Sunshine Coast Cycling

gooldin

Sunshine Coast Cycling

Postby gooldin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Hey guys,

Just looking for someone of similar age (20-30) to go for cycles with either before work or at the weekends! I live at Currimundi, work at Kawana Waters!

I need some motivation :D
Cheers,
Kev

jacob_T

Re: Sunshine Coast Cycling

Postby jacob_T » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:16 am

I'm around Buderim. Would definitely be keen to go for a roll sometime.

What's your skill level? I'm pretty new to the sport, but reasonably fit. Generally doing 50-90km rides.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 am

I believe there's a bunch that meets at Mooloolaba most mornings, i'm further up the coast so on the odd occasion i join a bunch it's the one from Noosa.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Yeah I've heard about the Mooloolaba one alright!

Jacob, that sounds good to me! Although I'm a little out of practice - I'm definitely keen for 50-90km rides!

haha this feels like a bloody dating website
Cheers,
Kev

Alkata85

Postby Alkata85 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:46 am

Hi,
My names Alyssa & I'm 27.
Im moving to Buderim anytime between now & christmas & am just trying to get a heads up on finding someone to go on some rides with. I don't know the sunshine coast well at all as I"m from Bundaberg.

Does anyone have fb who I can add to perhaps have contact with for when I do move to meet up for a ride??

Ta :-)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:09 pm

There's a couple of websites for the Sunshine Coast Cycling Club, this one i knew about http://sunshinecoastcycling.com.au/site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and this one i just found http://noosacycling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The newer website has a link to the facebook page (which i also didn't know about). They have training rides (some of which are at a relaxed pace, note that does NOT include the early Thursday ride, they are UNBELIEVABLY fast, 55kmh+ on the flat) every day of the week, and organise regular racing if you're interested.
Other than that there is a Sunday bunch that meets in Noosa, they are really friendly and don't go crazy, just enjoy the ride and each other's company. It's a bit of a hike from Buderim but those are the only bunches i'm familiar with, i'm sure there will be some further south.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm still slightly nervous about riding with a bunch... most I've done is a group of 4. But I'll definitely get there. Kind of worried I'll be shunned for my Reid bike, after reading a lot of stuff on this forum. ahaha.

This week I've got Tuesday, and Wednesday morning off, and all day Thursday, so if any of those times work, we could go for a roll then? I'll see if I can get some other friends together and get a little peloton going on?

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Also found this, for folks down a bit further south on the coast...

http://www.revolutioncycling.com.au/927 ... rides.aspx

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi everyone,
Just new to the scene. Live in Palmwoods, skill level err................... Well endurance is my problem at the moment. I did the ride from Palmwoods to Montville on razorback rd. on my trusty Raleigh 27/11/12 with a non-mountain friendly 40/23 smallest ratio!

Walked and cycled took me 52 minutes moving with 8 minutes rest, total of 1hr. Could not physically move the pedals in some parts.
Lander shoot to Chevellum and back about 1hr avg kph 18.9, again not enough strength, endurance for the hill bits.

I am buying a new bike with a compact before Christmas. Giant Defy or Scott CR1. So that should help.

Any real novice ladies out there, my wife is on her first ever road bike and is building road confidence slowly. Loves it so much, I can have a new bike~!

She rode the closed section on the Palmwoods to Montville rd. from the Kirby rd., (now Kirby rd. that’s a killer) to the site of the landslip. And back down to Palmwoods school. Ran out of confidence at the island..

Enjoyed a social from Fishermans Rd markets to Mooloolaba, brekkie at cotton tree on way back, that really helped, the ride not the brekkie, sedate pace but brought her on leaps and bounds. Avg speed 12k's this was a shared cycle path ride.

Oh I am 39 wife 51.

Look forward to meeting you!

Alistair

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Get in touch with fionahills, she is on the coast and also getting started.

Razorback is a really awfully hard climb, even with a 30-32 bottom gear it was seriously hard work the last time i went up there, i would say Bald Knob would be a more enjoyable climb (though i wouldn't like to come back down it, the only times i've been up it i've continued through maleny to conondale then back to the coast over the obi obi, which makes razorback look like a speedbump!).

Riding from Nambour up to Mapleton might be alright too, i've only ever done that going downhill, the stretch from Dulong lookout is a huge amount of fun.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi there

I am in Twin Waters and would be happy to get together for a ride - Spin City at Mooloolaba is having a girls only ride next wednesday morning early - newbies welcome. Give them a call - ask for Louise - she is great. I'm going to that cos got a bit nervous on the road following a bus incident and riding with a group always gives me confidence....

Lately I tend to ride from twin waters along motorway path, over the bridge and around some of the quieter roads - sometimes ride on my own and sometimes with my girls (4 of them but all grown up). We do between 10 and 20 kms and at the moment sometimes ride morning and afternoon.

Have ridden from here to noosa a few times, sometimes go to Peregian from here and have a coffee - and go back again - that's a nice ride with most of it having a cycle lanes except a bit of coolum. Its also a nice ride from here to Palmers Resort, ride a couple of little hills behind it, turn around and then we stop at Marcoola for coffee on way home -

the sunshine coast touring club are also really nice people and have all different length rides for different levels. Crit track is fun - we tend to load the bikes into the truck and go up and ride til we are too tired to keep going - no many laps at this stage I'm afraid. Gyndier drive is also fun -let me know if you'd like to catch up - am working from home at the moment so easy to arrange something Fiona

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Yeah. The razorback is not an easy climb at all. I've been trying to make an effort to go up there as much as possible. It really does help your fitness.

Haven't got over to obi obi yet. Does that come up near the mapleton national park?

Hey Fiona I think I might have passed you a few weeks back going over the maroochydore bridge with two younger ladies.
I think you were wearing a jersey that said France (or maybe it was Paris)?

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi Jacob

Yep that was me in my paris jersey - huffing and puffing away or else talking!!!- probably with my daughters -

hope I was nice and smiled - :D

it was probably before the bus incident - we were getting brave then and venturing further afield - bit nervous now so sticking to the paths and marked bike lanes -

you were probably one of the speedy young things that I look at with envy - say hi next time -

I'm on a black giant with purple/black & white camo bar tape!!!! its an aquired taste -caused a bit of a stir at the bike shop :D :D some love it some hate it - I love it

fiona

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 pm

jacob_T wrote: Haven't got over to obi obi yet. Does that come up near the mapleton national park?
Yep, make sure you take a REALLY tiny granny gear, absolutely no way it's happening with standard cranks. Last time i did it with 30-32, out of the saddle at 5kmh with the front wheel lifting off the ground and the rear wheel slipping. It's steep!

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Fiona - not sure if you remember me but I was in a red jersey. I said hi and mentioned that I liked your jersey. Will definitely have a chat next time I see you.

Ldr - sounds crazy. I'll definitely have to head out there some time and see how I go.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:19 pm

yep - i remember - think i said thanks - be thankful you said you liked it - otherwise I might have smacked you :lol:

definitely chat next time

fiona

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Jacob T,

Thank you for your info and hi Fiona.

Spoke to the GLW and she would still like to build confidence further before meeting you. I will leave that with her at her pace but Pam did read some of your posts and likes that you argue with bus drivers and drink coffee.

Pam starts work early and tends just to ride around the area tackling more difficult roads in the neigbourhood, it is really hot at 4pm ish so she is not going far. I do see me taking her further early Sunday mornings.

I did look on STRAVA today Fiona, you seem to have some nice long levelish non road circuits near you. Are they busy as she is really interested in picking up the pace of her rides? Found the pace of the Fishermans Rd to Mooloolaba to pedestrian filled to get any speed up.

Fiona can we follow you on STRAVA? Thought it better to ask than to stalk! :oops:

Alistair.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Alistair

of course you can follow strave- though I am very slow and not likely to be much inspiration -

I think my bus driver incident will now be the defining moment in my cycling...... :) let her know whenever she is ready to get in touch

PS I really do not smack people normally and I Loveee coffee.

Fiona

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:42 pm

We will be riding sunday near the sunshine m-way from Bradman ave in around area from 7 ish till 830. Shame if we were to bump into any of you. "Cough"! But we do a have a function at 9 in m'dore so can't hang around long.

TTFN

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 pm

sorry to miss you but have been babysitting so perfect excuse to spend the morning at the beach (and the last 2 days)......did ride this afternoon though...

hope you had fun and Pam is enjoying the bike

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Hey gooldin.
You still around and keen to go for a spin?
I'm thinking of joining the mooloolaba group ride at 6 tomorrow if you're interested?

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey mate, I'm actually gonna go with the guys from "get biking" at 5:30 tomorrow, as it's a bit closer to home than mooloolaba!
Cheers,
Kev

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

All good.

Where do they ride?

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 am

jacob_T wrote:All good.

Where do they ride?
Here's this mornings ride (I stopped early to chill out at the beach - i struggled), and the second is from a Tuesday morning!

Tuesdays hills, Thursdays flat and fast!

http://app.strava.com/activities/31102893

http://app.strava.com/activities/27650623

They leave from the bike shop "Get Biking" at 5:30!
Cheers,
Kev

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Crits at the new track in Noosa tomorrow from 5:30, come along to watch me suffer at the back of the B grade pack! :) .