Helping a "neighbour" sell a bike

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Helping a "neighbour" sell a bike

Postby sunho » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:41 pm

someone i know is selling a diamondback roadbike, vintage from the 80s i think looking at the gear.

Has some nice parts and some not so nice parts but the person selling it has no idea how much it is worth so i suggested to go for 50-100 range as a lot of work needs to be done.

Ill let the pictures do the talking :)
Has DUARTE under the bottom bracket, im assuming this is a place? (in california)

the hubs were so dirty i couldnt even rub it with my finger but i think it said suzuke
sunho

by BNA » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:35 pm

BNA

Re: Helping a "neighbour" sell a bike

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Looks like a low end Hiten POS from here. Ebay at 99c start, might fetch $37.33 if they are lucky. Stem mounted shifters , pressed ends and bolt on RD, make it a KMart special from back in the day. The stickers look like some kid's addition in the past. I've seen heaps of this type of bike on hard rubbish ,and been offered plenty for free, but just say "nah thanks".
BRLVR.v2

Postby sunho » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:30 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Looks like a low end Hiten POS from here. Ebay at 99c start, might fetch $37.33 if they are lucky.

lol i love the accuracy you predict this!

I thought the shimano golden arrow brakes were a nice vintage item to take apart.. other than that, junk as you say..
sunho

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:41 pm

What BRLVR said, the stickers would have just been thrown on there at some stage. I reckon you might get something for those brakes if you give them a scrub and pop them up. And if those brake levers say Shimano i'll give you $20 plus post for them, they're just what i want for my current project.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby amrjon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:38 am

The good thing about that auction site is you can just put on there and see what happens. If he's got his heart set on a number, start at that, no sale nothing lost. If he's happy just to get rid of it, stat at 99c and see what happens.
Nothing lost either way.
In terms of what it's worth, who knows. Not too crazy to think you might get $50, more if your lucky, less if your not.
Those brakes might fetch $30-40 on their own if you listed them separately.
amrjon

Return to Retro biking