Anyone from BNA doing the Spring Cycle event this Sunday?

Fresh

Anyone from BNA doing the Spring Cycle event this Sunday?

Postby Fresh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm new to Syds and this looks like a decent ride. Anyone from here going?

nuclear_rider

Re: Anyone from BNA doing the Spring Cycle event this Sunday

Postby nuclear_rider » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:28 pm

I am mate. Where abouts in Sydney are you coming from?

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk 2

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Lane Cove. If I dont register, can I still get in on the ride, or is the rego policed?

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:10 am

Doing a 15km route with my 8yo son. Still haven't figured out the best way to get to N. Sydney from the City.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Yep, I managed to score entry from a friend who won four entries. I'll be doing the 55km route leaving at 06:30. Giving the single speed a run since I've done the Spring Cycle on my other bikes before :D .
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

markusm

Postby markusm » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Fresh wrote:Lane Cove. If I dont register, can I still get in on the ride, or is the rego policed?

That's your call, I know if I was riding along and saw you riding unregistered I'd be pretty pissed.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 pm

You can register on the day - if only to be oficially counted so politicians know that cyclists exist in large numbers it would be nice.

It should be a nice ride in perfect weather, I live at the finish point, so have to do about 19kms to get to the start then wind my way back to the finish! Rest assured someone will log the ride as a Strava segment!

The real action is in SOP after the ride, check out the racing! Last year you could sit outside Gloria Jeans drinking Scientology coffee (poor joke) and cheer on the riders going full tilt around a very spectator friendly course.

If like me you get a bit excited by the noise expensive carbon wheels make and the smell of buring cork through the hairpin corners you need to be there!

JM

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:22 pm

It's a bit pricy but I'm thinking about going now, if only because I've been sick recently and missed ride to work day and probably shouldn't be racing again this weekend (so soon after being sick). Maybe I'll ride my race bike and see how I feel about the criterium when I get to SOP :P

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 am

Doing the 16km with SWMBO and Mini-Me.

If anybody is looking for an entry to the 16km event, I know of one (currently available for collection in Petersham). PM me for details.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:02 pm

At the SOP finish area, make sure you take a look at the criterium racing that's on there, being run by my club LACC. A good time will be had by all.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:42 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:At the SOP finish area, make sure you take a look at the criterium racing that's on there, being run by my club LACC. A good time will be had by all.
Will the ASADA be there to stop cheating in c grade

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:At the SOP finish area, make sure you take a look at the criterium racing that's on there, being run by my club LACC. A good time will be had by all.
Will the ASADA be there to stop cheating in c grade
The bigger problem is keeping B graders out of C grade and C graders out of D grade. The average C grader (including myself) would be better off losing 5 kilos to enhance their performance, rather than spending money on drugs. Then again, there are plenty of C graders running thousand dollar Zipps and Dura-Ace, so who knows.

I should start showing up to crits in a white lab coat to scare off the competition. :D

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:57 am

Was a decent ride. Good way to see Sydney on a nice morning...there was a bad crash on the way into SOP, bikes down, ambulance, blood - and I saw teeth - all over the pavement. I went through as the ambulance was leaving. Hope people weren't too badly hurt.

juggs

Postby juggs » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:48 pm

i just got off the couch after a 2 hour "recovery" period,

the wife and 1 started at 6.30 and finished about 9 its the longest ride ive done so far since buying the roadbike and it shows i have a long way to go
i blame my little legs for my inability to keep up on hills, i cant believe just 14 years ago i was fit enough to do the gong ride on a bmx oh to be 22 again

i really enjoyed hitting 55 on the cahill expressway :)
it was also midly amusing and embarrassing see a unicyclist keeping up in front of me i never did catch him

but on a serious note for someone who has a dislike for road riding due to being hit a few years back it was nice to do a long ride under semi controlled traffic conditions and would do more if these were put on

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Fresh wrote:Was a decent ride. Good way to see Sydney on a nice morning...there was a bad crash on the way into SOP, bikes down, ambulance, blood - and I saw teeth - all over the pavement. I went through as the ambulance was leaving. Hope people weren't too badly hurt.
Owch, that's why I worked hard to stay towards the front of the pack, the speeds we were going at sometimes coupled with nobody really knowing the route and some unpredictable hazards and choke points had me very worried about a big stack. Made it there safe in the end though, I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would especially the first section around the city still fresh and full of adrenaline pulling some good speeds.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Nice ride, need better signposts and to sort out the route a little bit more. Better than last year so happy overall.

I found myself in the second bunch to finish with Tony Abbott, and I could not resist kicking early to lead them over the line. We all know how competitive he is! Got introduced to him on the ride and he is handy on a bike.

There were nasty stacks, someone hit a bollard on the other side of the Rhodes railway bridge, a blood spraying from head style crash.

The route was changed at some point during the morning to channel people left into Olympic park instead of straight ahead and through Rhodes, must of shaved a few kms off the ride.

It did look like rain was coming in and also with the rider/s down maybe BNSW just made a call and chopped that tail end off the route.

JM

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Sydguy wrote:Nice ride, need better signposts and to sort out the route a little bit more. Better than last year so happy overall.

I found myself in the second bunch to finish with Tony Abbott, and I could not resist kicking early to lead them over the line. We all know how competitive he is! Got introduced to him on the ride and he is handy on a bike.

There were nasty stacks, someone hit a bollard on the other side of the Rhodes railway bridge, a blood spraying from head style crash.

The route was changed at some point during the morning to channel people left into Olympic park instead of straight ahead and through Rhodes, must of shaved a few kms off the ride.

It did look like rain was coming in and also with the rider/s down maybe BNSW just made a call and chopped that tail end off the route.

JM
I was in the group ahead of that one ;)

I was all set for a dramatic sprint to the finish line but I found that it was way too dangerous over those cobbles/tiles for the last few hundred meters, don't know who's idea it was to finish on those but it was kinda annoying.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Nice - In the Turramurra Cycles bunch? They put some noses out of joint by joining the ride at the start in front of people who had waited.

The 'cobbles' are fine, plenty of grip, no issues with the finish. Might even act to slow people down.

JM

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:29 pm

No I was maybe 10m back from the start line and worked my way up, wasn't really paying attention to who was in the group but I was riding behind a LACC guy for a while.

EDIT: I was the guy on the plain black carbon bike with cosmic carbone wheels and in the red DHBC jersey btw.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I was that guy in the LACC jersey, black Giant TCR.

The communication in our little bunch was good, plenty of pointing out hazards and calling obstacles.

JM

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I was that guy in the LACC jersey, black Giant TCR.

The communication in our little bunch was good, plenty of pointing out hazards and calling obstacles.

JM

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:11 pm

This should clear up the confusion about the route change:

http://springcycle.com.au/2012/10/23/st ... mpic-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically the short cut was only meant for stragglers from 1pm onwards, and the Marshall was incorrectly sending people that way. It had nothing to do with any accidents
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

I came through a little later, and the Marshal was very vehemently trying to steer everybody onto the
short-cut. While I ignored her, half my work group was lagging a bit behind and followed her direction.

They didn't want to be short-sheeted, so they thought they'd do an extra 2 x 5k lap around the brickworks/ANZ/
athletic stadium. By the time they'd done that, they realised no one else was getting misdirected, and decide
to resume the "paid for" route. So they wound up doing 60K not 50K, and got their money's worth.

The misdirected group reckon she was telling them there was an accident ahead - but it was all clear
as I went through.

Those of us that weren't sent the wrong way got to enjoy a very uncongested ride through Rhodes,
Meadowbank and back across the Silverwater Bridge etc. Only downside was having to twiddle our thumbs while
the others caught up, before heading off to the pub.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Reman

Postby Reman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 pm

queequeg wrote:This should clear up the confusion about the route change:

http://springcycle.com.au/2012/10/23/st ... mpic-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically the short cut was only meant for stragglers from 1pm onwards, and the Marshall was incorrectly sending people that way. It had nothing to do with any accidents
Yep, I was one of those misdirected. Whilst at the time it was annoying, looking back it wasn't that bad. I'm just glad I tuned around and went all the back and continued the rest of the ride, instead of calling it a day then.

As it turned out got the rewoman out on the same track from Bicentennial Park around meadowbank and silverwater. I reckon I would have got lost if I hadn't done it before!