Video Camera who uses one?

abas

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby abas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:Any sign of the new Sony Action Cam?
I found quite a few reviews / comparisons on YouTube today. Quite interesting as they compare the Sony and the Hero2 directly under the same conditions.

My money looks to be on the Sony as most I saw gave it a better picture under most conditions.

Hero 3 and new firmware may change things though.

Cost of the non-wifi model is also a bit better.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:11 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Image
Bummer. I only bought my Hero 2 a couple of months ago. The new Hero 3 looks awesome, but I won't be worrying about it.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Interesting comparing the three camera versions, white, silver and black ($US 199, 299, 399).

The top model up to 1440p, wonder what that means for the memory card.
Apart from resolution and shooting options it has better low light filming that the other models, and comes with a wifi remote, can't spot a wifibackpack so it is probably integrated - but need a closer look.
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Looks like going on gopro accessories, they are listing a 64GB sd card. Makes me think that at least one of the versions of the GoPro3 can take 64GB card
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:44 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Interesting comparing the three camera versions, white, silver and black ($US 199, 299, 399).

Apart from resolution and shooting options it has better low light filming that the other models, and comes with a wifi remote, can't spot a wifibackpack so it is probably integrated - but need a closer look.
All editions have wifi built in.

Sounds like GoPro made quite a few suckers including me into getting the wifi backpac and then release the Gopro 3 dead quitely. I wouldn't have gotten my wifi backpac if I knew that was coming.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 am

Baalzamon wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Interesting comparing the three camera versions, white, silver and black ($US 199, 299, 399).

All editions have wifi built in.

Sounds like GoPro made quite a few suckers including me into getting the wifi backpac and then release the Gopro 3 dead quitely. I wouldn't have gotten my wifi backpac if I knew that was coming.
The price you pay for getting the (apparent) latest and greatest in a rapidly developing scene. The new models looks pretty awesome.

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 am

elStado wrote:Bummer. I only bought my Hero 2 a couple of months ago. The new Hero 3 looks awesome, but I won't be worrying about it.
You and me both, I'll make do with the better codec for a while. 1080p (AT) 60fps is nice though - I might try to sell my Hero2 off as I still have all the packaging...

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:26 pm

wizardhat wrote:
elStado wrote:Bummer. I only bought my Hero 2 a couple of months ago. The new Hero 3 looks awesome, but I won't be worrying about it.
You and me both, I'll make do with the better codec for a while. 1080p (AT) 60fps is nice though - I might try to sell my Hero2 off as I still have all the packaging...
Just threw all my packing away last week.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:42 pm

On the wifi, the backback and remote are still useful for the US$199 and $299 versions I think, just don't need the backpack, but the remote is still handy.

For the $399 black version, agree - if you just purchased a wifi backpack that would be annoying - and the top cam is certainly interesting because of the quality that we want (but may not necessarily need).
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:08 am

elStado wrote:
wizardhat wrote:
Just threw all my packing away last week.
HAHA I keep packaging for resale :)
Still have my Garmin Edge 705 box somewhere

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:08 am

Baalzamon wrote:HAHA I keep packaging for resale :)
Still have my Garmin Edge 705 box somewhere
I usually keep mine for ~6 months for returns/resale. But I recently moved house and got rid of any excess stuff.

Looking forward to seeing some user footage from the Hero 3. Who want's to be first?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:15 pm

just did an interview with ch.7 news about helmet cams. will be interesting to see if they play it

fingy

Postby fingy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:04 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I was informed that the Sony Action Cam is going out to retailers already,
don't know if it is on the shelves yet.
I was at a Teds camera shop last week in brissy and they had them, they
are doing the bundle as an intro deal at $349 norm rrp is $399.
Think bundle included 2nd battery desktop charger for batt and
a mem card. rrp for cam only is $299.
Its a small cam didnt see it at first on the shelf ,sales guy pointed
it out to me :oops: says he has one and rates it

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:46 am

AUbicycles wrote:I was informed that the Sony Action Cam is going out to retailers already, don't know if it is on the shelves yet.
Also don't know how long until we can review.

Cheers
Christopher
Is this it?

This was really interesting too. Its really small.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:38 am

Some really nice features on the Hero3

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:45 am

got to have a look/play with the sony yesterday at work (workmate has one)

he got the weatherproof case and clip mount
footage looks good but the cost is well out of my price range

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:24 pm

The GoPro 3 looks like it will be the camera to beat, but unless you are going to use it for other purposes it and others like it are a lot to pay if you are only using it for cycling.

Although I have the original GoPro I only use it in the car nower days and I use the Jumbo's on the bikes. I like the jumbos because they cheap and are small and extremely easy to mount either up front or on the rear. The 720P footage is good enough to capture plates and anything else that is needed.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:17 pm

I like playing with my Gopro off the bike too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mrrggtg ... iSS9TpUQ_A[/youtube]

Thinking about the Hero3 as it has even more features.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:22 am

GraemeL wrote:The GoPro 3 looks like it will be the camera to beat, but unless you are going to use it for other purposes it and others like it are a lot to pay if you are only using it for cycling.

Although I have the original GoPro I only use it in the car nower days and I use the Jumbo's on the bikes. I like the jumbos because they cheap and are small and extremely easy to mount either up front or on the rear. The 720P footage is good enough to capture plates and anything else that is needed.

Graeme
+1 - it's on my xmas list

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:04 pm

norbs wrote:I wont be buying another GoPro. If they replace mine, all good, but I refuse to stump up another $300 to replace a camera that was destroyed because of their mount.
insurance claim?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:34 pm

You really need to scroll up Dr_Mutley
norbs wrote:

Good news on that front. This from the latest email...

Hi Todd,

We can replace everything (camera, battery, housing, and handlebar/seatpost mount) except for the SD card.

I just issued the sales order for your replacement items. It should ship out by the end of the day tomorrow and get to you in about a week or so.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Pretty happy with that. :)
Dr_Mutley wrote:
norbs wrote:I wont be buying another GoPro. If they replace mine, all good, but I refuse to stump up another $300 to replace a camera that was destroyed because of their mount.
insurance claim?

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Late yesterday, a Liquid Image EGO camera I ordered from eBay arrived, so thought I'd post a bit of a review about my early impressions.

In the past I have drooled over the quality of the GoPro range of sports cameras and have always considered them the benchmark. However, I have always come up short of funds to actually purchase one, and instead, have spent more than the purchase price of a GoPro on a number of cheap and nasty horrors that promise awesome imagery but only deliver dull and grainy videos.

Liquid Imaging's entry into the non aqua sports camera market interested me when it was initially released, and I patiently waited until the unit appeared locally on various online and ebay outlets to see what local pricing was going to be like. I eventually acquired my unit for $165 +$10 postage and considered that fairly reasonable and went ahead with the purchase. I really wanted a decent camera to take down to Victoria for my planned Rail Trail tour at the end of the year as well as the usual recording of dangerous motorist behaviours.

As you can see, the camera is not much bigger in physical size than a Garmin 500. Also pictured is the protective case that comes with it, and a random ear plug that somehow landed on my desk and got in my picture.

The camera can be basically controlled from the unit itself, in so far as switching on or off, selecting a mode (720p, 1080p or still pics), starting or stopping WiFi, and start /stop recording or taking still photos. The power of this unit is in its WiFi capabilities, where so many more of the cameras features are available.

In WiFi mode, the camera sets itself up as a wifi hotspot, and you use your Android or Apple smartphone to connect to it via an app called ActionConnect. Through this app you can use your phone as a live view viewfinder to see what up your camera captures, a whole host of settings (white balance, resolution, view angle,... ah, just look at the screen shot...

Anyway, features is features, and the a camera is only as good as the picture it takes. I dodgied up a quick mount and attached the camera, at a very slight list, to the handlebars of the commuter bike and took it for a run to the local shopping atrocity. When viewing the downloaded image, I was astonished at the clarity of the video, considering it was only recorded at the default setting of 720p. I was a little disappointed in what youtube did to it by the time it uploaded, until I compared it with an earlier video I uploaded from a Kaiser Baas contraption I once used. Still, youtubes you see taken from GoPro units appear to be much clearer but it is possible that they are uploaded at 1080? Once I finish the permanent mount, I'll experiment further, and upload a 1080 file for comparative purposes. But as mentioned, the images from the camera played on your computer (or through the mini HDMI to your TV) are superb. The coppers will be assuredly impressed when you show them the video of the bogan giving you a close shave.

Not sure if this is a standard feature of this class of camera, but when you record, it does a second lo-res copy of the video. This is for playback over the built in wifi connection to your smart phone, and is saved to a resolution to match a typical smart phone screen resolution. The specs call for a class 6 micro SD, but initially all I had laying around was a class two card. This seemed to work fine for the video (below) but would probably croak if you tried to do a 1080 job. I've since acquired a class 6 card, with which I will test out 1080 and report back in due course. In the mean time, here is the test Vid:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfqSMLyeYRw[/youtube]
Hmmm. previews suggest that embed doesn't work for me. The raw link is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfqSMLyeYRw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks Oxon, that looks pretty cool. any chance of a review once you've got things sorted? I gotta say your "dodgy" mount looks pretty good :D

Wonder if you could configure the device to function as a rear view mirror?... Hmmm.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:22 am

Mulger bill wrote:Thanks Oxon, that looks pretty cool. any chance of a review once you've got things sorted? I gotta say your "dodgy" mount looks pretty good :D

Wonder if you could configure the device to function as a rear view mirror?... Hmmm.
Yep, will do a 1080, probably somewhere more interesting than my local neighbourhood.

You definitely could set it up as a rear view mirror, but would be hell on your phone battery, assuming you could even see the screen in bright daylight. In that mode, you could snap off still images, but you can't record video at the same time.

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:30 am

That looks like a cracking little unit. Small and with good quality.
Going by your comments, the only downside might be the mounting options?
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!