Opinions on Ribbles new Reynolds 525 frame as a commuter

whitey

Opinions on Ribbles new Reynolds 525 frame as a commuter

Postby whitey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:07 am

Thinking about one of Ribbles new Winter/Audax 525 Frames http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/showPart. ... W240&bike=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a commuter/all rounder.

Frame and fork delivered for $400, has eyelets for panniers and mudguards. I can see any downside. I've been looking for a second hand steel frame for sometime but I reckon this is good value

Thoughts?

Here is once built up.

janus77

Re: Opinions on Ribbles new Reynolds 525 frame as a commuter

Postby janus77 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 am

i reckon it looks like a great frame for a commuter.
I'd like to upgrade to something like that myself.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:41 am

I am with Janus77. I seriously considered a Ribble Audax/Winter frame at the time I purchased my Kinesis Racelight Grandfondo frame. I cannot remember why I didn't go with it in the end but it was on the short list.

Andrew

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:56 am

Doesn't appear to have a geometry diagram/chart under bike builder for this Ribble frame yet.

Being in the UK, I'm surprised they don't have a disk brake winter/training frame yet. I'd prefer a Planet X Kaffenback at this stage.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=57515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

janus77

Postby janus77 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:59 am

Aushiker wrote:I am with Janus77. I seriously considered a Ribble Audax/Winter frame at the time I purchased my Kinesis Racelight Grandfondo frame. I cannot remember why I didn't go with it in the end but it was on the short list.

Andrew
Haha, you sure are with me, I also have a Kinesis frame on my commuter! Although my frame is quite a few years older than yours by the sound of it.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Nobody wrote:Doesn't appear to have a geometry diagram/chart under bike builder for this Ribble frame yet.

Being in the UK, I'm surprised they don't have a disk brake winter/training frame yet. I'd prefer a Planet X Kaffenback at this stage.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=57515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oooh....look at me, quoting me being quoted!

On the basis of about 2 hours of riding, I'm loving the Kaffenback (and I was wondering if it was going to be suggested in this thread).

Frame weighs around 2.1kg, but seeing as I stuck a saddle that weighs the same as a small moon on it, who cares?
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reman

Postby Reman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Nobody wrote:Doesn't appear to have a geometry diagram/chart under bike builder for this Ribble frame yet.
Not knowing the geometry would make me a little nervous, though I'm guessing it would be reasonably standard.

You could also look at this thread which mentions a number of (disc) options viewtopic.php?f=9&t=55414