WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Forum rules
Post Title Format: [Your City/Region] Item Title

NEW MEMBERS, read the Market Place Rules first before posting.
peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:38 am

I'm looking for a set of forks for my '39 Malvern Star 2 Star restoration.

Steerer tube appears to be 25mm (1") diameter and length is about 176mm.

They need to be suitable for 28" wheels with mudguards and they also need to have sufficient rake to clear the head of a little Ducati motor that will be mounted on it.

User avatar
utedeej
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: Near Canberra

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby utedeej » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:43 am

I've got a set of malvern star forks that have the star in the fork crown. Will have a look and measure them today to see if they could be of use.

utedeej

User avatar
utedeej
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: Near Canberra

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby utedeej » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:52 am

Sorry mate, just checked quickly and the steerer is only a 145mm. Good luck with the chase

240ZR
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby 240ZR » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:50 pm

I have a really old set of forks which you have to spread apart to get the front wheel on as the ends (drop outs) are not slotted if you no what I mean, & the steerer is 180mm.

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 pm

utedeej wrote:Sorry mate, just checked quickly and the steerer is only a 145mm. Good luck with the chase


Bugger! But thanks for checking...

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:23 pm

240ZR wrote:I have a really old set of forks which you have to spread apart to get the front wheel on as the ends (drop outs) are not slotted if you no what I mean, & the steerer is 180mm.


180mm steerer should be fine... can you measure the fork leg lengths and the rake at all?

This is what I have now, and these are for 27" wheels:

Image

I need longer fork legs and a larger rake...

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Bumpity bump... noone has any floating around? My quest continues...

240ZR
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby 240ZR » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:38 pm

peteGS wrote:
240ZR wrote:I have a really old set of forks which you have to spread apart to get the front wheel on as the ends (drop outs) are not slotted if you no what I mean, & the steerer is 180mm.


180mm steerer should be fine... can you measure the fork leg lengths and the rake at all?

This is what I have now, and these are for 27" wheels:

Image

I need longer fork legs and a larger rake...


The measurements on mine are 385mm & 90mm.

Nick.

240ZR
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby 240ZR » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:38 pm

peteGS wrote:
240ZR wrote:I have a really old set of forks which you have to spread apart to get the front wheel on as the ends (drop outs) are not slotted if you no what I mean, & the steerer is 180mm.


180mm steerer should be fine... can you measure the fork leg lengths and the rake at all?

This is what I have now, and these are for 27" wheels:

Image

I need longer fork legs and a larger rake...


The measurements on mine are 385mm & 90mm.

Nick.

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:54 pm

240ZR wrote:The measurements on mine are 385mm & 90mm.

Nick.


Thanks Nick, they look promising! Can you confirm the rake is measured from the centre of the steerer to the centre of the axle? And the fork leg length is measured vertically from under the shoulder to the centre of the axle? I realise my diagram is pretty crappy and may be misleading so best I double check :)

240ZR
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby 240ZR » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:07 pm

peteGS wrote:
240ZR wrote:The measurements on mine are 385mm & 90mm.

Nick.


Thanks Nick, they look promising! Can you confirm the rake is measured from the centre of the steerer to the centre of the axle? And the fork leg length is measured vertically from under the shoulder to the centre of the axle? I realise my diagram is pretty crappy and may be misleading so best I double check :)


Hi Pete, the measurement are 380 & 85mm.

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:47 am

Sounds like they should be worth a try Nick, will shoot you a PM.

User avatar
Dan
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:41 am

Perhaps too short in the steerer Pete, but did you see these?

(Presuming of course its not you offloading your unsuitable extras)

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 am

diggerdantheman wrote:Perhaps too short in the steerer Pete, but did you see these?

(Presuming of course its not you offloading your unsuitable extras)


Yup, sure did! Got flagged in my eBay saved search :)

Steerer is good, but getting confirmation on the rake measurement as the photos are really hard to read them from. The good thing is I could go and pick them up this week as I have a week off work.

Nick's forks look good but not 100% sure on brand as yet, checking that out at the moment too.

Thanks guys!

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm

After (im)patiently waiting for 2 1/2 weeks I finally got the eBay forks, but unfortunately they're too short. The rake is good but the fork legs aren't long enough.

Here's a comparison with the forks I have now which are tweaked and for 27" wheels:

Image

So I'm still looking for them...

Looks like 380mm or longer for the fork leg and at least 80mm of rake:

Image

Image

It's highly unlikely I'll get a chance to attend the upcoming swap meet unfortunately...

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:46 am

Bumpity bump... still looking if anyone's got a pair...

milph1988
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:28 am

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby milph1988 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:37 am

I have some MS forks with a long stem are bent, so if you can straighten them you can have them. It might not be right but it could be worth a try. If i can get them OFF!!

PS you'll have to email me for a pic, i cant seem to work out how to do it

peteGS
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: WTB - [BNE] - Malvern Star Forks - 30's - 50's vintage

Postby peteGS » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:23 am

milph1988 wrote:I have some MS forks with a long stem are bent, so if you can straighten them you can have them. It might not be right but it could be worth a try. If i can get them OFF!!

PS you'll have to email me for a pic, i cant seem to work out how to do it


Thanks for the offer but will definitely pass on some bent ones... on a motorised bicycle I think there's a bit too much risk in them being weakened.

I did end up getting another almost complete bicycle but that means I'm going to end up with two minus one set of forks, so I'm still on the lookout for a pair.

I'm beginning to think I'll restore two... one for the motor and one for me to start getting some exercise again... :wink:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Derny Driver, Discodan, MSNbot Media