wear off after a while and sweat doesn't affect them.

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:34 am

I use one of hubbies discarded white cotton work shirts.

Works a treat!

It's cotton, so beautifuly cool.
It's big, so feels light and unrestrictive.
Sleeves are long enough that the unbuttoned cuffs cover down to my finger tips.
The collar raised up protects the back of my neck.
He's tall, so the shirt is long enough to cover down to mid-thigh.

All-in-all an effective, comfortable solution....

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:49 am

Sunscreen only lasts for 4 hours, if you're lucky. Rides go for longer and with the sleeve there's no need to reapply.

edit: spelling!
Last edited by misterhorsey on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 am

A sign of someone who does not ride very far. 150km+ on a summers day and they are (almost*) essential. 100km, I still wear them.

*Yes you could use sunscreen, but these are better.

+1 on the Perl Izumis. Use them on longer distance rides all the time. In fact, I am going to buy some knee ones too after the brevet a couple of weeks ago.

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 am

simonn wrote:

A sign of someone who does not ride very far. 150km+ on a summers day and they are (almost*) essential. 100km, I still wear them.

*Yes you could use sunscreen, but these are better.

+1 on the Perl Izumis. Use them on longer distance rides all the time. In fact, I am going to buy some knee ones too after the brevet a couple of weeks ago.
I'd be more worried about your ears, neck and face. You should wear one of these - http://www.this link is broken/Netti-Super ... -Balaclava" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;