Casual riding group in Hornsby

nuclear_rider

Casual riding group in Hornsby

Postby nuclear_rider » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Lads and Ladies,

I recently have gotten back into biking after many years of pretty unhealthy living. I am riding on average 100km/week at roughly 24km/hr (3/4's of the time commuting with panniers).

Having moved to the area reasonably recently I am looking for a group of people to do a regular, not race oriented, ride on the weekends with. Is anyone interested in going on some rides or know of an existing group?

Cheers,

Thomas

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk 2

purple

Re: Casual riding group in Hornsby

Postby purple » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 pm

You may join Bike North. They have weekly ride and most of them starts at Hornsby.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:13 pm

nuclear_rider wrote:Hi Lads and Ladies,

I recently have gotten back into biking after many years of pretty unhealthy living. I am riding on average 100km/week at roughly 24km/hr (3/4's of the time commuting with panniers).

Having moved to the area reasonably recently I am looking for a group of people to do a regular, not race oriented, ride on the weekends with. Is anyone interested in going on some rides or know of an existing group?

Cheers,

Thomas

Hi Thomas.

Here's a link to the Bike North calendar. There are rides of every degree of difficulty from easy to hard. Quite a few rides start at Hornsby such as Pie in the Sky, The George and Berowra.

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/calendar/

nuclear_rider

Postby nuclear_rider » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks heaps for the referrals! I will definitely come along to one of the gentler rides in the next few weeks.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:09 am

Thomas,

Welcome to the area! I live in Hornsby Heights and commute 2-3 times a week to Homebush. You’ll find me passing through the intersection of the Pacific Highway and Galston Rd around 0700. I can also recommend the Bike North rides, they are a friendly bunch, with rides to cater for all abilities. Pie in the Sky is a very nice introduction, with not too many hills. As you are probably already aware, most decent rides starting at Hornsby will involve a reasonable amount of climbing. The benefits are some very nice scenery and generally quiet roads.

nuclear_rider

Postby nuclear_rider » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:27 am

Thanks rdp_au. I also commute a few times a week now, though only to North Turramurra. I have done Galston gorge, berowra waters and bobbin head a few times now and whilst the climb is tough I am managing.

Which way do you head to homebush?

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:35 am

nuclear_rider wrote:Thanks rdp_au. I also commute a few times a week now, though only to North Turramurra. I have done Galston gorge, berowra waters and bobbin head a few times now and whilst the climb is tough I am managing.

Which way do you head to homebush?
My commuting route is Pacific Highway to Hornsby station, back streets to Wahroonga, Pacific highway to Turramurra (downhill - wheeee!!), Kissing Point Rd, bike path under the M2, Vimera rd to Eastwood, back streets to West Ryde and Meadowbank, over Rhodes bridge onto cycle path to Sydney Olympic Park. It's a pretty good run with not too many traffic problems. Here it is on Strava;

http://app.strava.com/rides/25321603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:00 pm

nuclear_rider wrote:Hi Lads and Ladies,

Cheers,

Thomas

Northern Sydney Cycling Club do 3 levels of rides on Saturday mornings. The entry one, Guns'n'Roses is about that pace, and goes for about 50k - either through Bobbin Head and out to Terry Hills and back to Pierres Turramurra for coffee, or the two gorges and coffee in Berowra. It's a no drop ride and the bunch is pretty friendly. They're pretty good on teaching bunch etiquette too (without being grumpy about it!). It meets outside of what used to be Hornsby Pool at 6:30am. You don't need to join up to ride with them, though joining comes with insurance, etc.

If you outgrow it or find it's not quick enough for you, the next ride up is Le Reve which does the Terrey Hills route and averages 28-30kmh and is also no drop.

Cheers,
Dave