UCI strips Armstrong of 7 TDF wins and bans him for life

biker jk

UCI strips Armstrong of 7 TDF wins and bans him for life

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Pat McQuaid throws Armstrong under the bus, says Armstrong has no place in cycling (well you could say the same about Pat).

asmc

Re: UCI strips Armstrong of 7 TDF wins and bans him for life

Postby asmc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:19 pm

whats your source? the UCI site is down (or just too busy) :P

http://www.uci.ch
Cervélo Soloist Carbon SRAM Red

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Threw him under the bus?
He was guilty, and wasn't even made the fall guy outta all of this.
He was the biggest cog in the whole doping machine, and the uci finally grew a pair.
Hein Verbruggen also needs to be held accountable for all his years of turning a blind eye to all this.
Justice.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:25 pm

MarkG wrote:Threw him under the bus?
He was guilty, and wasn't even made the fall guy outta all of this.
He was the biggest cog in the whole doping machine, and the uci finally grew a pair.
Hein Verbruggen also needs to be held accountable for all his years of turning a blind eye to all this.
Justice.
I mean Pat didn't try to defend Armstrong by appealing to the CAS but threw threw him under the bus, as appropriate. I'm no Armstrong fanboy. Pat of course has no intention to resign. That's a real pity for the sport.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:26 pm

I think the perjury angle is the most interesting - that is pretty serious in the US, he could do time.

JM

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:26 pm

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-con ... s-life-ban" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Am I wrong to think the UCI treated doping as a wink-and-giggle affair for at least 20 years?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Pat says there's no conflict of interest with the UCI doing the drug testing. :shock: He insists on the UCI retaining control of drug testing. This means that cycling will never be reformed.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:38 pm

I notice Cadel has now admitted working with Ferrari as well :roll: ... still more muck to be flung around :| .

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Now many have just achieved one of their lifetime goals. That is to have as many TdF titles as Lance Armstrong. :lol:

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm just mad that Contador has been welcomed back with open arms by the UCI. After being stripped of a Tour de France title for doping.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Nobody wrote:Now many have just achieved one of their lifetime goals. That is to have as many TdF titles as Lance Armstrong. :lol:
True and LA now has more test****s than TdF wins.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:51 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I notice Cadel has now admitted working with Ferrari as well :roll: ... still more muck to be flung around :| .
Got a link to this?

would be interesting to read.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:52 pm

biker jk wrote:
Nobody wrote:Now many have just achieved one of their lifetime goals. That is to have as many TdF titles as Lance Armstrong. :lol:
True and LA now has more test****s than TdF wins.

:mrgreen:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:53 pm

I now have as many TdF titles as Lance Armstrong. I am now satisfied with my cycling career.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:54 pm

jacob_T wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I notice Cadel has now admitted working with Ferrari as well :roll: ... still more muck to be flung around :| .
Got a link to this?

would be interesting to read.
Ferrari tested Cadel, once. Not the same as employing Ferrari as his training/drug doctor.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-c ... ri-in-2000

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:02 pm

This is my take on it - we now have closure. There is still a mess and implications but it is also now possible to move on.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2012/10/lanc ... victories/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cycling is in my BNA

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:03 pm

During his MTB days. That doesnt count. :)

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:05 pm

zero

Postby zero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Glad they decided to declare no winner for the 7 years. Seems the most morally honest way to deal with it all.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:14 pm

what race?
Cycling is in my BNA

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:18 pm

sogood wrote:
I now have as many TdF titles as Lance Armstrong. I am now satisfied with my cycling career.
Aha. All in just one month of cycling for me :mrgreen:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Here is the UCI statement from their website (back online)
UCI wrote:The UCI has completed its review of USADA’s ‘Reasoned Decision’ and appendices in the case against Lance Armstrong.

The UCI considered the main issues of jurisdiction, the statute of limitation the evidence gathered by USADA and the sanction imposed upon Mr. Armstrong.

The UCI confirms that it will not appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and that it will recognise the sanction that USADA has imposed.

The USADA decision explains how riders on the USPS Team showed no inclination to share the full extent of what they knew until they were subpoenaed or called by federal investigators and that their only reason for telling the truth is because the law required them to do so.

These riders have confronted their past and told their stories. Their accounts of their past provide a shocking insight into the USPS Team where the expression to ‘win at all costs’ was redefined in terms of deceit, intimidation, coercion and evasion.

Their testimony confirms that the anti-doping infrastructure that existed at that time was, by itself, insufficient and inadequate to detect the practices taking place within the team. The UCI has always been the first international sporting federation to embrace new developments in the fight against doping and it regrets that the anti-doping infrastructure that exists today was not available at that time so as to render such evasion impossible.

Many of the USPS Team riders have already acknowledged that the culture of cycling has now changed and that young riders today are no longer confronted with the same choices to use performance enhancing drugs. They are right to do so.

The UCI has recognized the problem of doping within the sport and taken significant steps to confront the problem and to clean up cycling. Today’s riders are subject to the most innovative and effective anti-doping procedures and regulations in sport. Cycling has been a pioneer in the fight against doping in sport under the leadership of the UCI and this role has been recognised by WADA.

Today’s young riders do not deserve to be branded or tarnished by the past or to pay the price for the Armstrong era. Cycling has a future and those who will define that future can be found among the young generation of riders who have chosen to prove that you can compete and win clean.

Riders who were caught doping continue to do the sport a disservice by protesting that the UCI refused to engage with them. The reality is that these riders never contemplated such action until they were found positive by the UCI, and even then they refused to confess and co-operate with the UCI.

Those riders who made the choice to stop using performance enhancing drugs, and to share their stories to enable the new generation of riders to learn from the mistakes that were made in the past, can continue to support clean cycling.

The role that training and education has to play in discouraging doping at all levels is well recognised by the UCI. The UCI will engage with any rider that is willing to work with them in the fight against doping and interested in establishing what lessons can be learned and applied to its ‘True Champion or Cheat?” programme which is obligatory for all riders subject to anti-doping tests.

This is not the first time cycling has reached a crossroads or that it has had to begin anew and to engage in the painful process of confronting its past. It will do so again with renewed vigor and purpose and its stakeholders and fans can be assured that it will find a new path forward.

That process extends beyond the UCI and the anti-doping agencies including WADA, USADA, AFLD and CONI must contribute to it by also examining how many times they tested Lance Armstrong and by providing their own explanation for why he never tested positive in the tests that they respectively conducted.

The UCI tested Tyler Hamilton 40 times and found him positive. It tested Floyd Landis 46 times and found him positive as the winner of the Tour de France. The list of riders that it has found positive does not end there.

The UCI has tested Lance Armstrong 218 times. If Lance Armstrong was able to beat the system then the responsibility for addressing that rests not only with the UCI but also with WADA and all of the other anti-doping agencies who accepted the results.

The UCI supports WADA’s decision to create a working group to examine ‘The Ineffectiveness of the Fight Against Doping in Sport’ and proposes that it commence its work by examining the effectiveness of the system in place to detect the use of performance enhancing substances in cycling.

The UCI is committed to reviewing the environment upon which the sport operates in order to ensure that something like this never happens again. It has convened a special meeting of its Management Committee on Friday, October 26th to begin the process of examining the existing structures and introducing changes to safeguard the future of cycling.

UCI Communications Service
Source
Cycling is in my BNA

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 pm

The UCI either knew and are corrupt, or didn't know and are incompetent. They also haven't dropped their case against Kimmage. The UCI needs massive reform. The leadership must go.

They also need to change the way the whole regime is policed. The time it took for Contador's case to be resolved was ridiculous and one can only conclude they were not serious in prosecuting the charges.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:48 am

DavidS wrote:The UCI either knew and are corrupt, or didn't know and are incompetent. They also haven't dropped their case against Kimmage. The UCI needs massive reform. The leadership must go.

They also need to change the way the whole regime is policed. The time it took for Contador's case to be resolved was ridiculous and one can only conclude they were not serious in prosecuting the charges.

DS
+1
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!