Fulcrum Zero Racing 2 way fit wheelset

danny.nguyen

Fulcrum Zero Racing 2 way fit wheelset

Postby danny.nguyen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi guys/gals,

Can anyone tell me if I purchased those wheelset, then I won't need sealant because Fulcrum claim that it doesn't need them. I'm planning the switch to tubeless.

Thanks,

Dan

toolonglegs

Re: Fulcrum Zero Racing 2 way fit wheelset

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:02 pm

You don't need sealant with any tubeless tyre usually... but it is needed if you get a puncture to seal up the hole.
So it is up to you if you put sealant in or not... but for the extra weight of 30mls of sealant it is probably worth it if you are going to run tubeless.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:00 pm

danny.nguyen wrote:Hi guys/gals,

Can anyone tell me if I purchased those wheelset, then I won't need sealant because Fulcrum claim that it doesn't need them. I'm planning the switch to tubeless.

Thanks,

Dan
Tubeless is pretty pointless if you don't run some sealant in there.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

danny.nguyen

Postby danny.nguyen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 am

Then I'm confused by Fulcrum's claim from their website saying that the tubeless wheels are sealed?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 am

danny.nguyen wrote:Then I'm confused by Fulcrum's claim from their website saying that the tubeless wheels are sealed?
If you have a "tubeless compatible" wheel, you don't need the liquid sealant for the tyre to seal. However if you don't use the sealant and you get a small hole in the tyre it will go flat.

The sealant in the tyre will (hopefully) seal any small holes preventing a flat tyre. For most riders this is the reason they look to tubeless, to reduce punctures - without sealant you won't get that benefit.

For me, using better quality normal tube tyres is my preferred solution of reducing punctures rather than tubeless but you'll find pleanty of happy people from both camps.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:59 am

danny.nguyen wrote:Then I'm confused by Fulcrum's claim from their website saying that the tubeless wheels are sealed?
I think when Fulcrum state their wheels are "sealed" they mean there are no spoke holes that need blocking off compared to a standard rim, hence "tubeless compatible". You don't usually need sealant to fit a tubeless tyre to any rim, but you may have to use special tape to block off the spoke holes first.

danny.nguyen

Postby danny.nguyen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 am

jacks1071 wrote:
If you have a "tubeless compatible" wheel, you don't need the liquid sealant for the tyre to seal. However if you don't use the sealant and you get a small hole in the tyre it will go flat.

The sealant in the tyre will (hopefully) seal any small holes preventing a flat tyre. For most riders this is the reason they look to tubeless, to reduce punctures - without sealant you won't get that benefit.

For me, using better quality normal tube tyres is my preferred solution of reducing punctures rather than tubeless but you'll find pleanty of happy people from both camps.
Can you recommend me the best quality tube? I'm so sick of getting flat in the middle of the night!!! Luckily I got a taxi so I could get home!

danny.nguyen

Postby danny.nguyen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:37 am

toolonglegs wrote:
I think when Fulcrum state their wheels are "sealed" they mean there are no spoke holes that need blocking off compared to a standard rim, hence "tubeless compatible". You don't usually need sealant to fit a tubeless tyre to any rim, but you may have to use special tape to block off the spoke holes first.
Ah I see. Thanks for explaining more clearly about it.

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:04 am

Can you recommend me the best quality tube? I'm so sick of getting flat in the middle of the night!!! Luckily I got a taxi so I could get home!
have you thought about carrying a spare tube? :shock:

danny.nguyen

Postby danny.nguyen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 am

TimW wrote:
have you thought about carrying a spare tube? :shock:
Yeah I did as always but I realised the pump with the value gone missing, hence I was struck in the middle of the night, luckily, there was a tennis centre nearby where I went to see old friends.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:23 am

Use a tyre like Continental Gatorskin and any tube the bike shop recommends should solve your puncture problems. If your rim tape is old or stretched maybe consider installing fresh tape at the sametime then you can forget about it for a good while.

danny.nguyen

Postby danny.nguyen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:30 am

jacks1071 wrote:Use a tyre like Continental Gatorskin and any tube the bike shop recommends should solve your puncture problems. If your rim tape is old or stretched maybe consider installing fresh tape at the sametime then you can forget about it for a good while.
Yeah I have one called 4000GP All season tyres.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:16 pm

danny.nguyen wrote:Yeah I have one called 4000GP All season tyres.
Please understand that some tyres are much more puncture resistant than others.

I've not used GP4000 although I understand they are alright. A Gatorskin will be more puncture resistant.

danny.nguyen

Postby danny.nguyen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:20 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
danny.nguyen wrote:Yeah I have one called 4000GP All season tyres.
Please understand that some tyres are much more puncture resistant than others.

I've not used GP4000 although I understand they are alright. A Gatorskin will be more puncture resistant.
I will have a go when mine will wear eventually.

danny.nguyen

Postby danny.nguyen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Sorry it was actually Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Folding Road Tyres and tube set

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:59 pm

As far as I'm aware the GP4 seasons are more puncture protective than the GP4000's. They're not touring tyres but in my experience they're pretty good, I've ridden maybe a combined total of 3000km on two sets (25c on my road bike now on my fixie and 28c on my commuter bike) and the only 'puncture' I got was an enormous tyre-wrecking gash from riding over half a shattered beer bottle.

I'm also riding with the conti force-attack combo on my race wheels and schwalbe ultremo ZX on my road training wheels and they've both been puncture free so far too but they haven't done that many km. Coincidentally I really love the ultremo ZX's, I thought they'd be more puncture prone (and they may well be) but they're fantastically fast and feel great to ride. I went with a 25c on the rear tyre for comfort and durability and a 23c on the front for aerodynamics (like it actually makes a difference).

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Durano Plus with a layer of tyre liners works for me.

However flats are simply part of cycling and its something you'll just have to accept. Some are luckier than others :wink:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01