How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

westab

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby westab » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:06 am

Good ride in this morning again. There were very few other cyclists about but a number of joggers.

The legs were feeling like jelly after two and a half hours of swimming last night so the ride home and then to biblestudy tonight are going to be slow.

The good news is that even if they are slow the weather is so nice that I don't care it means more time enjoying it. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:45 am

find_bruce wrote:
jasonc wrote:riverloop commute to bring up 10000kms for the year (not bad considering I was aiming for 7k)
Not very good at aiming are you, he says with more than a hint of jealousy. I suppose I should say congratulations
about as good as i am budgeting for bike stuff (I wasn't going to buy a new bike this year either....) :oops:

Am about 500kms ahead of the car for the year too. Over 8k of the kms is commuting (and extended commuting) and was doing really well with the dollars spent vs public transport costs til I bought the new bike.....

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 pm

jasonc wrote:riverloop commute to bring up 10000kms for the year (not bad considering I was aiming for 7k)
lol... And for some reason you thought you were chasing this fat old bastard. :mrgreen:

I had a nice little commute in via Redcliffe this morning... Frantically munching on my stem trying to hang on.. :o

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:32 pm

The good:
-that I was riding a bike rather than driving, duh!
-the weather.
-spotting one of my pals, who I hadn't seen in a long time. Good to catch up.
-being able to wiz past all the cars that were stuck in congestion.
-having lots of energy and no sore back during/after after riding, thanks to some core strength exercises.

The Bad:
- nothing worth mentioning or even remembering.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:06 pm

No commute for me this morning but I did finally get to take Fondy out for her first spin!!!!
Whoo hoo it's amazing....love it!

Congrats on the 10k Jason, awesome effort
Lisa

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Bloody Strava is going to be the death of me! I've been chasing a couple all week that are proving to be somewhat elusive. The upside is that I seem to be picking up other ones!

My legs are absolutely shot and I've still got another day of commuting to go!

Chased a couple of rabbits this morning and avoided some cagers wanted to share the same space time as me.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 pm

marinmomma wrote:
No commute for me this morning but I did finally get to take Fondy out for her first spin!!!!

Wohoo! I love new bikes!

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:38 pm

marinmomma wrote:

You two! I would have to wear shades if I ever saw you both riding with your brand spankin new bikes. :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Marto wrote:
marinmomma wrote:

You two! I would have to wear shades if I ever saw you both riding with your brand spankin new bikes. :D
not allowed to ride with lisa - she'll start taking KOMs soon. QOMs are too easy for her...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 pm

effort-filled ride home and unfortunately missed the KOM I wanted by 1 damn second. Bugger.

EDIT: coot-tha is going to hurt tomorrow

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:55 pm

jasonc wrote:
Marto wrote:
not allowed to ride with lisa - she'll start taking KOMs soon. QOMs are too easy for her...
That's not nice...you calling me a bloke??? :wink:
There are plenty of QOMs out there to go and get!
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:29 am

marinmomma wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Marto wrote:
That's not nice...you calling me a bloke??? :wink:
There are plenty of QOMs out there to go and get!
not calling you a bloke. am calling you faster than most blokes!

coot-tha recovery commute this morning.

EDIT: big white truck didn't like me claiming the lane on herschel st this morning and had words with me about it at the lights. to the point where a pedestrian asked him what his problem was. I explained what i did (claimed the lane), said pedestrian walked off. So Mr Truck driver, I claimed the lane for MY SAFETY so you didn't (accidentally) try and squeeze me out between parked cars and your 20+ tonne truck. Because of it you had to wait around 1 minute at a set of traffic lights. Bridge, toll....

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 am

Tailwind Down!

Temporarily, anyway.

Riding back in the on-road bike lane in Wellington St, Collingwood at normal commute speed (~30 km/h) for that stretch. Traffic as usual is backed up and moving slowly.
I approach the intersection with Stanley St and make sure there isn't a car about to creep into the bike lane, as this happens frequently.
A split second later, a car coming from the opposite direction makes a fast right turn through the gap between the backed up cars traveling in my direction, failing to check the bike lane for traffic.
My options: zero. I transitioned from cycle mode to flight mode, airborne over the bonnet and hit the deck on the other side of the car in bike lane, rolled on impact, and came to a stop about 5m away.

I gathered myself together, got up and was immediately asked by a few bystanders if I was ok. Replied that I thought I was. Quick visual check and pat down revealed body and limbs intact. No significant head impact, although the helmet shows a few scratches.
Felt ok and icy calm, and went about starting to collect driver and witness details. Driver claims she didn't see me, and was in tears.
Another bystander removed my bike from the side of the car where it was still wedged. Think I hit the front wheel/wheel well.
In my previous post I mentioned I had some issues with my SIM card, and as Murphy will have it, my phone had no connectivity at this point. Used the driver's phone to call the wife.

Used the "Bike Crash Kit" app to record the number plate and rego (with the camera) and thought I was sorted as far as information went.
Wife picks me up, and all the way home I'm thinking how it sucks to drive and be stuck in traffic.

Get home and inspect my crash report taken with the app, and the photos with the car details are missing. Great. Still have the driver's name and number, as well as the witness details, and will head of to my local branch of the boys in blue this morning.

Damage to self - bruising around my left shin, small gash on my right - either clipped the bars or the side of the car on the way over the bonnet. Left foot a little painful, probably due to the non-standard unclip. Limping a bit.
Damage to bike - frame's a write-off. Will have the rest checked out.

Hope to be back in the saddle on the standby commuter bike on Monday

Site of crash - impact was pretty close to the spot where the cyclist can be seen.

No chance of riding home :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:22 am

TailWind wrote:Tailwind Down!
just amuse the rest of us and get checked out by your GP anyway

surprisingly, the front wheel still looks good...

heal well TW.

slightly OT: this is one of the disadvantages of drop bars - you sit lower on the road and you can't see over cars/cars can't see you...

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:18 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:Tailwind Down!
just amuse the rest of us and get checked out by your GP anyway

surprisingly, the front wheel still looks good...

heal well TW.

slightly OT: this is one of the disadvantages of drop bars - you sit lower on the road and you can't see over cars/cars can't see you...
+1 to that, go see a doctor and get checked out. I'd be extremely surprised in hitting a car hard enough to snap the bike frame and toss you over the bonnet would not have done some injuries which may not become apparent till later. Unless of course it was your audition for Cirque du Soleil... Anyway, i hope you heal quickly and you can get a new bike if insurance coughs up for it.

Go with the attitude that car drivers WILL NOT check the bike lane for cyclists, and you won't be much wrong. For some strange reason they consider us invisible.

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 am

From where I work in Osbourne Park in WA, I usually need to connect to the northern bike path by going along Ellen Stirling Blvd. I'm not sure whether I should be on the footpath, but at 35kmph tight to the left in I don't think I'm an issue?

Within the space of 500m, first I get some old fat bloke with his old fat missus in their shiny new black BMW who certainly think I should be on the footpath. Pulls up next to me and gives me 'the look,' then at he joins the traffic line in front he checks his mirror and proceeds to slow down and pull in hard to the left kerb to force me to hop up onto the path.. urge to kill rising.

Then, just ahead as you start to get into the left filter area going onto Cedric St a younger man with his younger wife (and kid) in their 4x4 drive pull up onto the kerb to skip the line. I had to skid hard to avoid collision, and then in a rage repeatedly beat his car. At least he apologised when I pulled up next to him at the intersection.

I think I need a video camera.. any suggestions?

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Yikes TW! Hope it all works out for you.
Fantastic pictures of the damage - the backdrop for the bike damage images adds to the moment.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:51 pm

bike was noisy as hell. either the BB has crapped itself, the crank has failed or there's gunk in between somewhere.
only when i pedal. spinning the crank by hand results in zero noise

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I witnessed an all time level of laziness on last nights commute.
At around 300 metres from home I spotted a neighbour from across the street drive out of the train station car park, negotiate two turns and pull into her driveway, a drive of 20secs, 300 metres and perfect weather - absolutely speechless.
If I could issue an infringement notice for being a lazy terd I'd strip her of 12 license points.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:18 am

jasonc wrote:bike was noisy as hell. either the BB has crapped itself, the crank has failed or there's gunk in between somewhere.
Nasty! That could take months, or even years to fix. Lucky you have a spare bike, now. :lol: :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:34 am

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:bike was noisy as hell. either the BB has crapped itself, the crank has failed or there's gunk in between somewhere.
Nasty! That could take months, or even years to fix. Lucky you have a spare bike, now. :lol: :mrgreen:
smarty pants - fixed it yesterday. crap between BB and crank. clean (even cleaned the crank with mrs JasonC's toothbrush), regrease, put back together. test ride - all good.

today to replace the chain

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:12 pm

jasonc wrote:today to replace the chain
don't worry Jason, it doesn't take that long :-P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Kenzo wrote:
jasonc wrote:today to replace the chain
don't worry Jason, it doesn't take that long :-P
no it doesn't. longest bit was scratching my head at the amount of chain stretch :shock:

anyway. all done.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Nasty stuff tailwind, fingers crossed everything works out ok with the insurance etc. I would definitely get yourself checked out, just in case.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:09 am

TailWind is back in the saddle.

Thanks all for the recovery wishes - seems to have worked! :)

Melbourne welcomed me back into the saddle with steady rain at 7C and nice SW headwind for this mornings ride.
Using the flat-bar IGH bike - feels weird after riding the CX for the last 3 months.
Slow ride in - getting used to the old bike again, coupled with wet roads didn't make for a fast time, but that's ok. Happy to be riding after last week's involuntary aerobatics.
All body parts seem to be holding up just fine...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike