can you suggest any good rides around Maryborough/Bundaberg?

Scotness

can you suggest any good rides around Maryborough/Bundaberg?

Postby Scotness » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi guys - I'm planning another short tour with my 10 year old son - I was thinking of around the Maryborough/Bundaberg area - if anyone here knows the area well could you make some suggestions about various routes and sites to see. I'm mainly looking at country roads of course, off the highway. We were thinking 200-300km's over maybe 4 days

Thanks in advance
Scot :-)
My new novel Shows So Fair out now!

elantra

Re: can you suggest any good rides around Maryborough/Bundab

Postby elantra » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:32 am

With your 10 year old son, am i correct to presume that it is on a tandem ?

If so, then i would cautiously advise Bundaberg to Gin Gin to Mt Perry and return, all up less than 300 km.

Mt Perry is a nice destination, and you won't find too many country roads of reasonable quality that are as quiet as that.
Back in the 80's Mt Perry was almost a ghost town and you could ride all the way from Gin Gin to Mt Perry and only see a handful of cars.

In recent years there has been a resurgence of the mining industry near Mt Perry so there will be some traffic but i did it as part of the Bicycle Qld event in 2010 and it was a very pleasant distance.

There is a main road from Bundaberg to Gin Gin, reasonable shoulders but would be rather busy with fast moving cars and trucks.
The minor road via Bingera was used for the 2010 event and would probably be safer but is also longer and rough and lumpy in parts.

Overall, there might be other parts of Queensland more suited to what you want to do.

Scotness

Re: can you suggest any good rides around Maryborough/Bundab

Postby Scotness » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Elantra thanks for your info - I'll cross check it with a map and what I've been thinking about the area.

My son will be on his own bike, the reason why I chose this area is I want something a little different and interesting - yet not too hilly or flat. I think all the interesting country in behind the Sunshine coast or Gold coast will be too hilly for him - and we did one a year ago around the Darling Downs which was great -

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =2&t=47944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but we feel a little like we've seen enough there for the moment

Anyway I'll keep researching :-)

Thanks for the tips
My new novel Shows So Fair out now!