Bike Hate by Austereo FM Radio Station

Tornado

Re: Bike Hate by Austereo FM Radio Station

Postby Tornado » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:53 am

il padrone wrote:The first 50-70 are dishearteningly bogan rants.
Yep. Toothless bogans chanting "They should have rego" "run em ova". Idiots. We should be chanting "Education and dental health care for toothless bogans".

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:55 am

greyhoundtom wrote:
The cyclist is well within his rights to ride in the center of the lane on a multi lane road, and most importantly of the lot is protecting his own safety by doing so.
+1, he is in a bike lane, because ALL of those lanes are bike lanes. The sooner the wider populace understands that the better.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

boss

Postby boss » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Truth comes out.

"Yes I was in passengers seat! What infuriated me is that you can see in the pic the bike lane with the picture of the bike!! He over took a bus about 300m later so crazy! And actually it was really busy on the road. Angus"

So. Bus was in the bicycle lane slash left hand lane, either stopped or going slower than this cyclist could go. He overtook it (just like any car would) and now he's a "crazy" "douche".

Anti-cyclist stuff really grinds my gears, simply because there are way more drivers (just by sheer numbers) out there that are selfish and break the 'road rules'. I quoted road rules, because frankly, half the time people complain about cyclists breaking the rules, they actually aren't.

Just the other day, I had someone undertaking me in a parking lane, I didn't know he was there, he spat the dummy complaining about how I should be indicating. As it so happens, I don't have to indicate left, and he shouldn't have been driving where he was driving. When I let him know that, it didn't seem to phase him - he was still waving his arms around, yelling etc. Funny that.

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Under current South Australian law, where a bike lane exists, cyclists *must* ride within it when it is practicable to do so and cars *may not* enter the bike lane except in certain specific circumstances.

See page 11 here

http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... __web_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can see the bike marking clearly in the bike lane in the OP's photograph and no obstacles for 200m ahead.

But of course there may be circumstances and reasons that we're not aware of.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Is it signposted Arkle? Painted lines and pics on the road mean nothing without the signs. Looks too narrow to be any more than a "If we paint some lines maybe they'll shut up" conscience easer to me.

Said my bit but meh...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:30 pm

A narrow bike lane like this on a wide main road lays itself wide open to the 'impractical' claim. A fit rider traveling at reasonable cycling speeds will place themself in a dangerous position on the road if they stick to that gutter lane at 30-40kmh - drivers often don't acknowledge your space; often, when entering from side streets or doing right turns, they do not look for a cyclist over in the left gutter bike lane. You are generally much less visible, much less of an object to take note of. On top of this it leaves much less space to avoid any obstacles or dodge any threatening cars. A 1m bike lane is fine if you are pootling at 15 kmh, but not at 30.

Hence my comments about it probably being judged unsafe by the cyclist. If it's not safe it is impractical.

Certainly riding in the lane as he is doing is a good deal safer. It may be controversial, but drivers notice you and will realise it is necessary to change lanes to overtake. You are more visible to oncoming/entering traffic as well.

Drivers may not like it so much, may be cussing in their cabin, but my experience is that they will change lanes to overtake, and I ride safer as a result.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:55 pm

biker jk wrote:Perhaps a campaign to target the adverstisers on that radio station may be in order? A truly moronic comment displaying ignorance of the road rules and encouraging road rage against vulnerable cyclists. He is the real douche.
Yes indeed. The guy is entitled to claim the lane, and the photo is only one photo that doesn't show you what is happening around the rider. Perhaps he passed a parked car before that, who knows? We don't, and I'm sure the "douche" at the radio station doesn't either.

Edit: So he was passing a bus then... That explains it.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Keep your pants on, I was only citing current road law.

I have to say though, I'd feel safer doing 30km/h in a metre wide lane that cars are not allowed to drive in than be doing 30km/h in a car lane with cars and trucks coming up directly behind me at 65km/h.

arkle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:06 pm

arkle wrote:I'd feel safer doing 30km/h in a metre wide lane that cars are not allowed to drive in than be doing 30km/h in a car lane with cars and trucks coming up directly behind me at 65km/h.
Mandatory helmet law?

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:17 pm

il padrone wrote:
arkle wrote:I'd feel safer doing 30km/h in a metre wide lane that cars are not allowed to drive in than be doing 30km/h in a car lane with cars and trucks coming up directly behind me at 65km/h.
Peace padrone, I really didn't want to get into an argument, I was pointing out that law requires us to keep inside the bike lane if there is one (and cars out).

Your video is good except 1) there isn't a metre-wide bike lane for the cyclist to ride in, 2) she's negotiating roundabouts and intersections not riding along a 3km stretch of straight road, 3) the car drivers seem rather courteous unlike the maniacal, under-passing, impatient petrolheads we have here.

Personally I avoid city thoroughfares like the plague. I wouldn't feel safe in either the bike lane or the car lane, but I think I'd feel safer out of the traffic unless I was at an intersection. This study seems to support the view that keeping in a bike lane is safer for general riding.

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/Moritz2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A RELATIVE DANGER INDEX is calculated which shows that streets with bike lanes have a significantly lower crash rate then either major or minor streets without any bicycle facilities (38 and 56% respectively).

arkle

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:18 pm

arkle wrote: I have to say though, I'd feel safer doing 30km/h in a metre wide lane that cars are not allowed to drive in than be doing 30km/h in a car lane with cars and trucks coming up directly behind me at 65km/h.

arkle
I think you are on your own there. As a motorcyclist and a cyclist I'm in favour of him being exactly where he is. He is more visible out there. Those shadows would make him harder to spot too.

If people approaching you from behind either can't see you or can't come to the conclusion that they need to alter their speed briefly and/or change lanes, they shouldn't be driving. If someone was in the left hand lane and wanted to turn into a driveway you would either slow down and wait for it to happen or change lanes. But if a cyclist is the cause for the need to think and alter your speed/lane it's the end of the world for some.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Tornado wrote:
arkle wrote: I have to say though, I'd feel safer doing 30km/h in a metre wide lane that cars are not allowed to drive in than be doing 30km/h in a car lane with cars and trucks coming up directly behind me at 65km/h.

arkle
I think you are on your own there. As a motorcyclist and a cyclist I'm in favour of him being exactly where he is. He is more visible out there. Those shadows would make him harder to spot too.

If people approaching you from behind either can't see you or can't come to the conclusion that they need to alter their speed briefly and/or change lanes, they shouldn't be driving. If someone was in the left hand lane and wanted to turn into a driveway you would either slow down and wait for it to happen or change lanes. But if a cyclist is the cause for the need to think and alter your speed/lane it's the end of the world for some.
Hey Tornada, not a Tre is it? :)

I've been a motorcyclist for 15+ years too... started one of the largest biking groups in the UK with more than 1,000 members now. Motorbikes are a bit different because they can easily match the speed of cars, they have mirrors and they can accelerate out of difficulty. Whenever I've lingered too long in a car lane on a straight road on a bicycle I've had car drivers shout abuse at me, swerve in in front of me, come up close behind me, beep their horns at me - the road in question is long and straight, maybe there are circumstances we're not aware of but deliberately riding a bicycle in the middle of a car lane when there's a clearly marked bike lane is asking for trouble from the psycho crowd in my opinion.

Peace :)

arkle

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:57 pm

I don't think the issue here is if the cyclist is in the right or wrong, the issue here is one of the Adelaides largest 15 - 40 year old demographic radio stations going out of their way to perpetuate bike hate against cyclists. Doing such things does nothing but put cyclists at further risks regardless of whether they are riding in a designated bike lane or not... I can testify to that after having 4 ribs broken and a cracked vertebrae after being hit whilst in the bike lane 3 weeks ago here in Adelaide...

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:20 pm

il padrone wrote:
I have watched that video a few times now and still think something isn't quite right about it.

The other drivers are way to courteous and I would like to see the lead vehicle/vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised if they have flashing lights etc.

If on the other hand there is no flashing lights etc and the other drivers really are that courteous, then why are drivers here such pigs.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:37 pm

GraemeL wrote:
I have watched that video a few times now and still think something isn't quite right about it.

The other drivers are way to courteous and I would like to see the lead vehicle/vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised if they have flashing lights etc.

If on the other hand there is no flashing lights etc and the other drivers really are that courteous, then why are drivers here such pigs.

Graeme
That makes sense to me too. She is sitting up on the tops not appearing to be exerting herself yet looks to be doing30+ kph. She doesn't look to be Judith Arndt either :wink:
Certainly sitting in the draft of a vehicle which makes the vid inapplicable IMO.
Riding like that in Bogan prevalent Australia will cause aggressive driver behaviour at best.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:42 pm

GraemeL wrote:then why are drivers here such pigs.
Seems like some drivers feel quite comfortable harassing cyclists in part because "jocks" like Angus think it's a big laugh to publicly encourage harassment.

(Updated quote attribution.)
Last edited by Howzat on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:43 pm

GraemeL wrote:I have watched that video a few times now and still think something isn't quite right about it.

All such videos are made by Dual Chase Productions, and shown on Cyclist View. Many are made using League of American Bicyclist instructors. They do not use motor cars as lead vehicles, but rather use two camera cyclists, riding in line. Notice the cyclist has a camera on her helmet as well.
Dual Chase Productions wrote:These materials are targeted to cyclists, cycling advocates, educators, law enforcement, and government officials.

Our materials are available in the form of PowerPoint presentations (with integrated video), as well as standalone DVDs. All of our video is unstaged, showing cyclists in real on-road traffic situations.
Dual Chase Productions wrote:The "Dual Camera View" was our first innovation in May 2005. The cameraman has two helmet mounted cameras (one pointed forward, one pointed backward) and a switch to toggle between both views. The cameraman can then switch to the rear view on occasion.

Dual Chase ViewTM - best
Dual Chase ViewTM is our latest innovation in January 2006. Both cyclists are equipped with helmet mounted cameras in order to shoot simultaneous front and rear views. This allows synchronized "picture in picture" video display of both the front and rear views. Now it is possible to view traffic flowing around integrated traffic cyclists.

http://www.dualchase.com/about.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the 'courteous behaviour', try riding wider one day. I used to have a lot of grief from close-passing drivers. One day, speaking to a friend who cycles and motorcycles who said "I always own the lane, on a moto or on the pushie", I tried it. Since then, on any troublesome sections of road I ride wide in the lane, and drivers never give me grief. It is mostly the fear factor that holds us all back, and we never really discover correct traffic control.
Mandatory helmet law?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:56 pm

arkle wrote: when it is practicable to do so
This is the important part of that law, and it is up to the rider's discretion. I'm amazed no one else has mentioned the very strong possibility that the 'bike lane' was full of gravel/broken glass/whatever else that might present a hazard. If any such stuff was present it would make riding there impractical.

Re the video on riding big, i ride like that and have no problems at all. Rural roads, suburbs, city, doesn't make any difference. On a single lane road i will ride 'big' and when i hear a car approaching i will tell them with my body language that i am moving over a little and LETTING them pass, a smile and a wave as they pass and i usually get the same back.

Basically (and no offence intended to anyone) in my opinion it is best to treat motorists as you would a troublesome child, letting them know in no uncertain terms who is boss, and rewarding good behaviour. Works for me.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:then why are drivers here such pigs.

Howzat:
I am not the author of that quote... Can u please remove it?
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Except for Angus of course..........he's allowed to post offensive, bullying comments. :roll:

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Nice find. Well SAFM... When are you cleaning up your page?

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:06 pm

I suggest that Adelaide based cyclists take screen shots of anti-cyclist comments for future use in the event of Car vs Cyclist accidents. Surely some of the Bogan comments would suggest that it instead of an "accident" it may in fact have been a criminal act (assault with a weapon)
2012 Oppy A4

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:20 pm

il padrone wrote:All such videos are made by Dual Chase Productions, and shown on Cyclist View. Many are made using League of American Bicyclist instructors. They do not use motor cars as lead vehicles, but rather use two camera cyclists, riding in line. Notice the cyclist has a camera on her helmet as well.
I stand corrected il padrone. If there is not vehicle in front of her then it is applicable to an unescorted road cyclist.

I still find the lack of agro from the drivers surprising though and not consistent with my experience cycling in Australia. I am regularly on bunch rides and whilst the majority of drivers are courteous there almost always at least one arrogant tool.
Perhaps the makers of the video edited out the redneck driving behaviour, or drivers simply aren't as bad as in Aus(more likely)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Somebody's just posted on SAFM's Facebook page:
I was there when this shot was taken... The guy had just overtaken a vehicle on the side of the road ...... The only "douche " is the clown by the name of Angus.....
The story gets more interesting :o
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:52 pm

warthog1 wrote:I still find the lack of agro from the drivers surprising though and not consistent with my experience cycling in Australia. I am regularly on bunch rides and whilst the majority of drivers are courteous there almost always at least one arrogant tool.
Perhaps the makers of the video edited out the redneck driving behaviour, or drivers simply aren't as bad as in Aus(more likely)
I doubt there is too much editing of that nature. That would contradict their stated aim of showing real world cycling. If you look at their video clips most of them are continuous. I also doubt that US drivers are really too much less redkneck than our own Aussie bogans.

One issue you may be getting is the response to the 'bunch ride' groups. They've had a lot of bad PR, what with the Hell Ride issue and such. People get such a bee in their bonnet about lycra. When I commute to work I ride in regular street clothing (although some of it is designed as cycle-specific clothing that looks like normal street wear). This is mainly due to the total lack of facilities at my work place, but I also tend to think that because I look like just a 'guy on a bike' that I may get less aggro from drivers. They don't identify me as a lycra-warrior.

Maybe so, maybe not, but I don't get any abuse when commuting. We're all just trying to get to work or get home.
Mandatory helmet law?