2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

clackers

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby clackers » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 am

Percrime wrote:Me and my girl (kathy) are driving a sag wagon in the afternoon... Melb Sorrento Melb. So we will wave when we see you.
I reckon I'll be needing you guys about 45 minutes in ... see you at Sandringham, I'll bring doughnuts! :grin:

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 am

Hi all,

Two days to go.. and I feel a bit nervous, especially after reading about the 'crashes' that happen on a group riding event like ATB (another rider hit me from behind, or the rider in front of me stops suddenly without warning). Anyone happy to share their tips based on their experience to avoid or minimise this chance? I took great care of my bike (I hope it's an acceptable norm to have, especially here, in this forum), and the last thing I want was to be involved in a bike crash - due to someone else's ignorance.

I hope I am making sense here. I would appreciate if no one would make some insensible comments like, "if you care too much about your bike, then use an old bike for ATB", or "if you care too much about your bike, just leave it at home, and frame it". I love my bike, and being someone that is not excessively flush with money, it's a pretty expensive possession for me to have, such possession that I don't think I will be able to replace in case something happen. I have been riding for almost two years, and thank God, have never involved in any accident, because I am always take extra care, extra alert, and always mindful of what goes around me. But, from what I read, in a group riding like ATB, you will get many different sort of riders, some might have very little knowledge and experience on road riding, etc.

Sorry if my post make no sense...
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

blatant

Postby blatant » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 pm

being relatively new to cycling I don't have anything appropriate for wet weather. I went to look at "sports" jackets but they're rather expensive I was hoping to pick one up online but obviously don't have time now so might just bite the bullet. As for the bottom half I've no idea, hoping it doesn't rain obviously but I want to be prepared as being wet for 6+hrs would not be good

rednaxela

Postby rednaxela » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:27 pm

kimmie wrote:But, from what I read, in a group riding like ATB, you will get many different sort of riders, some might have very little knowledge and experience on road riding, etc.
It is a 'mass participation' ride not a group ride, but whether you choose to ride with a group or on your own is entirely up to you. I am riding solo and I just avoid the 'groups'. You can either let them pass or you can pull away ahead of them. As for the slower riders and those who tend to weave all over the road, well, you can spot them a mile away so you have plenty of time to take action. What I always look out for are those riders coming up behind so I regularly do a quick head check on my six. Also try to keep to the leftmost side of the roadway/lane, that way you only have to watch the road ahead and your right.
Enjoy the ride and don't stress out. Ride your pace. It will be a good day despite the weather.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:21 pm

I agree with Rednaxela, don't worry about it too much and try to enjoy yourself - otherwise why even do the event.

This is my 1st time so I don't have any real sage words of experience other than what I have been told by friends (which I have already stated earlier in this thread).

Adrian, as for the pack taking up the whole lane....whilst this "may" occur, I believe riders are encouraged to ride no more than two abreast (which is the legal road law) - though this will likely take most of a lane anyway.
You are allowed to use the right-hand lane to pass, however before you do be sure to look ahead and make sure there is nothing parked on the side of the road up ahead (or any obstacles) as the pack will obviosly need to move out and around such things, which means you (and them) will need to be aware of each other during passing manouvers.

Kimmie, as long as you stay aware of those around you and keep whatever distance you feel comfortable with around you you should be fine.
If you don't trust the pack in front or around you, leave them and let them ride off into the distance then continue on. You can ride the event by yourself, which (personally) I may prefer to do for much of the distance (unless I come across any groups that are going my pace and I feel comfortable joining).
I think the key is to remain consistent, predictable and patient. If you start to worry that will just make things worse and you won't enjoy yourself and the ride will seem that much harder to do IMHO.

Most importantly - don't forget to ENJOY the ride!

I'll be the guy in the light blue 2012 ATB jersey with the black helmet (you can't miss me)....oh, and I'll be riding a black Felt F75...
If you see me, say Hi!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:25 pm

rednaxela wrote:
kimmie wrote:But, from what I read, in a group riding like ATB, you will get many different sort of riders, some might have very little knowledge and experience on road riding, etc.
It is a 'mass participation' ride not a group ride, but whether you choose to ride with a group or on your own is entirely up to you. I am riding solo and I just avoid the 'groups'. You can either let them pass or you can pull away ahead of them. As for the slower riders and those who tend to weave all over the road, well, you can spot them a mile away so you have plenty of time to take action. What I always look out for are those riders coming up behind so I regularly do a quick head check on my six. Also try to keep to the leftmost side of the roadway/lane, that way you only have to watch the road ahead and your right.
Enjoy the ride and don't stress out. Ride your pace. It will be a good day despite the weather.
Thanks rednaxela. That's a simple, yet solid advise. I will remember that. I am planning to stay back during start... will definitely let others go first and will position myself to the leftmost side of the street. Thanks again.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks Dave. That's really assuring. I will definitely lookout for you and for YVP too... :-)
DoogleDave wrote:I agree with Rednaxela, don't worry about it too much and try to enjoy yourself - otherwise why even do the event.

This is my 1st time so I don't have any real sage words of experience other than what I have been told by friends (which I have already stated earlier in this thread).

Kimmie, as long as you stay aware of those around you and keep whatever distance you feel comfortable with around you you should be fine.
If you don't trust the pack in front or around you, leave them and let them ride off into the distance then continue on. You can ride the event by yourself, which (personally) I may prefer to do for much of the distance (unless I come across any groups that are going my pace and I feel comfortable joining).
I think the key is to remain consistent, predictable and patient. If you start to worry that will just make things worse and you won't enjoy yourself and the ride will seem that much harder to do IMHO.

I'll be the guy in the light blue 2012 ATB jersey with the black helmet (you can't miss me)....oh, and I'll be riding a black Felt F75...
If you see me, say Hi!

Dave

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:33 pm

blatant wrote:being relatively new to cycling I don't have anything appropriate for wet weather. I went to look at "sports" jackets but they're rather expensive I was hoping to pick one up online but obviously don't have time now so might just bite the bullet. As for the bottom half I've no idea, hoping it doesn't rain obviously but I want to be prepared as being wet for 6+hrs would not be good
Sorry to say that there isn't much that truly keeps you dry! The really waterproof stuff makes you sweat like a pig. Shoe covers only last so long. Keep in mind that cycling gear will dry pretty quickly once it stops raining (except shoes).

The main thing is to keep warm. A light rain jacket will typically do the job.

As far as your bottom half is concerned, the best advice I can give is to use a rear fender. Keeps the bulk of the water out of your knicks but is very non pro!

For a long ride like ATB you might want to look at investing in some sun sleeves and a thin base layer that will wick moisture away quickly.

blatant

Postby blatant » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:52 pm

goneriding wrote:
blatant wrote:being relatively new to cycling I don't have anything appropriate for wet weather. I went to look at "sports" jackets but they're rather expensive I was hoping to pick one up online but obviously don't have time now so might just bite the bullet. As for the bottom half I've no idea, hoping it doesn't rain obviously but I want to be prepared as being wet for 6+hrs would not be good
Sorry to say that there isn't much that truly keeps you dry! The really waterproof stuff makes you sweat like a pig. Shoe covers only last so long. Keep in mind that cycling gear will dry pretty quickly once it stops raining (except shoes).

The main thing is to keep warm. A light rain jacket will typically do the job.

As far as your bottom half is concerned, the best advice I can give is to use a rear fender. Keeps the bulk of the water out of your knicks but is very non pro!

For a long ride like ATB you might want to look at investing in some sun sleeves and a thin base layer that will wick moisture away quickly.
do you have any suggestions as to specific garments to look out for?
Perhaps a link?

I don't get cold easily, so I don't think a base layer is neccessary. I do have tons of those drifit running tshirts/singlets I could wear underneath if thats what you meant?
I wish I was more prepared because I would like a good lightweight/breathable jacket for winter morning running. Might check out the new nike sore that opened nearby..

I'm praying for no rain haha!

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:24 pm

There's quite a few shops set up at the Festival site right now - saw a few light rain jackets for sale there while picking up my ticket at lunch.

Depends on what you're after, but the 2 important factors in a light jacket for me are:

1. Waterproof
2. Able to be scrunched into one back pocket.

speedhump

Postby speedhump » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:31 pm

I will be taking an umbrella. Good luck to all riders, I will be starting from Beaconsfield Pde, too cold and boring waiting at the start line, however I encourage all first timers to start at the start line for the experience!

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:34 am

Can any ATB veterans recommend the best route to get from Flinders St station to the start line?

Do we need to go down Yarra Bank Hwy (from St Kilda Rd) or can we go down Boathouse Dve?

Also, how early should one arrive/line up before their designated start time (which BNV suggest won't be before 6.10am)?
I'm just wondering how long it will take to get to the appropriate coloured corral and get into line.....as I don't want to be standing around for too long (though I appreciate things will likely take longer than they advertise for everyone to get away safely).

One more sleep to go...

Dave

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:20 am

Dave,

Just follow the river back and you will see the huge swarm of cyclists. Can just stay on the path on the Flinders St side, or cross over the Boadshed, doesn't really matter.

Start times are pretty accurate, and it only takes moments to get into the group your allotted to. And if for some reason you don't get into your group, just grab the next one. There isn't a police squad there to make sure your in your correct group, you could just jump in any group if you wanted to. So for your 6:10 start if you are there by 5:45 that should be plenty of time to find the group and get you spot, make sure your lights are on, remembered to get your gloves out of your pockets and pass a couple of bricks before they start you ;)

- David.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:19 am

From one DavidL to another, thank you!

I guess the 1000's of other riders around will be an indication on where to go...LOL

I had planned on getting there about 5.45am so I'll stick to the plan I'd already set for myself....and will make sure to pass a couple of bricks before I leave home....but thankfully I'm not at all nervous about the ride - I just like to be well prepared and know where to go etc.

Time to go out and give the bike a nice wipe over and final check before tomorrow, then pack everything and charge my lights and camera, all ready for an early night tonight!

Dave :D

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:39 am

So excited, I haven't been able to sleep at all I am that excited.

How quickly does the group move through the the starting line? I am guessing it can be quite a challenge to balance at very low speeds while everyones moving through so i'll definitely be in an easy gear and keep out of the cleats lol
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44 am

DoogleDave wrote:

If you see me, say Hi!

Dave
I'll be the guy in the light blue 2012 ATB jersey with the WHITE helmet (you can't miss me)....oh, and I'll be riding a black Felt F75...
If you see me, say Hi! :D

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, I am sure the day will work out well and we will finish with a big smile on our dials :lol:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:21 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote: I'll be the guy in the light blue 2012 ATB jersey with the WHITE helmet (you can't miss me)....oh, and I'll be riding a black Felt F75...
If you see me, say Hi! :D
LOL :lol:

I'm going to count how may Felt bikes I see out there tomorrow....as I'm still yet to see another one out on the road.
If I see a F75 with TWE wheels wizz past me on the way back from Sorrento (and the rider is wearing a white helmet) I'll yell out Hi to you YVP as you fly past :-)

You shouldn't miss me. I'll be wearing a cross country backpack (which I doubt any other Felt riders will be wearing).

The bike is all cleaned and prepped, ready to go (with rider number all installed on the front).
Bag is packed with various energy bars, gels, banana, pre-measured zip-locked bags of electrolyte powder (enough for 4 bottle refills) and two extra tubes and CO2 cannisters (in addition to the two tubes and CO2 in my saddle bag).
Camera battery is charged and front/rear lights and mobile phone are currently on charge.
Yeah....I like to be prepared :roll:

Now all that's left is to have a nice big dinner (pasta), make a sandwich to pack with the rest of the energy bars and then pack the car with the bike etc....and finally get the Garmin, ATB wrist band, drink bottles, clothes etc ready and then off to bed early for a 4.20am wake up.

Dave

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi Dave,

You might be surprised, there are a few Felts out there

I just finished giving the bike the once over, pumped the tryres up, checked the saddle bag (2 spare tubes, patch kit, 4 x Co2, tyre levers & multi-tool)

Now I need to get my gear ready before I head for my mums where I will crash the night

I am still undecided on what to wear, long sleeves of short :?
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm sure there are heaps of Felts out there, I've just never seen any of them - but with so many bikes around tomorrow I'm sure that will change.

I'll likely wear my arm, leg and feet warmers and if the day warms up enough I can take them off and I'm back to short sleeves.
I don't think I'll wear my wind jacket but I'll have it packed in case the weather turns for the worse.

If only the event could have been on today - such nice weather out there at the moment.
Oh, well.....it is what it is I guess!

Don't forget your event jersey, number plate and wrist band :-)

Dave

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:16 pm

The bag is packed and I have decided that I will wear a base layer and the event top. I am leaving the booties at home and the long gloves at home. I have a rain jacket which I can also wear if it gets really cold

I dont own arm warmers (I will rectify that but its too late now) so my only question is if I will wear the short or long base layer :?

even if its a couple of degrees colder than today and even if we get a slight shower I think short sleeves, but if the wind has some bite then long sleeves

oh the confusion :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Ok, I am about to head off so this will be my last post before the big day tomorrow

Best of Luck and safe Riding to all those involved tomorrow :D

I look forward to hearing your war story's once my body stops aching enough for me to get onto the computer 8)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:40 pm

adrian_d wrote:How quickly does the group move through the the starting line? I am guessing it can be quite a challenge to balance at very low speeds while everyones moving through so i'll definitely be in an easy gear and keep out of the cleats lol
They don't move fast. No-one treats this as a race, and the couple that do will push to the front and take off like it matters. So unless you are trying to mussel in on them they won't worry you.

After the MC pokes some fun as someone in the front row, they will let your group start, if you are towards the back there will be 10sec before the people around you start to move and you just roll off with the group. No hurry, no racing. And if it takes you a couple of attempts to get you cleats in it won't matter as there is no fighting for position they will just move around you and when your sorted you just ride.

If you are concerned, just start from the back of your group, you will have all the room in the world to get going.

I will be on the white Principa with the aero down tube. It is custom so will be the only one there. Make sure you say hello if we cross paths.

- David.

rusteh

Postby rusteh » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:36 pm

What are peoples thoughts on the weather, BOM says rain is predicted to be 0-1mm so I'm thinking of ditching the rain jacket to save space for more food as my jersey pockets are bursting at the seems as it is...

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:29 pm

If it rains I don't think it will be much (being they are only predicting 1mm), however perhaps its a wise idea to pack the jacket and leave a couple of food items at home but instead throw a $20 note in your pocket to stop at a shop somewhere if you find you need a last minute boost.

I'm sure I'm taking way too much but I'll be wearing a small backpack about 3/4 full (which isn't too heavy thankfully) so at least I'll know better for next years ATB ride :-)

Dave

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Just wanted to wish everyone a fantastic day tomorrow. I am extremely excited and i'm looking forward to riding with you all.

Have a safe and enjoyable journey and be sure to jump on bicycles.net.au with news on how you went tomorrow night :)
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)