Road tyre recommendations

DoogleDave

Re: Road tyre recommendations

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:21 am

DavidTomic wrote:
DoogleDave wrote:For anyone interested in the GP4000S's, BikeBug in Sydney currently have them on sale for $39 ea.
Thanks for the heads up ... it's hard to pass up on prices like that! Conti race tubes are going cheap too, so I bought up big on those as well!

http://www.bikebug.com/tubes-continenta ... -8447.html
I bought a couple extra Conti tubes as well....looks like they changed their packaging. The boxes I received look different to the last race 28 tubes I purchased a while ago....but the tubes are the same.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:39 pm

How are the conti's Dave?

Looks like I wont be needing mine for a while.

I was saving away for my TWE wheels thinking end of August early September I can place an order in time for ABD and the wife comes home from gym tonight to inform me that she managed to back the car into a Honda parked in the gym car park :shock:

Fanbloodytastic there is a lazy $600 for excess and there goes my wheels for another couple of months :cry: I wont be needing the tyres for a while :evil:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:51 am

yarravalleyplodder wrote:How are the conti's Dave?

I was saving away for my TWE wheels thinking end of August early September I can place an order in time for ABD and the wife comes home from gym tonight to inform me that she managed to back the car into a Honda parked in the gym car park :shock:

Fanbloodytastic there is a lazy $600 for excess and there goes my wheels for another couple of months :cry: I wont be needing the tyres for a while :evil:
Oh, no! That's terrible. I hope there wasn't much damage done..??

As for the Conti's, so far so good. Rode 105km's on them last Sunday (which was their first outing) and they feel great.
I used to run 110psi(front)/120psi(rear) with the Zaffiro's but I've dropped to 105/115 with the Conti's and they do seem more comfortable to ride on (seemed less harsh on the road) - but that may be down to the slight change in tyre pressure as well.
They were quite easy to get on (and off - I put my old Zaffiro back on the rear to run the bike on the trainer during the week/bad weather) and they seem to roll nicely and are quite grippy (as expected).

The weirdest thing is seeing my bike every night when I get home from work and there's no more white tyres. It makes the bike look completely different (and I think suits the matt black of the frame nicely).
I'll post up a pic when I get a chance.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 am

DoogleDave wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:How are the conti's Dave?

Oh, no! That's terrible. I hope there wasn't much damage done..??

As for the Conti's, so far so good. Rode 105km's on them last Sunday (which was their first outing) and they feel great.
I used to run 110psi(front)/120psi(rear) with the Zaffiro's but I've dropped to 105/115 with the Conti's and they do seem more comfortable to ride on (seemed less harsh on the road) - but that may be down to the slight change in tyre pressure as well.
They were quite easy to get on (and off - I put my old Zaffiro back on the rear to run the bike on the trainer during the week/bad weather) and they seem to roll nicely and are quite grippy (as expected).

The weirdest thing is seeing my bike every night when I get home from work and there's no more white tyres. It makes the bike look completely different (and I think suits the matt black of the frame nicely).
I'll post up a pic when I get a chance.

Dave
Good to know about the black, when I get my TWE's I was tossing up whether or not I get red spokes (similar to the fulcrum racing zero's http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collect ... way-fit--2) but I think I will stick with red spoke nipples and red hubs, keep the rest black

There is no damage to our car but a busted rear tail light on the Honda and a scratch to their bumper. I know it was an accident and yes we are insured and nobody was hurt but its still $600 that I didnt want to spend on a claim but on some shiny new wheels for my Felt and in time to show off on the ARB :lol: Looks like I will have to wait until bonus time at the end of November :cry:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:11 pm

Continental GP 4000s Tyre for $39 or VITTORIA Rubino Pro III for $30?

Getting a new set of wheels so I thought I should put on a new set of tyres. What do you think is a better buy?

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Lazyweek wrote:Continental GP 4000s Tyre for $39 or VITTORIA Rubino Pro III for $30?

Getting a new set of wheels so I thought I should put on a new set of tyres. What do you think is a better buy?
I have just put GP4000s on my new TWE's. Big test is tomorrow when I do my usual 61km ride but after 5 km the other day, new wheels WOW :shock: and new tyres fantastic, they look good also :wink:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:20 pm

After using Vittoria and Michelin racing tyres,
went for GP4000s out of pure recommendation (without prior research)
had no problems with durability, grip, not sure about rolling resistance as this is so hard to truly evaluate.
keeping them at 105-110 psi, actually never had a puncture after 1000km but it is way to early to truly tell the difference

grnis200

Postby grnis200 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:46 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:For the record I'd never go back to 23's.
So true.

I run 25mm on all my road wheels.
I have had a great experience with 25mm GP4000S on my good race bike.
Love the 25mm 4Season tyres for commuting.

Tubular - I ran GP4000S (22mm) tubulars but ruined 3 tyres in less than 1500kms.
Since then I've run the Schwalbe Ultremo 25mm tubulars and love them. (run with sealant)

NB: I would love to try Continental tubeless with sealant if they ever come but I'm not holding my breath.
Weekends: Giant TCR Advanced SL1 - Full carbon, Dura-ace, Custom 50mm tubulars
Commute: Giant TCR Alliance 1 - Carbon / Alloy Frame, full Ultegra G/set, Dura-ace 24mm CL rims, AYUP lights