Experiences with Cyclecover post change to Allianz?

Dr_Mutley

Experiences with Cyclecover post change to Allianz?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:54 am

Hi all...
I'm insured with cyclecover, and they have provided an exceptional level of insurance to me for a few years now. Cyclecover however, has recently changed underwriters from QBE to Allianz, and I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with them since this change?

A friend of mine is currently going through a claim after bring run off the road and injured by a car. They are finding the claim process now to be quite a painful path, unlike the ease of the previous underwriter, QBE.

If this is indeed a frequently encountered occurrence now, I may look for a different insurer, as the last thing I want to experience is a difficult insurer when/if my time of need arises.

Anyone else have any recent experience with Cyclecover & Allianz?

Cheers
Harry

Dr_Mutley

Re: Experiences with Cyclecover post change to Allianz?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59 am

Ps:
I've openly endorsed cyclecover in the past on this forum, as I did have to make a claim sometime ago, and i found cyclecover fantastic on that occasion....

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 pm

no one?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:no one?
Has anyone had a claim with cyclecover/Allianz?

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Sorry to jump into your thread Doc but I'm interested to know more about this issue and bike insurance in general.

I did an online quote with NRMA and it said they couldn't cover me at all!

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 pm

The Walrus wrote:Sorry to jump into your thread Doc but I'm interested to know more about this issue and bike insurance in general.

The post by "Shorts" may be of interest to you. here

Bicycle Insurance

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:09 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
The Walrus wrote:Sorry to jump into your thread Doc but I'm interested to know more about this issue and bike insurance in general.

The post by "Shorts" may be of interest to you. here

Bicycle Insurance
Thanks mitz

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi all,

I just thought i would report that I am nearing the end of an insurance claim process through cyclecover.

I had a wipeout around a roundabout in the Perth hills - it had rained for the first time in a few months so some some of the roads had heaps of grease and oil. I ended up scratching my cranks, pedals, shifters, RD, scuffed my shoes and saddle and a couple of tears on my bib knicks and jersey. Thankfully no frame damage though. I took photos of all the items and took my bike in to get a quote for all the damaged parts + labour for fixing. I sent through a claim form to cyclecover on around 10 March with the first quote I got for the replacement parts, and suggested that as I had bought my kit and shoes online, I could provide invoices for them. However the cyclecover rep recommended that I simply add the cost of the equivalent goods to the bike shop quote.

As the other bike shop which I had requested a quote from had still not given a quote (they still haven't at the time of me typing this), the cyclecover rep lodged the claim with Allianz on the 19th with just the single repair quote, informing me that if Allianz required a further quote, they would contact me directly.

9 days later - I have just received an email confirming that the cheque for the bike repairs and replacement kit is in the mail for me.

So yeah, in response to the OP - I have found the claims process with cyclecover commendable and would recommend them to others.

Cheers
Andrew

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks Andrew,
I've unfortunately had to find out first hand about cyclecover's claims process under Allianz, after being taken out by a car. Bike was a total write off after T-boning a car at 40km/hr.

So.... I got a quote from the only cervelo dealer in Adelaide for the comparable replacement bike and bits, which totaled close to $14k. I sent pics of the wreck to cyclecover who forwarded them on to Allianz with my claim. Allianz bartered down the claim 10% for various reasons, and offered a further $300 less to keep my wreck. In all I was pretty happy with all of this and received a settlement cheque (around 12k) quite promptly.

So I would still recommend them after this claim. My experience was somewhat different to that of my friend, so their issues may have been more user issues, rather than Allianz's belligerence.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Not cycling related but Allianz are no longer my insurerer for anything because of poor service and unreasonable premium increases. Obviously thats OK when you have a number of options as far as choice goes but when choices are few I guess you have to take whats available.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Allianz have just increased the standard excess on the cyclecover policy....