Bike Hate by Austereo FM Radio Station

OppyA5

Re: Bike Hate by Austereo FM Radio Station

Postby OppyA5 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Well if he is indeed on Anzac Highway then alongside him is the bike lane and by law here he has to use it. Two hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon they are considered a "Clearway" and no parking. One of the biggest problems is the bike lanes are in such poor condition due to deterioration or littered with glass, nuts, bolts, broken pallets you name it it's there. So in some respects I don't blame riders avoiding them but the federalies are out checking us out. :)

skull

Postby skull » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:02 pm

I have experience that too.

When commuting in normal clothing I tend to not cope any grief from motorists.

EDIT: The photo and comments have been removed from the site.
Last edited by skull on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks to SCA or the pressure put on them by everyone we and others asked for, the pic has been removed from their FB page.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:17 pm

OppyA5 wrote:Well if he is indeed on Anzac Highway then alongside him is the bike lane and by law here he has to use it.
Not true in many circumstances like.... (but not limited to)
OppyA5 wrote: the bike lanes are in such poor condition due to deterioration or littered with glass, nuts, bolts, broken pallets you name it it's there.
Where practicable is the wording.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:30 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Thanks to SCA or the pressure put on them by everyone we and others asked for, the pic has been removed from their FB page.
No apologies however, to the specific cyclist and Adelaide cyclists in general, for their crass visual and verbal barrage of insults :roll:

[edit] Ok there has been this from this guy Angus:
Howdy guys! Thanks for the post we pulled down the photo because the conversation had reached its opinion on both sides. Please know I never intended to "incite hatred" toward cyclists or anyone in general as I mentioned last night in the post. I myself cycle to work twice a week it was an observation from the passenger seat of a car of an individual the conversation ad topic was turned by the people on the post. I realize now the term "douche" was stupid on my behalf in retrospect and ill wear that. Thanks for your and everyone's post, hope you had a good weekend! Angus
Last edited by il padrone on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm

From Angus:
" Howdy guys! Thanks for the post we pulled down the photo because the conversation had reached its opinion on both sides. Please know I never intended to "incite hatred" toward cyclists or anyone in general as I mentioned last night in the post. I myself cycle to work twice a week it was an observation from the passenger seat of a car of an individual the conversation ad topic was turned by the people on the post. I realize now the term "douche" was stupid on my behalf in retrospect and ill wear that. Thanks for your and everyone's post, hope you had a good weekend! Angus."

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:43 pm

" Howdy guys! Thanks for the post we pulled down the photo because the conversation had reached its opinion on both sides. Please know I never intended to "incite hatred" toward cyclists or anyone in general as I mentioned last night in the post. I myself cycle to work twice a week it was an observation from the passenger seat of a car of an individual the conversation ad topic was turned by the people on the post. I realize now the term "douche" was stupid on my behalf in retrospect and ill wear that. Thanks for your and everyone's post, hope you had a good weekend! Angus."

The vitriol started within the first few replies and was allowed to carry on for so long one can only assume that SAFM condoned them. The disgraceful post was only pulled because cyclists became aware that they were being vilified by an Australian business and those cyclists let that business know that their attitude stank.

So kudo's to those that stepped in. And I do hope screen grabs were taken. Certainly a database of people with hateful / homicidal attitude to other road users would be helpful IMHO
2012 Oppy A4

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Thanks to SCA or the pressure put on them by everyone we and others asked for, the pic has been removed from their FB page.
Looks like I missed the party.... I was looking forward to reading some of the comments!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:31 pm

YuAft after close to 200 replies on their post, other posts by cyclists on their page, our posts and tweets, they took it all down and we followed suit. Nothing mean or cruel except the comment I made regarding Hamish and Andy, but it's done with to a degree.

maestro

Postby maestro » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Postieboy wrote:Looks like I missed the party.... I was looking forward to reading some of the comments!
Same here... All I could find was another prize piece of journalism, complete with photo of a woman breastfeeding a dog. (The comment shown just under the photo is "Do we really need to comment on things like this" :roll: )

All I can say about the quality of their journalism is... "at least it's consistent"!

There is a question on "what would you spend $100 on" and the top rated comment is.
Buying Angus a copy of the Australian Road Rules........before he shoots himself in the foot again. LOL

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:27 pm

maestro wrote:
Buying Angus a copy of the Australian Road Rules........before he shoots himself in the foot again. LOL
LOL!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:53 am

I was just on SAFM with Angus and Hailey around (10 minutes ago) to chat about yesterday. It seems Angus genuinely had no idea it would go so far, and he's more than a little shell shocked at the moment. He realised that as a cyclist himself it was poor form and that the social media has a great habit of coming back and biting you on the arse. I myself mistakingly posted a weird pic of a woman breast feeding a Pug on the SCA wall on Staurday instead of my own. It didn't go down well :)
Anyhow, we're glad the comments from the bogan brigade are no longer readable and Angus will be much more careful in the future.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks for jumping on and lending support guys... Much appreciated...

I have emailed the screen capture to BileSA, CyclingSA, & Cycling Australia for their comment.

Seems Angus's response is a little more indepth and manufactured than the personal reply I got from him on twitter this morning...

LM324

Postby LM324 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:22 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:From Angus:
It suprises me that he cycles to work 2 times a week and still doesn't know about riding in the primary position etc.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 am

As if he rides a bike to work... Spin from his employer I'd suggest...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:I was just on SAFM with Angus and Hailey around (10 minutes ago) to chat about yesterday. It seems Angus genuinely had no idea it would go so far, and he's more than a little shell shocked at the moment. He realised that as a cyclist himself it was poor form and that the social media has a great habit of coming back and biting you on the arse. I myself mistakingly posted a weird pic of a woman breast feeding a Pug on the SCA wall on Staurday instead of my own. It didn't go down well :)
Anyhow, we're glad the comments from the bogan brigade are no longer readable and Angus will be much more careful in the future.
It's a shame that it is still necessary to take the 'nuke' option. We are all on this land together, so let's try and exist peacefully. For car users that means not running cyclists off the road, and for cyclists, not going through the red pedestrian light like the guy on the weekend at The Horsley Drive did (around 11:30am).

boss

Postby boss » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:18 am

g-boaf wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:I was just on SAFM with Angus and Hailey around (10 minutes ago) to chat about yesterday. It seems Angus genuinely had no idea it would go so far, and he's more than a little shell shocked at the moment. He realised that as a cyclist himself it was poor form and that the social media has a great habit of coming back and biting you on the arse. I myself mistakingly posted a weird pic of a woman breast feeding a Pug on the SCA wall on Staurday instead of my own. It didn't go down well :)
It's a shame that it is still necessary to take the 'nuke' option. We are all on this land together, so let's try and exist peacefully. For car users that means not running cyclists off the road, and for cyclists, not going through the red pedestrian light like the guy on the weekend at The Horsley Drive did (around 11:30am).
I reckon he (more likely SAFM) took the nuke option as the post and subsequent comments by SAFM could be reasonably interpreted as inciting discontent/hatred.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:31 am

What I found humorous in this (and most social media commentary) is the commenter’s replies that are often hate filled or ignorant, with their name, likeness and a link to their profile directly adjacent... often with info about where they work, were (or were not educated) and generally freely accessible info about them. And all this is often on the internet forever, for all to see. I mean anonymous posting is one thing, but commenting through Facebook is pretty silly.

I’ve researched potential employees in the past and my first point of call is usually Facebook. It amazes me that not only people can be so stupid, but they like to publicize to what extent, whilst putting it all on record for everyone to see forever.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am

No, I meant by us having to get all steamed up to point out the wrongs of inciting hatred. The more people we can get on bikes, the less this will happen.

clydesmcdale's comment is also part of the reason I don't use Facebook or other social networking stuff.

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:30 pm

maestro wrote:
Postieboy wrote:Looks like I missed the party.... I was looking forward to reading some of the comments!
Same here... All I could find was another prize piece of journalism, complete with photo of a woman breastfeeding a dog. (The comment shown just under the photo is "Do we really need to comment on things like this" :roll: )

All I can say about the quality of their journalism is... "at least it's consistent"!

There is a question on "what would you spend $100 on" and the top rated comment is.
my local radio station which is linked to austereo , every so often they will put a "nipple slip pic" taken from "thedirt website" a quick google can find the original pic which has no nipple slip at all , just a loose top with the side of the breast exposed , so of course being the good cyber slueth i am lol , i let the station know that they are full of crap

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:40 pm

biftek wrote: my local radio station which is linked to austereo , every so often they will put a "nipple slip pic" taken from "thedirt website" a quick google can find the original pic which has no nipple slip at all , just a loose top with the side of the breast exposed , so of course being the good cyber slueth i am lol , i let the station know that they are full of crap
Your dedication to truthfulness and research is an inspiration to us all, and I, for one, salute you sir!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cobba

Postby cobba » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Seems Angus's response is a little more indepth and manufactured than the personal reply I got from him on twitter this morning...
More of Angus: http://twitter.com/Angus_OL/status/2594 ... 64/photo/1

zero

Postby zero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:36 pm

OppyA5 wrote:Well if he is indeed on Anzac Highway then alongside him is the bike lane and by law here he has to use it. Two hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon they are considered a "Clearway" and no parking. One of the biggest problems is the bike lanes are in such poor condition due to deterioration or littered with glass, nuts, bolts, broken pallets you name it it's there. So in some respects I don't blame riders avoiding them but the federalies are out checking us out. :)
The "cyclelane" is of inappropriate width for the traffic speed, and has a kerb seam running down it (which matters because its of inappropriate width), and is dangerously located around sliplanes (where it is absolutely much safer to ride in the lane and enforce serialisation with people trying to turn).

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:20 pm

zero wrote:
OppyA5 wrote:Well if he is indeed on Anzac Highway then alongside him is the bike lane and by law here he has to use it. Two hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon they are considered a "Clearway" and no parking. One of the biggest problems is the bike lanes are in such poor condition due to deterioration or littered with glass, nuts, bolts, broken pallets you name it it's there. So in some respects I don't blame riders avoiding them but the federalies are out checking us out. :)
The "cyclelane" is of inappropriate width for the traffic speed, and has a kerb seam running down it (which matters because its of inappropriate width), and is dangerously located around sliplanes (where it is absolutely much safer to ride in the lane and enforce serialisation with people trying to turn).
It really does bear questioning - how many drivers will drive 30cm away from doors at 55kmh? Absolutely none. I regularly will hit 50kmh several times during my commute and you just CANNOT stay that close to the kerb unless you want to go to hospital at some point. Some of us are not breaking any laws and go A LOT faster than the expected speeds for a painted cycle lane. :idea:

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm

The cyclist was also defamed in the FB picture, I think the photo was tagged with something along the lines of "captain !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!" or something similar from memory. I hope the cyclist finds out about the picture and askes for an apology.

If Angus does actually ride to work, it would be great if someone from Cycling SA orr similar offered to ride with him a couple of times to show him what others face on a commute, maybe it could be broadcast as well to raise awareness.

The comments people make on FB is always suprising, people may think it is "funny" to say to run him off the road, but have they ever thought that if in future they are ever involved in a genuine accident and this previous statement becomes known that they will have big issues in court?