Hydration tablets

cjrich

Hydration tablets

Postby cjrich » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:53 am

Hi all.

With the warmer months approaching I want to buy some hydration/electrolyte tablets to carry with me on longer rides. Looking to buy online from the UK, there are several brands out there, are some better than others or mostly the same?

Cheers
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Hydration tablets

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi CJ I have used High5 Zero as a test because they came free then I placed an online order to further test them and in my opinion they don't perform as there labelled so give them a miss. I know when trying to remain hydrated it can be a costly affair but I just go to the chemist and get Hydralyte in tablet form as they come in a water proof tube. Dropping two in a water bottle a sipping will do the job and these really do deliver results. I do long distance touring so I'm always up for good hydration so just cut to the chase and use what works. In the long run the tablets will last longer than the liquid version or you can purchase the sachet versions but I find tablets easy to use. There like the size of 4 ten cent bits stacked on each other but when placing in your bottle leave until dissolved and the first time you go for a drink make sure your mouth is over the spout. They build up pressure when devolving due to gas release and they come in three flavours if memory serves me right.

Ricky

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:12 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Hi CJ I have used High5 Zero as a test because they came free then I placed an online order to further test them and in my opinion they don't perform as there labelled so give them a miss. I know when trying to remain hydrated it can be a costly affair but I just go to the chemist and get Hydralyte in tablet form as they come in a water proof tube. Dropping two in a water bottle a sipping will do the job and these really do deliver results. I do long distance touring so I'm always up for good hydration so just cut to the chase and use what works. In the long run the tablets will last longer than the liquid version or you can purchase the sachet versions but I find tablets easy to use. There like the size of 4 ten cent bits stacked on each other but when placing in your bottle leave until dissolved and the first time you go for a drink make sure your mouth is over the spout. They build up pressure when devolving due to gas release and they come in three flavours if memory serves me right.

Ricky

I liked the high 5 zero given to me as a freebie so much i ordered some. i double dose (2 tablets in a bottle) and only use them when I'm doing a big ride

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:27 pm

I second High5 Zero tablets. I have the orange flavour.
Tip: Get one of those old film canisters and you can keep some in your jersey for a mid-ride refill. Easier to pack than the full 6inch tube.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:54 pm

I third the High 5 Zero tablets! Very impressed with them.... I used them during 2 weeks of riding at Byron Bay where it was warmer than I was used to and they really helped. Pleasant tasting and not at all sweet/sickly like bottled Gatorade or Powerade.
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:02 pm

I've got very little experience with such tablets but guys who ride in Audax have recommended Nuun tablets to me for cramp prevention.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

skull

Postby skull » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:03 pm

punk_rob wrote:I second High5 Zero tablets. I have the orange flavour.
Tip: Get one of those old film canisters and you can keep some in your jersey for a mid-ride refill. Easier to pack than the full 6inch tube.

They still sell film?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:17 pm

il padrone wrote:I've got very little experience with such tablets but guys who ride in Audax have recommended Nuun tablets to me for cramp prevention.
Yep I've made the switch to Nuun now. Want to buy a box from Wiggle when I have the dosh to do it and when I'm back on the bike.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:18 pm

I've used hydrolyte and found it good. Not for,cycling but other endurance stuff. I sweat like a pig so I'm very conscious about dehydration and always try to drink lot of regular old water most of the time ...

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:09 pm

I have used High5, nuun and Shotz tablets. The Shotz are about twice the price of the other 2 but I got them for free when I was sweep riding the Husky 100 MTB race.

For value for money I get the High5 from wiggle and find them to work just as well as the other 2.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 am

I use the high 5 ones and are happy with their performance.

Great idea on the film canister! On longer rides I've tended to just wrap them in glad wrap but I'll give the canister a go.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 am

I've used hydrolyte and found it to be very effective. I only use it on a rides over 2 hours or on a hot day. I also tend to make it a bit weaker than recommended as it seems to go down easier. When using it I carry 2 bidons, one with hydrolyte and one plain water.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:06 am

Ozkaban wrote:I've used hydrolyte and found it to be very effective. I only use it on a rides over 2 hours or on a hot day. I also tend to make it a bit weaker than recommended as it seems to go down easier. When using it I carry 2 bidons, one with hydrolyte and one plain water.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
I believe hydrolyte is very good. It contains glucose too. Only downer is the cost.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
il padrone wrote:I've got very little experience with such tablets but guys who ride in Audax have recommended Nuun tablets to me for cramp prevention.
Yep I've made the switch to Nuun now.
Another vote for Nuun's here. Much prefer them to High 5.

Andrew
Andrew

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:22 am

For cramp prevention the main thing to check for is that the product contains magnesium.

For long, hard rides I take magnesium tablets. I suffered from cramps for more than 20 years and have found this works.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm

For any newbies reading this they are not hydration tablets, they are electrolyte replacement tablets. Hydration can only come from water and when youexercise a lot and only drink water you need to replace electrolytes using the above products mixed with water.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:08 am

I use the Sqwincher Lite Qwik Stik's that I get in packs of 50 from the local safety shop. Tiny electrolyte powder mix that tastes far better than the High 5 or Shotz tablets in a Camelbak Podium bottle...the version I have is a zero sugar too. Cost wise it's about a dollar a shot.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:35 am

This might be worth a read, with particular attention to the last page.
http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/assets ... _sheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Too old to live, too slow to die.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:22 pm

bychosis wrote:For any newbies reading this they are not hydration tablets, they are electrolyte replacement tablets. Hydration can only come from water and when youexercise a lot and only drink water you need to replace electrolytes using the above products mixed with water.
I was curious, is there any reason why not to use these instead of "sports drinks" while on a ride?

slipsam

Postby slipsam » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:
Yep I've made the switch to Nuun now.
Another vote for Nuun's here. Much prefer them to High 5.

Andrew
+1 for Nuun. Used them recently on the Kinglake ride and ATB 250km and couldn't be happier. The Lemon & Lime tastes great.

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm

I bought a bunch of Nuun tablets back when LineBreak used to sell them, was pretty happy with them. I've thought of picking up a few more since they're so much better than messing with powders when you're filling up outside the house. But I've got a bunch of Clif drink mix I should really use first before adding more stuff. Wish Clif made some tablets of their lemonade drink mix (maybe with a bit less carbs to make it more like an electrolyte tablet), and I'd be in heaven.

death valley 69

Postby death valley 69 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Nuun tabs from iherb.com ; 12 tab. tubes US $4.96 - $5.12 . Free delivery over US $40 . :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 pm

OT (yell if you want a new thread). what does everyone use as their water additive when not using the tablets (as the tablets are expensive).

I currently use staminade but with increased riding, the tubs are lasting a lot less time and the minister for war and finance and I are looking for a cheaper suitable alternative

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 pm

jasonc wrote:OT (yell if you want a new thread). what does everyone use as their water additive when not using the tablets (as the tablets are expensive).

I currently use staminade but with increased riding, the tubs are lasting a lot less time and the minister for war and finance and I are looking for a cheaper suitable alternative
I use the mixture given by Paw Paw a while back: Link.

It's great because it uses inexpensive ingredients you can get from most supermarkets. You make up a mix of sugars and salts, and add 29grams of that mix to a cordial bottle, then make up your bike bottles before riding just like making cordial. Costs $0.45 per litre.

Just tell everyone in the house what you are up to, as they will find packets of white powders in the fridge.

It's working well for me. Last Sunday morning I didn't start out til 8am, and it was 28-34 degrees and I was good for hydration.

Thanks Paw paw!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Marto wrote:Thanks Paw paw!
looks worth a shot. thanks