2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Speedster

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby Speedster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm

wizdofaus wrote:The temperature is perfect, a light shower or two will get me no wetter than the sweat from a hot sunny day would, and if there really is a light wind blowing from the south west as I struggle back over the West Gate bridge for the last few km, I have to agree, pretty decent forecast! But Melbourne weather is of course nothing if not fickle...
I'm hoping the Mornington forecast is somewhat accurate, southwesterlies turning southerly after the 150km to Queenscliffe will be most welcome to push back to Melbourne :)

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:04 pm

rusteh wrote:Completed my second marathon on the weekend with a 20 minute PB and a time of 3:24:40 so happy with that, but far out I'm sore, hoping I can recover in time for Sunday...Not sure if I should take wet weather gear or not, if only light showers I'm thinking the space in my jersey pocket would be better used for extra food...
congrats on the pb

I am wondering the same thing, I think I have to take a rain jacket, dont want to be caught out getting wet early and then riding cold for another 6 hours

I might leave the booties and long finger gloves at home though
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

rusteh

Postby rusteh » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Another question...what are peoples thoughts on starting location. A few of my friends say they are going to start from South Melbourne as the crunch of people around the Alexandra gardens for the official start is too much which results in getting slowed down and queueing for ferry etc. Obviously the draw back in this strategy is that you miss out on an official start time.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 pm

I've borrowed a 6 litre cross-country backpack from my friend (who used this during Oxfam earlier this year).
I've removed the water bladder as I don't intend on using that so the bag is fairly small and unobtrusive but it means I can pack a heap of stuff (clothing and food).

I've taken it on a couple of training rides and it seems fine so I'll take my cold weather gear and if it gets too warm I can stop and stow it away and keep riding.

As for a starting point, isn't half the fun starting with the crowd and crossing the start line?
This is my 1st ATB ride so perhaps I'll change my mind after experiencing it for myself but I'm looking forward to being amongst the 1000's of riders all eager and raring to go....and I'll be more than happy to take it very easy at the beginning until the pack starts to thin out and then I'll get into a groove and go from there (which I anticipate will be somewhere between Beaconsfield Parade and Beach Road).

Either way I'm not looking forward to the very early wake up (4.15am) so I can leave home by 4.45am, arrive at work (in the CBD) by around 5.20am and then make my way to the starting area, to arrive around 5.45am, ready for an "alleged" 6.10am start.

Out of interest, is anyone planning to take a spare tyre or just spare tubes? I'm tossing up throwing in a spare tyre into the bottom of the backpack (just in case), along with 3 spare tubes and 4 CO2 cannisters...along with my bike pump that lives on the bike.

Not long to go now....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm

I am with you Dave.

This is my first ABD and I will be starting from the official spot, besides I am a 5:30 start and have to go through portarlington, so I will be back of the ferry queue anyway :D

I wont be donning a backpack though but I will be trying a few different outfits on saturday just to see how I feel. I am crashing the night at my mums in Malvern, so a gentle 10km ride to the start line, up at 4, out the door at 4:30 at the start line at 5

Its going to be a long day, hopefully not a really wet one :P
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:48 am

To say i'm nervous is an understatement.

My Worries Below ranked in order:

- Falling at 0-3km an hour while I am in the crowd pushing through the start line (wouldn't be good)
- Falling at the Intersections while I wait
- Falling at the Finishing Line (if I make it lol)
- Falling while falling
- Not drinking Enough
- Not being able to find a suitable "wee" spot to water the garden lmao
- Not eating enough
- Making a fool out of myself
- Making a fool out of myself while falling
- Having my jersey pants rip in front of someone
- Having something fail on my bike

hahaha

I have got better though, I should change my nickname to clumsy_basket lmao It has double meaning for those that know my "reputation" hahaha
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:54 am

slipsam wrote: I couldn't see anything on the website about parking. Any idea where the best place to park is? Is there any organised parking eg MCG or similar?
It's a Sunday, Bernie, so you can just park in one of the surrounding suburbs and ride to the start. I came in from Domain Road last year.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:03 pm

You'll be fine Adrian, don't worry.

The advice I have been given by a few friends who has done previous ATB rides is:
- don't assume those in front of you (or around you) know bunch ettiquette so keep some distance around you (with that distance dependant on how much you trust others around you).
In a pack, if one falls many will likely fall so pick your bunches wisely. Also other riders may not call obstacles so stay aware at all times and if you're following riders that don't do this let a gap grow or pass them.

- keep drinking often and make sure you refill as required (and take the opportunity for a toilet break whenever you can AND before you NEED to).

- go at your own pace. If the people you are riding with are too slow or too fast, pass or let them go ahead....remembering there are plenty of km's left to ride so don't burn out early. It is not a race.

- if you do come off your bike, look for oncoming riders BEFORE moving as most will try to manouvre around you to keep on going.
Don't assume everyone will stop to let you get up and out of the way.

- most of all, just try to enjoy the ride and the day in general.

My personal plan is to break the 210km ride up into four 50km rides:
Start to Frankston
Frankston to Sorrento
Sorrento to Frankston
Frankston to Finish line

After each I hope to refill water, take a toilet break and a quick stretch of the legs and back before departing on the next section.

And as for the weather, it will be what it will be so just be prepared accordingly. At this stage it isn't looking too bad and the southerlies predicted should help everyone on their return journeys back to the finish...which I'd much prefer than having a tailwind from the start when I'm feeling fresh. I don't think we'll see heavy rain so a shower or two won't be so bad - except for making the road slippery and stopping distances longer.

Dave

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I am a little worried about the bunches/groups.....especially being in a velomobile....so could be interesting, obviously I'll be slower climbing hills but then weeeeee......all the way down at high speed on descents......

If you see a white & red velomobile give me some room ;-) ta !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Endo

Postby Endo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Yeh, the pack start at the (durr) starting line can be a bit dubious at times with the unclipping and clipping in of cleats and the close-quarters start-stopping.. If you don't really mind about an official start time, I'd just start from South Melb....

Does anyone have any thoughts to an alternative placement of their rider number/timing strips on their bike? I really don't want to run the number on the front like a BMX racer for 210kms... goodbye any aero advantage!

Semar

Postby Semar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:23 pm

So have we heard the good news ATBers? (conditional on traveling clockwise) The weather reports are confirming.

The wind will be Southerly and Southwesterly! That's a tail wind all the way home from Geelong. :D

Yes, the wind will hammer us from Queenscliff to Geelong, but down to Sorento is relatively sheltered.

For the anti-clockwisers, sorry, like last year, you'll need to shelter behind a very big rider all the way to Geelong.

Reading some of the neuroses above, I can confirm that you'll know when to lock into cleats at the lights by the explosion of CLACK sounds around you.
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Endo wrote:Yeh, the pack start at the (durr) starting line can be a bit dubious at times with the unclipping and clipping in of cleats and the close-quarters start-stopping...
Makes me glad I have double-sided pedals - Shimano A530's (SPD's on one side and flats on the other).
I might just ride the flats until the bunch spreads out and then I'll clip in and away I go...
Endo wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts to an alternative placement of their rider number/timing strips on their bike? I really don't want to run the number on the front like a BMX racer for 210kms... goodbye any aero advantage!
I don't think you'll lose that much time with aero loss IMO....and at the end of the day it's not a race, even though it seems many are treating it like one.

Dave

Endo

Postby Endo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
Makes me glad I have double-sided pedals - Shimano A530's (SPD's on one side and flats on the other).
I might just ride the flats until the bunch spreads out and then I'll clip in and away I go...
That's a good idea!

DoogleDave wrote:
I don't think you'll lose that much time with aero loss IMO....and at the end of the day it's not a race, even though it seems many are treating it like one.

Dave
It's more the fact that my training has been abysmal and any advantage, aero or otherwise, I can get to help me to the finish line, is going to be a a great help!

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 pm

The positioning of the "number plate is SO not pro 8) and I think will drive me nuts the whole way

As Dave said the weather will be what it will be. I have done an eastlink and otways ride in the past and granted the ABD is bigger but I think if you apply a good road sense, no sudden changes and show patience you will survive the start. I think it will also sort itself out after the first rest stop at 25km mark in that the packs start the spread out.

In the end its supposed to be a nice day out on the bike and while I will push I want to finish so there is an element of taking it easy and it is not a race

I am starting to get very keen and I think Saturday will be great when I give the bike a clean and tune up thinking the next day will be fun :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Semar

Postby Semar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Two hour drive to Melb on Saturday for picnic for daughter #2's 19th birthday in the Botanaiacal Gardens, dinner in Market Lane and night in a St Kilda Rd hotel.

Up at a ridiculous hour. Ride to start line in the dim dawn light.

I found the start quite ok on my first ATB. Packs form within a few km. As a pack virgin :oops: I nearly cleaned up a few at a set of lights I almost missed. Learned the hand signals quickly and paid attention. I didn't like my bike being rather roughly stacked on the ferry though. :x

Last year one zip tie was not enough to hold my timing tag. Lost is along the way. I'm doubling up this year.
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Endo wrote:
DoogleDave wrote:
That's a good idea!

I wonder if it may be a good idea to stick something on the slippery side of the normal spd pedals? I know I always slip when trying to take off without something to grip on haha.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 am

Not meaning to poke fun, but you guys are funny. :D

Don't stress over the start. Just give room between yourself and the person in front of you. It isn't a race and most people wont push in or be a PIA with getting out of the city. Also the majority of people there at the start will have the same concerns as you mention here and everyone is watching everyone. Just don't try to race, enjoy the ride and before you know it you will be on Beach Rd or the Westgate.

The points about riding in the bunches is also valid. There are lots of people out there and some of them have never ridden in bunches before. You will come across some good bunches and will fine some nightmare ones. The solution is as simple, if you don't feel comfortable just drop off the back and grab the next one that comes past. It isn't a race and a nightmare bunch will cause you to waste a lot of energy.

As for fluids/food/breaks, don't change what you have done in training and don't spend too much time surfing the internet for secrets on being immortal. Keep drinking but don't plan your day around it, there are heaps of water stops and just stop when you are getting low to refill. The amount of food you need is very much related to how hard you are going to go, keeping in E1 and E2 and you won't be burning energy that quickly that just by listening to you body and eating more if you are feeling hungry will be fine. If you are going to try and do this as a time trial in the high E3-VO2 then you need to have a much more managed carb intake. I wouldn't be taking gels, proper food is more than fine.

As a last suggestion, only stop if you need to. If you get to a rest stop that you planned to stop at but you don't need water/etc, keep going. You will find that you waste a lot of time at rest stops and it can make the day very long.

Just ride, have a chat to others around you and enjoy the day.

- David.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks for the details.

If its any consolation i've been having nightmares nearly every night haha. I'm that nervous.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Adrain,

The nerves are understandable, however you will be able to have a good laugh at yourself next week once you have completed it and find out that it is after all just a bike ride.

Just ride within your comfort zone and don't worry about anyone else. Once you exit the inner city it is just open road with other happy people that just like to go for a ride.

I look forward to your posts next week on this.

- David.

blatant

Postby blatant » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:33 pm

deciding to treat this as a training race and take my TT bike (half ironman coming up in november) or just use my roadie

what're peoples thoughts on tri vs road bike for ATB? I'm guessing road due to the other riders being a hazard?

rusteh

Postby rusteh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 pm

blatant wrote:what're peoples thoughts on tri vs road bike for ATB? I'm guessing road due to the other riders being a hazard?
Anyone on a TT bike in a bunch is a hazard to themselves and those around them, don't do it!

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 pm

+1 to DavidL's post. Remember that it's not a race and you're halfway home.

Biggest potential hazard is other cyclists that haven't been in a bunch all that often. If that's you, take a little time to learn a few generic signals so you know what's coming up and can signal others behind you.

Inaminit's definitions are pretty accurate:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 15&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Although they can vary slightly between groups, some of the common hand signals are :

Arm outstretched at about shoulder height = turning.

hand pointing out to side at waist height = rider moving over or preparing to pass someone on that side.

Hand waving low to side or pointing to road = an obstacle to be aware of on that side of the rider but not directly in the current riding line.

Left Hand waving behind riders back = merge over to the right to avoid obstacle in current riding line. Can also mean go single file.

Right hand waving behind riders back = merge over to the left to avoid obstacle in current riding line. Can also mean go single file.

Hand behind seat with palm facing out = slowing or stopping.

And one I saw for the first time today....

Hand straight up in the air with a closed fist = slowing or stopping.

Whenever I join a group for the first time I try to sit at the back and get a feel for not only the hand signals they use but their voice calls too...remember if you're confused by their signals and calls, then chances are they'll be confused by yours too. Best to play it safe until you are all speaking the same lingo."

Take it easy and you'll be fine.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:16 pm

rusteh wrote:
blatant wrote:what're peoples thoughts on tri vs road bike for ATB? I'm guessing road due to the other riders being a hazard?
Anyone on a TT bike in a bunch is a hazard to themselves and those around them, don't do it!
There are very good reasons why the UCI don't allow the use of TT style bar's in non-solo events. As a person that may end up in a bunch with you on Sunday I suggest that you leave the TT bike at home for my safety.

As general advice, take the road bike. This isn't a race and a large percentage of the groups formed arn't controlled enough for you to be anywhere near safe stretched out on the TT bike. If you want to do some TT base training then pick another weekend and do it, I wouldn't be using this event to do any "race" practice as there are just too many people out there on the roads and they are way to unpredictable to be belting past them on a TT bike.

And finally why would you want to do 200+km on a TT bike anyway? If you want that sort of fun just stay home and burn yourself with a cigarette lighter and save the hassle of getting sweaty.

- David.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:24 am

I keep not sleeping properly at the moment. I'm that nervous about the event. I'm confident i'll be safe and courteous to other riders but the bunch racing is rather daunting, If i ever managed to find the opportunity to overtake a lower rider/pack I would be worried to be a nusense to them.

If there is a big bunch and you need to overtake, would it be best to do it when safe on the other lane (i'm imagining the bunch would take up the whole left lane (or would it only be say half of that).

I'm imagining cyclists EVERYWHERE on beach road (like rubbing shoulders), thats whats nervous.

I am imagining riding my bike on a tight rope lol

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 am

Me and my girl (kathy) are driving a sag wagon in the afternoon... Melb Sorrento Melb. So we will wave when we see you.