Bike Computer

TZ2102

Bike Computer

Postby TZ2102 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi,

I wanna keep track of my performance so I need a bike computer.

I downloaded the STRAVA APP which is pretty good - do you think I need a cateye - and which 1 would you get (dont want to spend sooo much).

jzr

Re: Bike Computer

Postby jzr » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 am

There have been a few threads like this - if you do a search you'll find some good info.

However, if you have Strava, I'm assuming you have a smartphone. What I used to do until I got a Garmin Edge 500 was have the smartphone in the jersey pocket with Strava on recording all of its data and then just had a cheap ($30 or so) Cateye speedo/odometer in front of me. It was cheap because it was wired - if you can get cheap and wireless then that may be better.

If you go to all of the usual bicycle accessory sites and search for computers you'll get some reviews on the individual products that might help.

The only thing you miss is cadence but you don't know what you don't know so unless you're right into it and that stat means something to you then it won't matter.

JustJames

Re: Bike Computer

Postby JustJames » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:20 am

As a counter to jzr's post, I'm a big believer in having cadence info.

If you're going to bother with any info at all, that is. For the last two years or so I've been subscribing to the "just ride" approach.

Having a bike computer and not having cadence strikes me as a waste of time, money and effort for the simple reason that cadence is the one variable you have some control over (via the gears) while you are riding. And once you work out what cadence range works for you, it's nice to have cadence displayed so you can ride to it.

Speed? You're either going as fast as you can or you're riding at the group's speed.

Distance? Looks after itself.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;