How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

familyguy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:02 pm

2nd day of the week, 2nd bike commute. An aborted start yesterday with a skipping chain 500m from home forced a bike change to the steel roadie, so I rode the carbon roadie today to give the legs any assistance I possibly can. First world problems...

Jim

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Nice fast (for me) ride home last night - partly to outrun a maggie who buzzed my shoulder at terminal velocity. Perth Kwinana PSP detourers FYI, the Broadhurst Ave Barnstormer is back in action! Late out of the blocks this morning, but nice windless cruise in.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Lizzy wrote:Nice fast (for me) ride home last night - partly to outrun a maggie who buzzed my shoulder at terminal velocity. Perth Kwinana PSP detourers FYI, the Broadhurst Ave Barnstormer is back in action! Late out of the blocks this morning, but nice windless cruise in.
Yep, I've gotten buzzed by it a couple times in the past week. I'm not exactly sure how close it gets, but no contact so it hasn't done much but scare the hell out of me. I'm thinking of turning the camera on the helmet backwards, to see if I can get video of it swooping in from behind. :)

On the plus side, the road works on Urbahns Crescent are finally done, so that alternate detour across South St isn't such a pain to get to. Was pretty annoying to spend the past month adding another block or two onto to the detour to go around the tunnel work they were doing.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:18 pm

jasonc wrote:so the shorter stem seems to be good, except now I've loosened my headset by the look of it - anyone got an 8mm allen key - otherwise no KOM smashing for this arvo
Hi mate... when you flip the stem or move the spacers you have to re-tighten the headset. There is a procedure for it. Not hard but you have to know how to do it. Let me know if you're having issues.

Don't overtighten or you might have issues steering. :shock:

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:so the shorter stem seems to be good, except now I've loosened my headset by the look of it - anyone got an 8mm allen key - otherwise no KOM smashing for this arvo
Hi mate... when you flip the stem or move the spacers you have to re-tighten the headset. There is a procedure for it. Not hard but you have to know how to do it. Let me know if you're having issues.

That is concerning. I double or triple check my steering and brake work, and carry all the relevant tools for the first couple of day after changing anything.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Marto wrote:
Comedian wrote:

That is concerning. I double or triple check my steering and brake work, and carry all the relevant tools for the first couple of day after changing anything.
He's uploaded a bucket of PR's to strava so he must be still alive. :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 pm

ok - headstem update:

so the problem was due to the new stem. the headstem height of the stem was shorter than the original.
by fluke i had a spare spacer

spacer installed. headset play gone :D

now.... where were those KOMs

btw - good ride home - just couldn't help myself - that bike of mine is quick

EDIT: worth noting that the play was only when you slammed on the brakes - it was such a minimal difference in height that I didn't notice it last night.

thanks for all the advice and guidance

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:59 pm

TailWind wrote:Windy In Melbourne for the ride back.
Cool but problem free ride into the CBD this morning.
Windy would be an understatement, just about got blown off the bike on the way home along the beach. Plenty of riders struggling with the wind gusts, very hard to keep it straight in those conditions. Oh yeah, it rained too :(

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:20 am

ride to work day today - lugged in a load of stuff. perfect weather. free brekky. what more could you ask for?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:50 am

Ride home via MYT/Darebin Creek Trail. The first 10kms where in relatively calm conditions, but as I hit the hills on Yarra Boulevard, the wind turned into a crazily gusting northerly headwind, making the next 30km a bit of a slog with a faceful of leaves, pollen, insects etc.
Clear but chilly start this morning for the ride into the CBD. Missed all of the ride-to-work day activities due to the early hour of my commute.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 am

Yep windy in Sydney too. I noticed on the ride in that my seat seemed to have dropped a bit. Raised it back about 1 cm & woo hoo, I was impressed with how much of an improvement it was. Suddenly I was back spinning like a cyclist again. Average speed still sucked but importantly it sucked less than it has for the last couple of weeks.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:26 am

First ride in since Thursday last week. Been layed up with illness... chest, throat, sinus, head, etc... the usual manflu stuff.

Came in this morning the short way... approx 12km. Lungs were burning, coughing and spluttering. Exhausted when I arrived. I knew it was going to hurt. Hope it doesn't take too long to recover.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Happy Ride to Work Day everyone :D

Left a half hour or so earlier than usual to help set up the R2W breakfast at my workplace and I've nevaar seen the paths so busy - lost count almost immediately, warmed the cockles of my heart! No joke, when I crossed over at Leech there were at least a dozen bikes stacked up waiting.

Lovely weather for it too, loaded up on the free breakky and snagged a couple of handy prizes, w00t!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Lizzy wrote:Happy Ride to Work Day everyone :D

Left a half hour or so earlier than usual to help set up the R2W breakfast at my workplace and I've nevaar seen the paths so busy - lost count almost immediately, warmed the cockles of my heart! No joke, when I crossed over at Leech there were at least a dozen bikes stacked up waiting.

Lovely weather for it too, loaded up on the free breakky and snagged a couple of handy prizes, w00t!
Very busy in Sydney too. It was very difficult to pass on the Harbour Bridge this morning due to the amount of cycle traffic! Cage traffic was just as bad as yesterday!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:59 pm

I didn't even know it was ride to work day, lucky I ride every day*.

*well, most days but I did ride today.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Brilliant commutes both ways with a PB on the way home (of my current non-M2 motorway route). Fitness is coming back :)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:48 pm

cruised home with a few workmates.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Bonked halfway home. And even though I've had dinner and 2 hours have passed, I still feel bonked.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Hrm. In the morning I got rear-ended by a roady travelling too close and too fast behind me. I had to slow down for some peds and couldn't overtake as there was a bike incoming. Broke two spokes and put the wheel out of true. Was wearing my Hero 2, but the footage is boring. Guy was apologetic about it, and I should have made it clear that I couldn't overtake. Such is life. Now I have to find a replacement spoke nipple as one of them was snapped in half.

In the afternoon, limping home with a wobbly wheel and no rear brakes, I had a guy squeeze past me at speed while I was already in the outside lane overtaking a pedestrian. Colourful language was used on this occasion, although I prefer being dangerously overtaken to being crashed into from behind.

So many dangerous speed demons out there. I feel like I am already becoming that ranting old man because of all these guys trying to beat PBs etc during peak hour with peds, prams, animals etc all on the paths at the same time. People need to SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY THE RIDE when the paths are busy.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Perth:

The weather was again brilliantly stil on the way in.

I did my first workday ride with the giraffe today. (Thanks BWA brekky for the invite.) Which meant that I only did a partial morning ride in.

But when I toted up the overall distance for the day I actually had managed a decent distance, considering. (google maps as I do not have meter on the giraffe).

Not keen to replace my regular ride with it though.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Rode to work for the first time since moving to Sydney. Nearly got hit on a crossing along Epping rd and clip stacked on Wicks Rd intersection in front of about 4000 cars. Driver didn't stop. No damage to me or the bike though.

Welcome to Syds eh!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Todays commute was Home to Ride2Work Brekky then work, after work ride to a bar to met up with friends and catch train home. Even with a semi secure place to lock bike right outside door of bar, I was not going to ride race bike, poseur bike or training bike, so it was singlespeed.

Great day to ride, calm when I left home, picked up mild tailwind on way in. Don't know if it was that I was 45 minutes earlier than usually or ride2work day but lots more riders than usual out and in both directions.

Still nobody to play with , I chased down a few riders, but everyone happy to cruise at their own speed, which was slower than mine. Sitting just below race pace HR for the PSP sections.

Got brekky in Melville and headed into city, got passed by somebody my age riding a nice Bianchi, I had not warmed up from brekky stop, so sat in behind. The traffic on the Canning to Narrows Bridge PSP was heavy, with people heading into the city, plus big groups heading out after their ride to work brekky in the city. So we slowed and accelerated many times, each time accompanied by the clattering of gear changes from the bike behind.

By the time I warmed up, we were approaching the CBD, so I thanked the guy who did the work on the front and apologised for not doing my turn, as I did not really warm up after the brekky stop and we part ways. I then saw the guy who was behind me, a young (well 20 something) on a flat bar, who looked like he just finished a race, red faced, dripping sweat. While the two blokes twice his age on the front, looked they the just warmed uo for a race.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:12 am

riverloop commute to bring up 10000kms for the year (not bad considering I was aiming for 7k)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 am

Multi-hop commute back to pick up an iPhone 5 in Ivanhoe. Stopped at the local for my weekly catch-up there, was phoned by the store and informed that our favourite Telco had inadvertently swapped the wife's number to the new SIM in the iPhone 5 :( . Had to then race home to give her the new phone as her SIM was now deactivated and the new Micro-SIM is not compatible with the older phones.
Ride in this morning had a creature-feature. A fox was snacking on something in the middle of Cheddar Rd near Thomastown, standing right on the center lines. Whistled at him, but he didn't flinch, and apparently wasn't worried by passing cars either.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 am

jasonc wrote:riverloop commute to bring up 10000kms for the year (not bad considering I was aiming for 7k)
Not very good at aiming are you, he says with more than a hint of jealousy. I suppose I should say congratulations