Building a Cycling Fitness Centre in my Spare Room :)

adrian_d

Building a Cycling Fitness Centre in my Spare Room :)

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:19 am

Hey all,
I have been given a spare room in our house and I wanted to make it a Fitness Room. I tend to get motivated from being in a certain atmosphere (gets me pedalling faster and i'm more likely to train if i'm in the zone).

I have my track bike on the fluid trainer at the moment on the side of the room, but i'm thinking of getting a screen installed with a led projector so I can watch stuff while cycling (most likely other cycling events lol)

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good posters and memoriabilia that could really set the room off?

I was thinking of keeping my commerative jerseys/participation medals in a frame, I guess you could call it a pool room.

I've got speakers all around the corners of the room so music is definitely covered. :)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

greyhoundtom

Re: Building a Cycling Fitness Centre in my Spare Room :)

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:27 am

adrian_d wrote:Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good posters and memoriabilia that could really set the room off?
Pick a cyclist to follow :D .........preferably one not on PED's :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:57 pm

DEFINITELY have some kind of telly in there, trainers are damn boring otherwise.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:08 pm

+1 to the screen you need something to watch.

Also, Not that these are inspirational, but they make things a little easier on the old trainer:
- get a big fan(if you haven't already), better to keep yourself cool on the indoor trainer
- don't put any form of clock in the room, or make it non visible to you while you are on the bike, time drags when you can see a clock.

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:53 pm

A good fan or two to keep you cool is a must, and something under your bike trainer to catch sweat if the room is carpeted.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm

My Lance memoriabilia maybe going cheap since I've been thinking about burning it.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:12 pm

If you really want to get serious get a Computrainer (?). Dual screens, one with biometrics and the other with bunch rides which control the trainer resistance. If you want to get really serious, hook up a couple more trainers and do bunch rides with your friends. Not cheap but awesome!

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Sometime you see a topic title, and before you eye flicks across to the right, you just know who posted it. :lol:
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote: - get a big fan(if you haven't already), better to keep yourself cool on the indoor trainer
Oh yea forgot that one, the first time i used a stationary trainer i couldn't believe how much i was sweating!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
Pick a cyclist to follow :D .........preferably one not on PED's :wink:
Picking a cyclist to follow is a great idea, especially the fast ones. :D (only I mean real ones who are actually riding a bike). I had great fun yesterday doing exactly that and leading someone else for a while. Apologies to the guy on the Giant, my knee was still giving me a bit of pain - otherwise I'd have kept going for longer because it was very satisfying.

Oh, and those stationary trainers, get a nice easy to clean surface to put them on, you'll being pouring with sweat, believe me. Get a big fan as well or you'll be boiling hot. You'll get a sore backside quickly with those things too. :roll: The trainer is the perfect motivation to go out and ride properly. :lol: Mine does little more than serve as a bike stand. :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 am

Oxford wrote:be careful watching videos of mountain descents if on rollers, its hurts when you lean into a corner on rollers. :oops:
Is it bad karma that I splattered the monitor with Makers Mark? :lol: :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:44 am

Makers Mark. Is that some new kind of sports drink? :lol:

munga

Postby munga » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:21 am

sozzling is the new golf.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:38 am

goneriding wrote:If you really want to get serious get a Computrainer (?). Dual screens, one with biometrics and the other with bunch rides which control the trainer resistance. If you want to get really serious, hook up a couple more trainers and do bunch rides with your friends. Not cheap but awesome!
I hope tongue was planted in cheek here, I was under the impression that bunch rides were about getting out.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 am

hahaha all very interesting suggestions thanks :)

I did chuck in the 42" LCD tv, media centre, and a set of bluetooth headphones and put the trainer in the center of the room. I was watching tron yesterday, not quite cycling orientated but close enough haha. That music is inspirational and then some.

I may have pretended to be a user in the tron world during this training session :(
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:54 am

bychosis wrote:
goneriding wrote:If you really want to get serious get a Computrainer (?). Dual screens, one with biometrics and the other with bunch rides which control the trainer resistance. If you want to get really serious, hook up a couple more trainers and do bunch rides with your friends. Not cheap but awesome!
I hope tongue was planted in cheek here, I was under the impression that bunch rides were about getting out.
Go see the people in Athlete Lab in Loftus Street Sydney, a whole heap of them sweating away cranking those pedals on the Computrainers with some blasting music playing. They do have their uses I'm sure... :lol:

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:24 am

wizardhat wrote:A good fan or two to keep you cool is a must, and something under your bike trainer to catch sweat if the room is carpeted.
A good fan as in a groupie? good idea :)

A tacx virtual trainer is on my wishlist.. cycling through the alps competing against people around the world, from the comfort of the living room would be awesome!

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 am

vbplease wrote: A good fan as in a groupie? good idea :)
Get the real TDF experience, get some mates dressed up in Mankinis and Devils out fits and have them yell, run along side you and nearly knock you off the bike :P

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:48 pm

A tacx virtual trainer is on my wishlist.. cycling through the alps competing against people around the world, from the comfort of the living room would be awesome
My bike/computer room has a Tacx Fortius Multiplayer trainer with dedicated LCD TV
two pedestal fans, rubber mat under steel framed training bike, with a Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub (minimal wear: 1/8" chain and straight chainline) and a recovered Brooks leather saddle. Streamed internet radio.
Life is good.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:51 pm

I've got speakers all around the corners of the room so music is definitely covered. :)
Depending on who else is around I would recommend head phones instead of speakers. With a turbo going and a fan cranking hearing anything over the top of it is hard, especially if you are trying to stay at a reasonable sound level for those around you.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Don't forget the fridge, a sharpie, a calendar, a coat hanger and some duct tape. Also, an empty coke can.

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:05 am

On the topic of cycling footage, rather than a tv, find a pair of those video goggles and spend an hour or six in a peloton somewhere in the middle of France.
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins