Going numb!

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
JessicaAlba

Going numb!

Postby JessicaAlba » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Started a thread a while back where I asked about hot foot, thinking I was suffereing from such. Advice given was that I was only experiencing numbness and to loosen my shoes...

Well, that has helped for the most part, but on longer rides (longer for me being more than 30km), I am still experiencing this numbness...but only on my right side. The feeling also extends to my right hand, to the point where I am fumbling at the gear levers, not knowing what my hand is doing. Left side for the most part is fine, but this habit of my right side going to sleep is becoming rather annoying. And worrying.

I am trying to adjust and monitor my pedalling style to help and it does seem to, for my feet at least. My hand is another story, as it is pretty well fixed in it's position or use and only a good shake off now and then will get the blood pumping again.

Thoughts??
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

Just*managing

Re: Going numb!

Postby Just*managing » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:52 pm

No specific advice but for me, numbness and fumbling down one side of the body sounds like a trip to the doctor if for nothing else a bit of re-assurance that it is not some sort of stroke waiting to happen

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Yeah, fair point mate.

Might just look into that...

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm assuming that the numbness goes away when you are off the bike? In which case, it's likely your grip on the bike that is causing the problems.

Just as you can loosen your shoes and wriggle you toes frequently to avoid toe numbness, changing hand positions frequently helps to avoid hand and finger numbness. Try different positions, wriggle your fingers, lift your hand off the bar, wave at another cyclist, flip a tradie the bird, scratch your ear, pick your nose, whatever, but keep them moving and be conscious of doing it.

Interestingly, finger numbness has become very common in long distance cyclists in events like Paris Brest Paris, following the introduction of ergo shifters, when down tube shifters were the norm, numbness was less common as you had to move your hands a lot more,to shift gears.

Good gloves help too , as does a nice layer of bar tape, or two - but variation of position is very important.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:30 am

JessicaAlba wrote:The feeling also extends to my right hand, to the point where I am fumbling at the gear levers, not knowing what my hand is doing.

Thoughts??
Have you got a large saddle to handlebar drop? Do you keep your hands in the same position for an extended period of time?

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:26 am

Just looking at it now, I reckon I have around 200mm drop on the Felt. The Specialized, being relaxed geometry, is probably more like 70-100mm. The problem occurs on both bikes and I do move my hands around to try to combat. I'll go from different hood grips, to drops and use the flat top bar section as well.

Cheers for replies all, I guess its something I'll have to work on with time. Its just annoying when I'm getting into a rhythm and having to keep changing position, wave my hand around to get the blood going etc.

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Some of it might just be your body needing to "harden up". If I haven't ridden for a couple of weeks I'll get tingly fingers, toes and a sore backside.

If I ride at least once a week though it's not a problem. I my case it's not a fit issue, it's just conditioning.

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:34 pm

If the ends of my toes touches the end of the inside of my shoes my toes goes numb. Likewise if the tips of my fingers are pressing against the inside ends of my gloves then my fingers go numb.

This happens to me on my motorbikes as well. Solution for me was alway to make sure I had big enough gloves and shoes.
Tom

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Leiothrix wrote:Some of it might just be your body needing to "harden up". If I haven't ridden for a couple of weeks I'll get tingly fingers, toes and a sore backside.

If I ride at least once a week though it's not a problem. I my case it's not a fit issue, it's just conditioning.
You calling me soft?? :P

Actually, I reckon I've narrowed the issue with my right foot and it's something I've been semi-conscious of for a while... I went for a small journey this arvo and noticed that the right foot tends to roll out as I pedal (more pressure on the ball, just behind my little toe) and if I look down, there is a definite positional difference in relation to the top tube, between right knee and left, with the right being a good 20mm further away than it's counterpart. I do wonder if there is a link then, between the position of that foot/knee and maybe similar compensation being taken up with my right hand on the bars. It would be ineresting to film myself, to see if I am not actually leaning over, rather than sitting bolt upright...

Is it possible to get shoe inserts to tilt my right foot (and therefore knee) further inwards as I pedal? Can I position my cleats (SPD-SL) in such a way to compensate??