Livestrong gear - now less likely to wear?

sogood

Re: Livestrong gear - now less likely to wear?

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:That Livestrong is a PR machine is not in doubt. It's a very, very clever piece of social engineering. I dread to think what LA would do if he went in to politics.
LA doesn't count compared to what US political machines have produced through the decades. A fellow Texan comes to mind.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
AndyTheMan wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:I'm thinking about asking oakley to send me some new bits for my jawbones. Yep in livestrong colours and want them gone

Funny, but only a fortnight ago (like a couple of days before the USADA 1000 page manifesto was posted online) I bought a pair of the Livestrong Oakley Jawbones...

The reason.... they were on mega-discount.

I think they were originally priced somewhere around $350. Got them for about $120 (wonder why.....??)

I needed a new pair of sunnies for running/cycling. came in a nice case, couple of pairs of lenses.

They still keep the sun out of my eyes and 99.9% of people wouldn't have a clue that they are the Armstrong ones
You could concider them Safe Cycling Australia colors. We've been pushing Oakley to pass some similar coloured sets our way for the supporters. It only ever seems like I'm on drugs.
Interesting to note that the day the USADA report was released publicly, Retirestrong donations reportedly increased by $60,000USD. Some will never get it. His biggest supporters are the least interested in wading through the evidence. Dunce hats.
Honestly, the term 'retirestrong' had me wetting myself....

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:13 pm

A large range of alternatives is available.

Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:35 pm

My wrist band for cyclists. Only $2.40 and includes free brocollini.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 pm

sogood wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:But Livestrong is first and foremost a PR machine. His linking of "cancer awareness" and the fraud of his performance is, IMO, despicable.
There are a lot more despicable behaviours on this planet, and this Livestrong can be seen as an attempt to payback the sins. Was it appropriate or successful? I guess this is where the argument lies at this point.
Hence the IMO.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Oxford wrote:I'm cynical enough to believe that LA may have even started the whole thing to boost his pubic image for some future gain
funny you should say that, in 1997 his agent is quoted as saying:

"Lance isn't just a cyclist anymore - because of the cancer, the Lance Armstrong brand has a much broader appeal," Stapleton said. "Our challenge is to leverage that now. He's on the verge of being a crossover-type spokesman. He could be just like an athlete who does a Pepsi or Gatorade commercial. If his comeback has success, we hope to take him to a Kodak or Sony and hope they will turn him into a corporate pitchman.

"We're really just beginning. In January and February people will realize that Lance is back on the bike. And once they realize it, that's when the marketing will pay off."

source: http://www.texnews.com/texas97/lance102797.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
inflammatory statement or idea

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:29 pm

ausrandoman wrote: Image
Why is Marco Pantani wearing this dossard ?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:38 am

Just an absolutely brilliant duel.............for some you may need to ignore the splash screen at the end of the footage.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q38Gyjv ... detailpage[/youtube]

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:41 am

Nike has dumped Drugstrong. It's all over.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:17 am

greyhoundtom wrote:Just an absolutely brilliant duel.............for some you may need to ignore the splash screen at the end of the footage.

It was brilliant then, but it just seems grotesque now.

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:02 am

I have a Livestrong jersey and I will continue to wear it, because at some time it meant something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONMBr8I ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by hazmat5765 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:13 am

sogood wrote:There are a lot more despicable behaviours on this planet.
Spot on!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:His linking of "cancer awareness" and the fraud of his performance is, IMO, despicable.
+1

Took peds pre cancer, then after benefitting from all of the great work from Doctors and researchers he risked his health and took peds post cancer, being a survivor wasn't enough for him. A slap in the face of all those fighting this insidious disease, whether they be Doctors, researchers or patients. And not discounting that he coerced others to risk their health by doing the same.
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Just an absolutely brilliant duel.............for some you may need to ignore the splash screen at the end of the footage.

Not sure the point you are trying to make by posting this up Tom ? Performances like this are exactly why the "haters" (as Lance called anyone who wouldn't blindly bow down to his greatness) started asking questions. There wasn't/isn't a clean athlete in the world who could offer Pantani that "gift".

Are you still filthy that your "hero" has been caught ?
FPR Ragamuffin

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Nike has dumped Drugstrong. It's all over.
Seems like they knew he was on the gear a very long time ago and no doubt have profited hugely from his sins.

I wonder how long the law suits will take when all the sponsors start trying to get their money back from Lance for breach of contract?

Lucky he can ride a bike, that maybe all he's left with when the solicitors are done.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Chuck wrote:

Not sure the point you are trying to make by posting this up Tom ? Performances like this are exactly why the "haters" (as Lance called anyone who wouldn't blindly bow down to his greatness) started asking questions. There wasn't/isn't a clean athlete in the world who could offer Pantani that "gift".

Sorry Chuck, I'm not sure what you are getting at :?

I posted that clip due to Marco Pantani winning that hill climb, beating Lance Armstrong, and looked at it more as PED's verses PED's

For further info on Marco Pantani see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Pantani

As far as LA being my hero is concerned............I have no hero's, LA was a professional cyclist who did whatever he believed he needed to do to win.
Unfortunately he is also obviously a very arrogant person that like many that receive adulation for one thing or another, started believing his own press releases, and in the process shot himself in both feet bigtime.

No for being the arrogant prawn that he is, he deserves everything he cops.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:14 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Sorry Chuck, I'm not sure what you are getting at :?

I posted that clip due to Marco Pantani winning that hill climb, beating Lance Armstrong, and looked at it more as PED's verses PED's

For further info on Marco Pantani see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Pantani

As far as LA being my hero is concerned............I have no hero's, LA was a professional cyclist who did whatever he believed he needed to do to win.
Unfortunately he is also obviously a very arrogant person that like many that receive adulation for one thing or another, started believing his own press releases, and in the process shot himself in both feet bigtime.

No for being the arrogant prawn that he is, he deserves everything he cops.
according to Hamilton, armstrong eased off and let Pantani take the victory as he felt he had shown him (Pantani) who was the strongest.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:40 pm

greyhoundtom wrote: Sorry Chuck, I'm not sure what you are getting at :?

Your first post....
A vendetta that has cost and is still costing a huge amount of money, and to what end?

The destruction of a hero’s reputation, and in the process the destruction of an organisation that has done a huge amount of good for cancer sufferers.

...........and if anyone believes that the pro circuit is now squeaky clean has their head up their backside.
....in this thread

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=53499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seemed a pretty passionate response to me :? And I thought that you posting up that video and calling it "brilliant" was a show of support ? If I'm wrong no offence meant.

And the use of the word hero ? Ok you did not say he was your hero but you did refer to him AS a hero, even in the wake of all this. Again I considered it a show of support ? Again I might be wrong.

If you posted up the video to say that it was an even playing field ? Well I think there has been enough evidence contained in the report to say no it wasn't.

There were a few others in the above mentioned thread who also took the view that this was a vendetta. I think it has been shown that USADA were willing to act where the UCI would not, for reasons as yet unexplained. The USADA have not been given anywhere near the credit it deserves for staying the course in the face much public and political pressure, they have my respect, for what it's worth.
FPR Ragamuffin

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Tyler Hamilton is my new hero. I'm even growing my hair so it looks like a mop.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Where do you draw the line with this???

Throw away your Trek bike now???

And don't forget that Mellow Johnny's kit that you have..... :roll:
Lisa

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:23 pm

[/quote]

For me the Tom Simpson memorial at 3:40 was darkly ironic...
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Jean wrote: It was brilliant then, but it just seems grotesque now.
And really sad.
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Isn't that a doper vs another doper? May the best dope win! Yes, very exciting for the spectators, the unsaid driver of money, sponsorship and drive to win at all cost.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:18 pm

marinmomma wrote:Where do you draw the line with this???

1. Don't really care - never followed Lance Armstrong.
2. No - that's sacred and the bike was expensive, I don't have loads of disposable income
3. Never owned that.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:29 pm

marinmomma wrote:Where do you draw the line with this???

Well, I've made my decision.

No more dating skinny blondes for me...and that's final!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;