Cycle path manners

Meesh

Cycle path manners

Postby Meesh » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 am

Good morning everyone,

I just wanted to say that although I'm not riding in a pack kitted out in matching lycra or riding the latest, snazziest bike, I have just as much right to ride to work as people (seems to be blokes mostly) who do ride in packs.

This morning I was cycling happily along up the hill towards Mt Lawley station (coming from Bayswater) and had moved out to the right to pass a jogger who was taking up quite a bit of the lane by jogging in the middle of it. As we were on a hill anyone coming up behind us would've easily been able to see us both and see what I was doing and be able to slow down until it was safe to pass. I was cycling slightly to the right of the middle of the path (nothing coming towards us) while I passed the jogger and then had three blokes in blue come up behind me ringing bells and telling me to move as people wanted to pass. Yeah, I get that, I was trying to pass the jogger.

Maybe my bike is a bit on the old and tatty side and rides like I'm riding through treacle but I like it. Perhaps it's not the coolest thing in the cycling world to have a basket but it quite handily holds my stuff. No, I'm not wearing lycra - I'm not riding in the Olympics. I don't hang out in the locker room or kitchen at work trying to impress people with my PB time.

I really enjoy my ride to work (usually) but rude people like the pack blokes that passed me this morning can take the shine off it a bit. Learn some effing manners and learn to share the bike path. If someone were driving a car and overtaking you would not then overtake the overtaker - or would you?? Have a bit of patience.

I completely stand by my out of breath utterance of "eff off, you tw*ts" as you passed me.

Cheers,
Meesh

eldavo

Re: Cycle path manners

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:10 pm

You got it wrong Meesh. The world revolves around them, not you. You should have been looking back with astro travel knowledge that they were approaching, and you should have been the one to slow down to let them pass first.
Get used to it, or get frustrated =D

zozza

Postby zozza » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:21 pm

I saw your bike in the Mr Bean movie. Three against one I'm afraid, don't be a lane hog :-P

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 pm

I wish they'd learn to hold their power going up 'climbs' ... guys, it's not really a climb, it's a hill and you need to be consistent.

That being said, I'd like to apologise for my behaviour yesterday, I shouldn't have been trying to break that Strava record... my bad

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Keep on enjoying your ride to work Meesh and don't be put off by those ignorant riders who treat the PSPs as training tracks.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm

blkmcs wrote:who treat the PSPs as training tracks.
Aren't they? :P

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:52 pm

I don't like anyone going crazy on paths and it doesn't matter the bike or the attire or the personality. I've been riding home from work complete with carbon bike, Lycra and backpack only to get a puncture. Of the 15 or so people who passed me, the 5 Lycra clad roadies without any trace of "commuter" stopped and asked if I was ok and needed a hand. The full on commuters were too busy beating their time home to even acknowledge me. I didn't think much of the pure commuters that night.

I think all cyclists are guilty of doing their best time at various times and can all be arrogant buggers - bike and attire are irrelevant.

Except me of course...and you :wink:

Meesh

Postby Meesh » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Crazies are not good anywhere.

I've only seen one person stopped by the side of the path so far and would've stopped to offer assistance but saw he was just messing with his ipod thing so continued on my panting way. Not sure I would be of much practical help to anyone with a puncture but always happy to offer moral support! :)

Cheers for listening to my little rant earlier. I will still love my ride to work and am looking forward to the ride home in this lovely weather!

Especially when I hit Bayswater train station and know it's not much further for me and my rusty old treacle bike to go!
:D

michaelp7757

Postby michaelp7757 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:46 pm

I agree with eldavo.

I always look over my shoulder for faster riders before overtaking a slower rider or pedestrian.

If a faster rider(s) are coming up behind me I slow down & let them overtake FIRST as this is by far the safest scenario for all parties.

When overtaking you are no longer holding a consistent line so checking for riders behind is common courtesy IMHO.

I do however agree that the reaction of these riders was unnecessary.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:08 pm

At the end of the day it's not too hard to drop the pace briefly to negotiate the obstacle. It will only cost seconds and if your best time is coming down to seconds you should be at the AIS and not on the PSP.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Sorry michael I thought I had enough sarcasm in my response for Meesh, but I guess I forgot the winking smiley face =P
While providing joking support to Meesh for better manners, like you I do personally look back knowing and only overtake if it is safe behind, as well as ahead.

About manners, I try to stick to silence if I don't have anything positive to say, negotiate traffic safely and keep my observations to myself.
The group of mums, kids, and prams, congregating at the path intersection of Carine Open space having a social chit chat with no signs of coming or going, all seemed bewildered while I was near track standing with horn honking as they slowly realised yes you are all blocking the path, yes it is a chunky curb and sand and posts all around, and yes it is a mother dunkin' shared path intersection to a car park, grab a clue. I managed to keep the hulk inside though and waited for them to make some room and letting the psychotic thoughts of bloody mass murder pass quietly as I got rolling again.

Worlds of slow and fast will collide, but it is manners that keep society from falling into random violence.

Meesh

Postby Meesh » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:57 pm

eldavo wrote: Worlds of slow and fast will collide, but it is manners that keep society from falling into random violence.
Totally agree.

And yep, I picked up on your sarcasm earlier. :)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:11 pm

michaelp7757 wrote:When overtaking you are no longer holding a consistent line so checking for riders behind is common courtesy IMHO.
Wel, if you rely on that I'll see you in emergency.

It might be "courteous" but it's the responsibilty of the person behind to not rear end anyone (there's plenty of case law out there).

And a hand extended is as likely to be "I'm changing lanes" (as per road rules) as it's "pass me" (as per peleton etiquette).

Be very careful (and understanding)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Never a pleasant experience but a lot less dangerous than if they were driving their pajeros at the time.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:48 pm

On cycling manners, cyclist with bright lights ADJUST them to point at the path you are ridding on,
blinding other ridders is just stupid and dangerous !!
end rant:
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:17 pm

I had a very similar experience to Meesh today. There was a pedestrian in the same lane and an oncoming cyclist preventing me from getting around the pedestrian correctly. So I slowed down behind the pedestrian and passed at the first opportunity, ie once the oncoming cyclist was through. In the meantime I had seen three cyclists coming up behind me in the mirror so I was aware they were there. But I was very surprised when they screamed passed me as I was pulling in from overtaking the pedestrian - so they were well out in the oncoming lane - which is fine except there was a pedestrian coming the other way and frankly there wasn't enough room to pass safely. Especially not at the speeds they were doing.

The pedestrians have just as much right to be on the path and be passed with a decent berth, not by millimetres.

PSP doesn't stand for Particularly Selfish Peddlers!

redned

Postby redned » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 pm

While I agree with many of the sentiments expressed, I think that sometimes we forget that cyclists are just a cross section of society that happen to have a penchant for cycling. Go to any other situation where people interact and you will see the same range of behaviour: some people thoughtful and courteous, others self-centred and rude. Cars on the freeway, queues at the airport, shopping centres. I just try and keep myself safe (and if we are all doing that to a degree, we will all be safe) and don't stress over the things that I can't change.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Sprocket wrote:I had a very similar experience to Meesh today. There was a pedestrian in the same lane and an oncoming cyclist preventing me from getting around the pedestrian correctly. So I slowed down behind the pedestrian and passed at the first opportunity, ie once the oncoming cyclist was through. In the meantime I had seen three cyclists coming up behind me in the mirror so I was aware they were there. But I was very surprised when they screamed passed me as I was pulling in from overtaking the pedestrian - so they were well out in the oncoming lane - which is fine except there was a pedestrian coming the other way and frankly there wasn't enough room to pass safely. Especially not at the speeds they were doing.
I experience this just about every day. Only difference is it no longer surprises me and I've come to expect and anticipate it. I think they take a big risk to expect the same of many pedestrians, though.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Actually I experience it quite a lot as well. I guess I was just more aware of it this morning after reading Meesh's account and it got me thinking that we shouldn't just be saying "it's okay, it happens all the time". Things don't change if we have an attitude like that. That said, there is nothing I can do to change the behaviour of the losers this morning and I somehow doubt they would be on the BNA forum. :)

Meesh

Postby Meesh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 pm

I've even had one of the pack losers tell me to get off the path when I was cycling normally on the left hand side of the correct lane as they passed me! Just dismissed that chap as a particularly loser-ish loser :)

Had an absolutely glorious ride in this morning though! No wallies to be seen, beautiful sunshine, gorgeous flower scents all along the way - loved it!!

:D

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Same thing happened to me yesterday, there i was cycling up west coast hwy staying to the left of my lane when a bloke passing me blurted out some nonsense. Now I was on the road staying clear of slower cyclists and pedestrians, and the person blurting was in a car "Bike lane is over there" he said as he passed. Now the reason i ride on the road is that my speeds 40-50km/h(specifically along west coast hwy with a good tail wind) is far too dangerous to be amongst slower riders and pedestrians.

Doesn't matter where you are riding, if someone thinks they are bigger and/or stronger than you are they will take advantage of that fact, think growing a thicker skin for some may help or the HTFU approach.

I'm not advocating that the cyclists harrasing behaviour wasn't wrong, but at the end of the day some people are just w*#kers regardless of what they are riding/driving/

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:23 pm

I also found yesterday there was a very high proportion of morons on bikes. May have been something to do with ride to work day, last year was the same. In contrast the ride today was perfect, a dozen (if that) other riders and no one was out for a free breakfast.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 pm

As a bicycle rider you are responsible for the traffic in front of you.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

quokkacol

Postby quokkacol » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Hello fellow riders. I wonder whether there should be a signal for when a rider is about to spit.

I was happily riding behind another rider this morning along the freeway PSP, when he sat up and spat. Spray hit my face. This wasn't a pleasant experience. He was an experienced rider, as he signals when changing lane, signal when slowing down.

I know there isn't an standard as far as I can tell for telling fellow rider behind you that you are about to spit, so I rode beside him when safe to do so, and gently suggested that 'it would be good if he can spit a little lower.' Just a suggestion, not in any angry tone. I then rode off in front.

It would probably be another 7km before he overtook me and then shouted I shouldn't ride so close to him. Obviously defiant and not willing to consider what I was suggesting.

I admit I was about 3 m behind him when the spit happened. I felt I was at a safe drafting distance, and I continuously looked ahead so that I can see his signal and the road ahead and brake in timely manner.

However even if I was further back than that, when traveling at 34kph with some blowing wind, if he sat up to spit like he did, I'm pretty sure I would still have been spat on.

I don't know if he was unhappy I was drafting him (that's another topic), but this is a shared path and you just have to get used to people drafting, as long as they allow themselves enough time to brake and as long as the rider in front knows to signal which this guy seems to. So I don't know if he did it on purpose. I didn't think so, and that's why I decide to kindly made a suggestion to him.

I have seen other riders who are so considerate that they lean down to spit. Others change lane to the other side to spit. I personally swallow my spit as I think it's disgusting to spit in public. However, for those that do spit, do we think there should be some sort of signal (if there are riders behind) that allows trailing riders to pass to the right safely or increase the gap to avoid the flying phlegm?

I think the majority of riders are very considerate and with enough agreement in a common solution, everybody might end up adopting a standard that works?

Just a thought on etiquette.

Karati

Postby Karati » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:29 pm

quokkacol wrote: I was happily riding behind another rider this morning along the freeway PSP, when he sat up and spat. Spray hit my face.
quokkacol wrote:I don't know if he was unhappy I was drafting him (that's another topic), but this is a shared path and you just have to get used to people drafting, as long as they allow themselves enough time to brake and as long as the rider in front knows to signal which this guy seems to.
I think you are in the wrong here. If you snuck up and sat on and he didn't know you were there then it's pretty much just your bad luck.

It's happened a few times to me that someone gets on your wheel and doesn't say anything and when you do notice it scares the crap out of you. I don't mind people tagging on and having a bit of a race generally but at least say something when you get on.

Having said that common courtesy would say if your going to spit or snot rocket have a quick check around first.