Tyres for Kep Track

Sprocket

Tyres for Kep Track

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Thinking of doing a trip out to Northam along the Kep Track and then back through Toodyay. The Kep Track brochure says to ensure that off-road tyres are fitted. I don't really want to ride knobblies for the Toodyay leg and was wondering if anyone on the forum has ridden the Kep Track (I bet someone has :) ) and can assist with tyre recommendations. I have a set of Schwalbe Marathon Mondials available, but only in 35. Should I get something a) wider and/or b) chunkier (and just deal with it for the road leg home)?

Aushiker

Re: Tyres for Kep Track

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Sprocket wrote:Thinking of doing a trip out to Northam along the Kep Track and then back through Toodyay. The Kep Track brochure says to ensure that off-road tyres are fitted. I don't really want to ride knobblies for the Toodyay leg and was wondering if anyone on the forum has ridden the Kep Track (I bet someone has :) ) and can assist with tyre recommendations. I have a set of Schwalbe Marathon Mondials available, but only in 35. Should I get something a) wider and/or b) chunkier (and just deal with it for the road leg home)?
I have ridden it on my mountain bike so with knobblies, however ajh rode his touring bike without dramas.

ajh on his touring bike on the Kep Track

I had planned to ride it on my Chasing the Dirt tour on my Surly Long Haul Trucker which is fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Mondial HS 428 47-622. I have also just completed the Waterous Trail this week with Rifraf and he rode his Moulten Land Rover which has Schwalbe road tyres on it.

Rifraf's Moulten Land Rover

So based on all that I wouldn't be worried about your tyres. Sure you may be a bit slower and may have to walk the odd bit of deep pee gravel but it will not be a big issue and it is a fun ride.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

I road it with Marathon Duremes 26x2.0.
But I could also ride it with my Masi with 700cx38 as well nicely. Marathon supremes would be ok for it as well.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Thank you both. Sounds like I might be good to go with the mondials, even if a little on the skinny side. And the info about the supremes is very useful as a friend who might come along has a surly LHT with 2" supremes. The pictures make me want to go this weekend!

redned

Postby redned » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 am

A touring-type road tyre will get you over most of the Kep Track. There is a bad sandy section that is used by horses. I went on a blistering hot January day, no moisture at all in the chopped-up sand. It was too much for my Maxxis Wormdrives which are my dirt-road tyres but on that day I don't think even knobblies would have helped. Some awkward hilly gravel sections along the pipeline near Northam can get a bit skittish.
The ride down the river to Toodyay then home via Julimar and Chittering roads (if you live in the northern suburbs) is one of my favorite rides. I avoid Toodyay Rd.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for the additional info redned. Just got to work out when I can get away to do this trip now. Don't want to leave it til January - your description of "blistering" doesn't sound too enticing!

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Tried to ride the track from Clackline to Mt Helena, and then on to Swan View on the weekend just gone. Pea gravel between Clackline and Wundowie was pretty slippery. After my travel companion came off her bike for the second time and we had been forced off the track by some trail bikers we abandoned the track for the road. Fortunately there is road pretty much parallel with the majority of the track so it meant we didn't deviate too much from the original route. Despite having to bail out of the track part it was a great weekend. Left from Midland and rode up to Toodyay on the Saturday, via Chittering and along Julimar road. Then on Sunday down to Clackline, part of the track to Wundowie, then on to Hovea.