Why Use CO2 Cartridges?

rdp_au

Why Use CO2 Cartridges?

Postby rdp_au » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am

I have to say that I really don’t understand the popularity of CO2 for tyre inflation. It seems to me to be yet another example of resource consumption for really very little reward. I admit, I’ve never used a CO2 cartridge, but I have fixed many flats on the road, in all sorts of weathers. With a half decent pump, it is simply not that hard to get a reasonable amount of pressure into the tyre. It can take a while, but unless it’s a race where time is super critical, why would you consume all the resources required to make that CO2 cartridge available, just for a little convenience?

Crawf

Re: Why Use CO2 Cartridges?

Postby Crawf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:16 am

If you run tubeless, then they are a wise thing to carry, if you get a full deflation you need to get air in their fast to lock in the beads.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:20 am

because I would rather just inflate and ride away rather than spend more time pumping away.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:35 am

Because... you can. I personally don't ride a bike because it's good for the environment or to be green, i ride a bike because i love doing it.

A lot of cyclists do seem to put their bike on a car rack and drive to the start point be it for a group ride, the usual cycle on bike paths, or recreational ride with the family. I'd imagine that my cycling door to door and having used two C02 inflators in the last 5000km's(touch wood) not that bigger impact compared to driving done by others.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:47 am

Much more "group friendly" to have a puncture fixed in the shortest possible time, and most mini pumps do struggle to get a true 100psi+
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm sure the cartridges are recyclable as well, so not terribly wasteful.

But since this thread is pretty one sided, I'm going to go ahead and assert that real cyclists use pumps.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm

I carry both and use whichever is more convenient at the time.

Riding to work at 5.30am and getting a puncture, I want to fix it and get going ASAP so I have used my CO2 to inflate and get to work (which is 36km's from home, so not a 10min ride away).

However, if I am out by myself on the weekend and I get a flat I am happy to save the CO2 and use the pump (though I actually prefer pre-inflating with the mini-pump to around 20psi and then using the CO2 which will get the tyre back to around 110-120psi).

Each to their own I guess. They are there for cyclists to make use of and I don't believe there is anything wrong with using them - nor do I believe that a real cyclist only uses a hand pump.
YMMV

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:15 pm

Oxford wrote:ever been on the side of the road, flat tyre, in terrible weather, completely exposed and just wanting to get moving again? you'll appreciate a fast inflation then, otherwise under most circumstances I do agree, CO2 is for when its absolutely necessary, races, the scenario I described etc.
More often than I'd prefer but I still just use a pump.
Cartridges are just another bit of unnecessary kit to spend money on in my opinion, but if it makes you happy.
Cheers,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:02 pm

rdp_au wrote:I have to say that I really don’t understand the popularity of CO2 for tyre inflation. It seems to me to be yet another example of resource consumption for really very little reward. I admit, I’ve never used a CO2 cartridge, but I have fixed many flats on the road, in all sorts of weathers. With a half decent pump, it is simply not that hard to get a reasonable amount of pressure into the tyre. It can take a while, but unless it’s a race where time is super critical, why would you consume all the resources required to make that CO2 cartridge available, just for a little convenience?
1. Bike shops love people who use Co2 as they get to sell them replacement cartridges, I've seen pleanty of them rammed down beginners throats who don't know any different. I've lost count of the number of people I've helped on their 1st ever puncture that didn't know how to operate the Co2..
2. Co2 is fast - if there is a bunch waiting this is the way to go
3. Co2 is small and light - more compact than any pump

I carry a pump and Co2 - if I am by myself or with my training buddy I'll pump it the old fashioned way. If I am with a bunch and they've been kind enough to wait, then I always use Co2.

If someone invents a refillable co2 cartridge that you could pump up with a shock pump for example that would be interesting, I wonder what the technical difficulties are as to why this hasn't already been done??
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:53 pm

Co2 cans and a quick repair plugs actually work really well on motos... Got me out of big trouble once... Much more reliable than repair aerosols.

boss

Postby boss » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:10 pm

I like CO2 just because of the size. iPhone 5, keys, work keycard, small multitool, two tubes, some levers, couple of cartridges and a small inflator head fit in my saddle bag with ease.

Two cartridges plus a small inflator head might equal the size of a very small pump but pumps aren't foldable!

You can get cartridges between $1.50 and $2 online. I wouldn't be paying $5+ a cartridge from a store, though.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:56 pm

jacks1071 wrote: If someone invents a refillable co2 cartridge that you could pump up with a shock pump for example that would be interesting, I wonder what the technical difficulties are as to why this hasn't already been done??
You would need a pretty serious pump if you were just trying to put air in (maybe 2000psi??? haven't calc'd it), or if you were somehow putting CO2 in, you still need to get it to 800-900psi (pending temp) to get it to a liquid state.
Then, once you manage that, you need to come up with some type of resealing mechanism that can be applied with out losing pressure & can hold that pressure with a comfortable factor of safety.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:59 pm

For me... My bike is my transport. Sometimes I have to be somewhere. Also, if I'm riding in a group with say 20 people, and they are standing around waiting for me to fix a flat - I believe I owe it to them to get the job done as quickly as possible.

I carry a pump and will use it in preference to co2 if I don't have time pressures. :)

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm

ozdavo wrote:Much more "group friendly" to have a puncture fixed in the shortest possible time, and most mini pumps do struggle to get a true 100psi+
Comedian wrote:For me... My bike is my transport. Sometimes I have to be somewhere. Also, if I'm riding in a group with say 20 people, and they are standing around waiting for me to fix a flat - I believe I owe it to them to get the job done as quickly as possible.

I carry a pump and will use it in preference to co2 if I don't have time pressures. :)
I cant get a 100psi in with a mini pump???
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Mustang wrote:
ozdavo wrote:Much more "group friendly" to have a puncture fixed in the shortest possible time, and most mini pumps do struggle to get a true 100psi+
Comedian wrote:For me... My bike is my transport. Sometimes I have to be somewhere. Also, if I'm riding in a group with say 20 people, and they are standing around waiting for me to fix a flat - I believe I owe it to them to get the job done as quickly as possible.

I cant get a 100psi in with a mini pump???
Yeah.. you have to have a good pump and some good pumping muscles to get 100psi out of a little pump. Plus, there is a chance you'll snap the valve if it isn't one of the ones with the rubber hose at the end of the pump.

The way I look at co2 inflators is they are win-win. If you use them and it goes well .. then you look like a hero. If you stuff it up - and let's be honest there are many opportunities for the inexperienced to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! it up then it's really quite funny and everyone gets a smile. Win Win. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Honestly... compared to the environmental trainwreck that is western society I don't think a few co2 cylinders are our most pressing problem.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 pm

I don't buy the 'save time excuse' for using co2. IME waiting for others, most time is taken getting the tire off/on. People concerned about holding others up would be more logical to practise that skill and not use wheels that are a tight fit. They should also check their tires regularly and replace them while they are still in reasonable condition....and finally learn how to thoroughly clear a tire of glass/sharp stones so they don't get a 2nd puncture.

It takes me 60-90 seconds to pump a tire to 90psi, which is totally adequate for all sorts of riding.

The co2 advantage imo is you don't have the inconvenience of carrying a larger pump.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 pm

ozdavo wrote:
jacks1071 wrote: If someone invents a refillable co2 cartridge that you could pump up with a shock pump for example that would be interesting, I wonder what the technical difficulties are as to why this hasn't already been done??
You would need a pretty serious pump if you were just trying to put air in (maybe 2000psi??? haven't calc'd it), or if you were somehow putting CO2 in, you still need to get it to 800-900psi (pending temp) to get it to a liquid state.
Then, once you manage that, you need to come up with some type of resealing mechanism that can be applied with out losing pressure & can hold that pressure with a comfortable factor of safety.
Competition level air pistols and rifles switched from co2 to PCP (pre compressed pneumatic) some years ago now, and they take anything up to 3500psi, rarely any issues with sealing. None of the canisters used are anywhere near the size of a little co2 cartridge but i don't see why it couldn't be done. Specific track style pumps are available to get them up to those pressures, but it takes quite some time.

My current hand pump is a Topeak something or other that cost $25, i can get that to 110 no problems, and it doesn't take long. My tip re hand pumps, after having my nice Lezyne pump come out of the frame mount and get mangled in my rear wheel, i now put the pump up my knick leg, with the rubber grippers most knicks have it's never going anywhere, and i never notice it.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:48 pm

For me CO2's are awesome...I don't have enough strength the get a tyre pumped up sufficiently with a small hand pump.
Lisa

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:52 pm

marinmomma wrote:For me CO2's are awesome...I don't have enough strength the get a tyre pumped up sufficiently with a small hand pump.
how do you go getting the tire off/on the wheel?

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

winstonw wrote:
marinmomma wrote:For me CO2's are awesome...I don't have enough strength the get a tyre pumped up sufficiently with a small hand pump.
how do you go getting the tire off/on the wheel?
Usually ok.
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 pm

[url]http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... ct+cyclist[\url]

This thread might be a good candidate for the Perfect Cyclist thread :wink:
Lisa

chill

Postby chill » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:30 pm

I use CO2 cartridges because I like them :?

I don't know what's been more wasteful, the amount of pumps that have gone by the wayside or empty cartridges that have gone in the recycling.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:51 am

boss

Postby boss » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:19 am

ldrcycles wrote: i now put the pump up my knick leg, with the rubber grippers most knicks have it's never going anywhere, and i never notice it.
That could do some damage in a crash!

gdt

Postby gdt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:15 am

I use a minipump. But a good road bike minipump is expensive -- the cheap ones won't get the necessary pressure or will let you down in the middle of nowhere. That has changed a bit (eg, Cellbikes has the Lezyne Road Drive for $40), but the economics still strongly favour CO2 for weekend warriors ($10-15 for the inflator, $2-5 per cylinder).