Routes to Cervantes

damonik

Routes to Cervantes

Postby damonik » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi all,
Thinking I might ride to a friends place in Cervantes this weekend - has anyone got some suggestions on a low traffic route that avoids Wanneroo Road? between Perth and Lancelin? I'd really like to avoid dying on that road if at all possible ;)

Damo
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

damonik

Re: Routes to Cervantes

Postby damonik » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:52 pm

This is the route I've planned so far - however I'm not real keen on the Two Rocks -> Lancelin section .. however I can't see any way around taking that section.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/perth-to-cervantes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Just out of interest: how many days are you expecting to take for the 220km ride?

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Just out of interest: how many days are you expecting to take for the 220km ride?

damonik

Postby damonik » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:21 am

I expect to leave first thing and be there about 8-9 hours later mate.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 am

damonik wrote:This is the route I've planned so far - however I'm not real keen on the Two Rocks -> Lancelin section .. however I can't see any way around taking that section.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/perth-to-cervantes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Personally I value my life too much to ride this section if at all possible. Regretfully the options (e.g,via Military Road, Cowalla Road) are going to to be much longer.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:12 am

enduro2 wrote:Just out of interest: how many days are you expecting to take for the 220km ride?
I think you need to get into Audax ... 200 km is a day ride :)

Andrew

damonik

Postby damonik » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Personally I value my life too much to ride this section if at all possible. Regretfully the options (e.g,via Military Road, Cowalla Road) are going to to be much longer.

Andrew
Agreed.

Wouldn't it be nice if local government had thought of including cyclists in the Indian Ocean drive development? - would be a lovely place to ride.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:06 pm

damonik wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Agreed.

Wouldn't it be nice if local government had thought of including cyclists in the Indian Ocean drive development? - would be a lovely place to ride.
The section you are considering riding (well through to Lancelin) is now the Indian Ocean Drive (they changed the road name) but they haven't done any development of it. It is only north of Lancelin that is new and that section has a shoulder. That new section would be okay to road if you can put up with all the traffic. At least you don't get trucks like you get on Brand Highway.

Andrew

ikm

Postby ikm » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:12 pm

I've been thinking of doing similar. It would be really nice to ride, but after driving that road a lot, I'm really not keen.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:23 pm

Drove the Indian Ocean Drive to Geraldton over the weekend and you'd be taking your life in your hands riding it.
Saw two bikes loaded up at the northern end heading south, obviously braver souls than I.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

exadios

Postby exadios » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Pravda wrote:Drove the Indian Ocean Drive to Geraldton over the weekend and you'd be taking your life in your hands riding it.
Saw two bikes loaded up at the northern end heading south, obviously braver souls than I.
I have ridden down the Brand Highway which I consider to be safer than the north section of Indian Ocean. There is very little tourist traffic on Brand and visibility is good. The only thing is that its a boring route.