same topic ,different day

micko

same topic ,different day

Postby micko » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi all, just spent most of my day (again) on the net looking at bike brands ,prices, and trying to get some reviews, as yes im also looking at getting a new MTB bike as the one that me uncle pulled out of the tip is wearing out abit and a bit to heavy (steel frame) . so what im looking for is a solid but light bike round the $1G mark. mostly riding on gravel and sandy trails to me local climbing spots, but there is also so cool little down hill areas around the margaret river area ( where i live) which are great to play on, SO would a hardtail be sufficient? ( a good model hardtail vs. a basic model dual susp.) . also has anybody had bikes shipped over from the states or canada as if you can pick up a good deal over there, would the shipping costs make it to costly in the long run? as i have bought good cheap climbing gear from the states and uk before, but they where never as bulky as a pushy.
PS it is really amazing the stuff people throw away.

bigbuzz73

same topic different day

Postby bigbuzz73 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:11 pm

Hi Micko,
I bought an 07 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc a few months ago. Paid $1299 in Melbourne. IMHO they are a good solid bike and should suit your purpose. Previously I had a dualie, but even though it cost about the same $ as the Spesh, the Hardrock is much better quality. I found I needed to spend around $2-2500 to get a decent dual suspension bike.
Also worth your consideration are the Giant and Avanti: both make good bikes around $1000.
And of course, your final choice should be based on which bike feels "right" to you, and on which bike shop treats you like the most important person in the world!! Good luck, and enjoy the search..... buying a new bike is soooo much fun!! :D
Wayne

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:16 pm

G'Day Micko, I wouldn't go for a dually in that price range. Find a nice feeling hardtail that hangs nicely from your bum (Right, who said Giant???)

Shaun

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: same topic ,different day

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:23 pm

micko wrote:also has anybody had bikes shipped over from the states or canada as if you can pick up a good deal over there, would the shipping costs make it to costly in the long run? as i have bought good cheap climbing gear from the states and uk before, but they where never as bulky as a pushy.
If you ship a bike over from the states, make sure that is comes in pieces that are in separate shipments. When I last checked any imports over $1,000 had to have tax paid on them.

If the total value of the parcel was less than $1,000, then it is OK. It may pay to check up on this before attempting it.