My dream frame.

Lots of steel bikes

My dream frame.

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 pm

My passion is 1980s racing bikes. This is my ideal frame wish list.

Steel (of course)
Lugged
Chromed curved forks
Pantographing (the more the better)
Chromed rear triangle
Braze on FD mount
Drop out adjusters
Solid colour (not keen on flouro or fades)
Internal cable routing
Seat tube from 58 to 62 (I'll make it fit)

I have two bikes that meet almost all of these criteria. Pinarello Veneto & Bianchi TSX Ultralite.
I believe that the Gazelle has all of these attributes. Does anyone have a Gazelle for sale or trade?

familyguy

Re: My dream frame.

Postby familyguy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Even the Gazelle CM AA frames aren't a fully chromed rear triangle. Never seen a Gazelle with chromed forks. And only the older ones were solid colour.

I reckon you'll need to go Italian to get what you want. Colnago Master more spcifically.

Jim

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:12 pm

familyguy wrote:Even the Gazelle CM AA frames aren't a fully chromed rear triangle. Never seen a Gazelle with chromed forks. And only the older ones were solid colour.

I reckon you'll need to go Italian to get what you want. Colnago Master more spcifically.

Jim
Hmm, a qick search of google images confirms your thoughts on the Gazelle. I thought I saw a chrome forked one at the last Pushies Galore. I must have been mistaken. Gazelles are really nice though.

Thanks Jim.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Have a look here maybe. http://www.bike-vintage.com/9-frame-and-fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:00 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Have a look here maybe. http://www.bike-vintage.com/9-frame-and-fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I remember looking at this site sometime ago. Most of the frames had already been sold and I didn't go back. Lots more now though. Thanks for the reminder. There's a Gazelle with a replacement chrome fork.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:14 am

Tommasini Tecno
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:Have a look here maybe. http://www.bike-vintage.com/9-frame-and-fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I remember looking at this site sometime ago. Most of the frames had already been sold and I didn't go back. Lots more now though. Thanks for the reminder. There's a Gazelle with a replacement chrome fork.
I was one click away from buying this a month ago :)

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:08 pm

diggerdantheman wrote:
You still are ya know,all it takes is money and an impulse.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
diggerdantheman wrote:
Lots of steel bikes wrote: I remember looking at this site sometime ago. Most of the frames had already been sold and I didn't go back. Lots more now though. Thanks for the reminder. There's a Gazelle with a replacement chrome fork.
You still are ya know,all it takes is money and an impulse.
Ha! With a half built bike on the stand I'd like to fool myself into thinking I have neither of the aforementioned.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:17 pm

diggerdantheman wrote:
Has anyone bought from this site? A search reveals mixed feelings.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote: Has anyone bought from this site? A search reveals mixed feelings.
Yep, bought a BB from them. They do exist and the part was the one pictured. faster than expected shipping too. Communication was fast as well. I'd buy a frame from them.

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 pm

I just pulled the trigger on these
I sent an email asking the length and got a prompt reply.. credit card payment was nice and secure. No alarm bells ringing so far.

bargain :D

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 am

Slow6 wrote:I just pulled the trigger on these
I sent an email asking the length and got a prompt reply.. credit card payment was nice and secure. No alarm bells ringing so far.

Good to hear. I've had multiple pm's from members since posting this link asking ifthis seller was legit. My experience was good and I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. Where did you getyourmixed feedback stee!lbikes? Anylinks to share?

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:07 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:

Good to hear. I've had multiple pm's from members since posting this link asking ifthis seller was legit. My experience was good and I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. Where did you getyourmixed feedback stee!lbikes? Anylinks to share?
There is some seemingly misguided suspicion on the London Fixed Gear forum. (lfgss.com). The owner of bike-vintage chimes in.
A curious 'wouldn't touch with a barge pole' response on ukanswers.yahoo.com Further reading seems to equate poor English with a dodgy site. Very unfair.
A good report from fixed.org.au
He has just 3 negative feedback responses on his now de-registered ebay account. Not too bad out of nearly 400 transactions.
Has had an unfortunate PayPal dealing and therefore doesn't offer PayPal as a payment option.
Has a FAQ on own site explaining why some emails go unanswered.

All in all I don't think I would have a problem buying if the right frame comes along.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:21 pm

i bought a headset "in good condition" and the races were brinelled to the point of it being put on the shelf instead of in a headtube.
pictures form part of the description so ask for plenty of pictures, i guess..

having said that, i would probably buy again, depending on the item, and the immediacy of the need of said item.
overall his prices aren't anything special, nor his inventory.

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:

Good to hear. I've had multiple pm's from members since posting this link asking ifthis seller was legit. My experience was good and I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

Thanks again for the heads up :)

Semar

Postby Semar » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:22 pm

My AA Special. As fast as it looks. Has unique provenance too. 8)
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:51 pm

My AA Special. As fast as it looks. Has unique provenance too. 8)[/quote]

Do tell.

Semar

Postby Semar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:37 am

When the bike arrived from Holland, it had Shimano clip less pedals, brake levers, front derailleur and 1992 paintwork. But the Campag parts and Mavic wheels said 1984ish, as did the serial number. I discovered via London Fixed-gear and Single-speed http://www.lfgss.com that some bikes had a problem with the seat post clamp and were returned to factory. A contributor, 'Dutch Cheese' worked for Gazelle and was a brilliant resource. He said that the factory put their best brazer to work fixing them. They obviously 'updated' the paintwork afterwards.

Now the Gazelle has all Campag Nuovo Record, except for the blue leather pedal straps. The cassette is 14, 15, 16, 17, 18. Fine for Holland and the Goulburn Valley. I also removed the Mavic Monthlery Pro tubular rims and replaced them with clinchers. The tubs were just too prone to punctures.
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

dv

Postby dv » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Very nice Gazelle. I'm really surprised as there are quite a few very nice and very well maintained vintage racing bikes in the Netherlands but there are LOTs of places you don't want to ride them. There are a lot of cobble stone bike paths and a racer would not last two years if you tackled those - and Dutch people generally don't. I guess everyone has big heavy oma and opa bikes too. :D